Weird News Compilation

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Weird
In summary, a man who used to be a Fox News guest analyst and claimed to be a CIA agent was sentenced to 33 months in prison for lying about his security clearance, criminal history, and finances.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/05/tech...-space-hero-reality-television-scn/index.html

1628187281074.png

(CNN) The hottest new reality show isn't set in a house, on an obstacle course, or on the Jersey Shore. Television producers are betting on a new location: the International Space Station.

Two reality television shows are in the works that would offer a first for viewers by taking them inside the ISS, as a member of the public will be awarded a multi-million dollar experience to space as the grand prize on both. The Discovery Channel is considering "Who Wants to Be an Astronaut" while a competitor, "Space Hero," is hoping to land somewhere else.

The "Who Wants to Be An Astronaut" premise is simple and relies on traditional reality television tropes. Here on Earth, contestants will vie for an all-expenses-paid trip to live on the ISS for eight days. The as-yet unknown "variety of extreme challenges" are designed to determine which competitors have what it takes to be a real astronaut, and passage to space will be provided by Houston-based space broker Axiom Space. While NASA hasn't confirmed that Axiom Space will even be able to secure a seat on a commercial rocket, Discovery is confident in its plans. The media company has even enlisted former astronaut Mike Massimino's consulting services.

Likes Ivan Seeking
Physics news on Phys.org
That actually sounds like a blockbuster show.

This list says Game of Thrones had a budget of $15 million per episode for the final season.
Sending a game show winner to the ISS for a week is about $50 million (via Axiom->SpaceX). Certainly in the budget if they can make a series of successful shows out of it.

1 and 2 cent ($/€), 1 Yen and similar coins could get retired, too. Some Euro countries do that already.
Switzerland got rid of its 1 centime coins in 2007.

I have a feeling that some countries are keeping those around to force people into using cards instead.
Even beggars tends to give you a cold look if you try to deposit the piled up clatter to them.

Likes Keith_McClary
mfb said:
What a weird propaganda video.
Yeah, it looks like they are trying to justify their existence as a new, separate military force. I think all of these pieces existed before, so hopefully we had these capabilities before. But I don't know if there is some advantage to combining those forces into a single, separate military force.

berkeman said:
Yeah, it looks like they are trying to justify their existence as a new, separate military force. I think all of these pieces existed before, so hopefully we had these capabilities before. But I don't know if there is some advantage to combining those forces into a single, separate military force.
Sure there is. This way you get to say SPACE FORCE!

Presumably it makes sense for the same reason the other branches are separate from each other.

About 27,000 pounds of Degree women's spray deodorant exploded in Northeastern Oklahoma after a semi-truck caught fire on Friday.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-war-zone-that-smelled-lovely-explosion-of-womens-deodorant-rocks-truck-stop/ar-AAN5roC
"It looks like Roman candles going off," Oakley told the outlet. "And you're walking through everything, it looks like a war zone. Especially at 5 o'clock in the morning."

Fox 23 reporter Scott Martin shared various photos from the scene. In one tweet, he shared a video of the fire in progress and described the aerosol cans as "popping off like fireworks."

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, nsaspook and BillTre
at Dodger Stadium
He didn't dodge that well, apparently.

• Informative
Likes jack action
The tiny (~8 km) Saturn moon Skathi has become one of the 50 most viewed articles on the English Wikipedia, averaging 60,000 views per day. Why? No one knows. It's speculated that some app uses the page as check if it can connect to Wikipedia.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and Astronuc
mfb said:
The tiny (~8 km) Saturn moon Skathi has become one of the 50 most viewed articles on the English Wikipedia, averaging 60,000 views per day. Why? No one knows. It's speculated that some app uses the page as check if it can connect to Wikipedia.
The end is near! They are already among us.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc

Driver Plunges Cadillac Into Sinkhole After Ignoring Cones and Barriers​

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/driver-plunges-cadillac-into-sinkhole-after-ignoring-cones-and-barriers/ar-AANeiQM

Astronuc said:

Driver Plunges Cadillac Into Sinkhole After Ignoring Cones and Barriers​

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/driver-plunges-cadillac-into-sinkhole-after-ignoring-cones-and-barriers/ar-AANeiQM
_nc_ohc=SB1cC5RXEtEAX9MbH5C&_nc_ht=scontent-dus1-1.jpg

• Haha
Likes Frabjous, Ibix, Ivan Seeking and 4 others
Likes collinsmark
It's just a warning not an error, programmers will ignore it anyway.

Likes Hornbein
I'll never be able to understand people who leave their car running like that. :oldeyes:

Likes 2milehi
Borg said:
I'll never be able to understand people who leave their car running like that. :oldeyes:
Is your car running? Better hurry up and catch it! (Adapting an old joke about refrigerators.)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Hamiltonian
I have read about a candidate for the Darwin Award today. His smartphone accidentally fell into a river. A river that is wide at his location, and definitely opaque. Nevertheless, he decided to jump into the water and dive for it.

They haven't found him yet.