Weird News Compilation

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Weird
In summary, a man who used to be a Fox News guest analyst and claimed to be a CIA agent was sentenced to 33 months in prison for lying about his security clearance, criminal history, and finances.
  • #1,086
fresh_42 said:
There was a cartoon of a coach talking to a men's hockey team: "Get out there and play like a girl."

Likes Astronuc, sysprog, collinsmark and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,087
Keith_McClary said:
There was a cartoon of a coach talking to a men's hockey team: "Get out there and play like a girl."
Sure it wasn't the US-American soccer team?

• Wow
Likes sysprog
  • #1,088
@Astronuc, I can almost hear Desi wondering aloud why Lucille had the air mattress handy ##-## "Lucy; you got some 'splainin' to do . . ."

• #1,091

• Wow
  • Sad
Likes strangerep, Keith_McClary and jack action
  • #1,092
Rhut-Rho...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airasia-malaysia-snake-plane-rerouted-intl-hnk/index.html

1644943747128.png

• #1,093
berkeman said:
Rhut-Rho...

Lol, it was probably trying to find the. . . RAT. . 😒. .😣

• #1,094
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/drained-crypto-accounts-ira-financial-205505694.html

They joined IRA Financial Trust eager to build a nest egg in crypto. Instead, some users told CoinDesk their retirement accounts were drained, frozen and locked – with little explanation of what happens next.

It’s been nearly one week since an apparent security breach threw IRA Financial’s clients into crisis mode. With $36 million of their retirement savings in limbo and no full explanation from either IRA Financial or Gemini – the crypto exchange owned by the Winklevoss twins, Cameron and Tyler, and custodian where their crypto was held – they’ve begun organizing a response to crypto’s latest hack.

Users, appearing to count in the dozens, have begun reaching out to news organizations and regulators, wanting to know how they lost possibly millions of dollars on Feb. 8, when an apparent bad actor began withdrawing funds en masse from Gemini. IRA Financial Trust is one of a handful of firms that run their retirement account services atop Gemini’s institutional trading and custody suite.
:oops:

• Wow
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #1,095
Hometown in the news.

• #1,096
nsaspook said:
Hometown in the news.
I didn't watch the whole 15min. I was hoping it would be installed in the road.

• Haha
Likes nsaspook, berkeman and BillTre
  • #1,097
Google Maps Navigation... "Keep right at the fork" :smile:

• #1,098
berkeman said:
Google Maps Navigation... "Keep right at the fork" :smile:
And be careful with art! It doesn't prevent you from getting a ticket!

Untitled-design-86.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes nsaspook, Keith_McClary, sysprog and 1 other person
  • #1,099
Keith_McClary said:
I didn't watch the whole 15min. I was hoping it would be installed in the road.

It's pretty close to the road.

• #1,100
A very dated (San Bernardino Sun, Volume 51, 2 July 1945), but amusing story (although not amusing for the owner of the automobile). I saw the headline and wondered how an aircraft carrier could interact with an automobile, since both occupy very different realms. I figured it must have something to do with a port or ship collision.

Aussie's Car Squashed by U. S. Carrier
SAN FRANCISCO, July 1, 1945 (LP)
An Australian motorist has collected insurance for damages suffered when his automobile was hit by an American aircraft carrier, the Melbourne radio said today.

The motorist, Keith Waters of Sydney, parked his car on a wharf beside the carrier. Tides were unusually high.

While Waters was dining aboard a nearby vessel, the tide fell. Part of the American carrier projecting over the end of the wharf descended upon Waters' car and squashed it flat.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, BillTre and berkeman
  • #1,101

Ouch!​

Remi Lindholm says goodbye to the Beijing Winter Olympics with what is probably the strangest injury: the Finnish cross-country skier froze his penis during the last competition, as he told the Finnish media after the race. Lindholm had had the same mishap a few months ago at the competition in Ruka - now history was repeating itself.

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes OmCheeto, Astronuc, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #1,102
fresh_42 said:

Ouch!​

I think frostbite damages the circulation, making you more susceptible.

• #1,103
Keith_McClary said:
I think frostbite damages the circulation, making you more susceptible.
There's a reason Nature arranged for the little guy to retreat back into his cave during inclement weather...

• #1,104

Half a Billion in Bitcoin, Lost in the Dump​

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/12/13/half-a-billion-in-bitcoin-lost-in-the-dump
For years, a Welshman who threw away the key to his cybercurrency stash has been fighting to excavate the local landfill.

In a cluttered desk drawer, he [the gentlemen in question] found two small hard drives. One, he knew, was blank. The other held files from an old Dell gaming laptop, including e-mails, music that he’d downloaded, and duplicates of family photographs. He’d removed the drive a few years earlier, after he’d spilled lemonade on the computer’s keyboard. Howells grabbed the unwanted hard drive and threw it into a black garbage bag.

His girlfriend took the garbage bag to the local landfill per his request.

He left for Cyprus and apparently started to realize what he had done.

A rather costly mistake.

Last edited:
  • #1,105
Astronuc said:
Bitcoin, Lost
There are quite a few stories like that. If Bitcoin is lost, does that make the remaining bitcoin worth more?

• #1,106
Keith_McClary said:
There are quite a few stories like that. If Bitcoin is lost, does that make the remaining bitcoin worth more?
I don't understand bitcoin, but it has something to do with blockchain.

Bitcoin is a digital currency, a decentralized system that records transactions in a distributed ledger called a blockchain. ... Upon success, these blocks are added to the blockchain record, and the miners are rewarded with a small number of bitcoins.

or
https://www.pwc.com/us/en/industrie...intech/bitcoin-blockchain-cryptocurrency.html

I guess that fact that there is a demand and some rapid appreciation makes it desirable, until it doesn't. I suspect it works like real estate, which is in demand until it isn't, partly because the majority cannot afford it.

According to the article, "Illicit activity likely helped bitcoin appreciate in value, . . . " As I recall, for example, some malevolent actors using ransome malware required bitcoin funds to unlocked hijacked computers.

Last edited:
  • #1,108
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02...haviour-by-removing-tracking-device/100851458

Magpies have outwitted scientists by helping each other remove tracking devices​

When we attached tiny, backpack-like tracking devices to five Australian magpies for a pilot study, we didn't expect to discover an entirely new social behaviour rarely seen in birds.

Our goal was to learn more about the movement and social dynamics of these highly intelligent birds, and to test these new, durable and reusable devices. Instead, the birds outsmarted us.

As our new research paper explains, the magpies began showing evidence of cooperative "rescue" behaviour to help each other remove the tracker.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G, BillTre and Keith_McClary
  • #1,110
nsaspook said:
Georgia toddler diagnosed with extremely rare uncombable hair syndrome
On first glance, I thought that must be a toddler pic of Boris Johnson.

• Haha
Likes nsaspook, BillTre, fresh_42 and 3 others
  • #1,111
  • #1,112
Tom.G said:
Are you sure there is not a Van de Graaff generator just out of the picture frame?

View attachment 297479

(My father and) I built one of those from scratch for a Science Fair when I was in high school... and got my younger sisters hair to stand out too!
I thought the ball was one!

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #1,113
fresh_42 said:
I thought the ball was one!
It is the low-power manual VDG model... :wink:

• Haha
Likes fresh_42
  • #1,114
Dog house hit by meterorite in April 2019 sells at auction for $44,000:

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 1.55.04 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Borg and Ibix
  • #1,115
BillTre said:
Dog house hit by meterorite sells in April 2019 at auction for $44,000:
Does anyone know if @davenn has a dog?

• Haha
Likes Oldman too, davenn and BillTre
  • #1,116
Ibix said:
Well, he did. Sadly...
BillTre said:

View attachment 297523
Meteorite not included?

• Haha
Likes Oldman too, epenguin, dlgoff and 1 other person
  • #1,117
No.
I don't think so.
Should have been mentioned if it was.

• #1,118
Ibix said:

not since living in Oz

berkeman said:
Well, he did. Sadly...

yeah, sadly, died of tummy cancer back in 1999
Sarah.jpg

• Sad
Likes strangerep, BillTre and berkeman
  • #1,119
That's a good looking dog, Dave! :smile:

Likes davenn
  • #1,120
BillTre said:
Wanna buy a snow shovel hit by meterorite? How about ... uh ... a barbecue hit by meterorite?

Likes BillTre