Wave on string, bdry cond is mass on spring

In summary: Solving the ODE in (a) with these initial conditions gives$$\xi(t)=\xi_0\cos(\sigma t)+\frac{\dot{\xi}_0}{\sigma}\sin(\sigma t).$$Note that this is the same form as the solution for a simple harmonic oscillator.
koopernikos

Homework Statement

A semi-infinite string (constant tension T and density ρ) lies along the positive
x-axis. The motion of the string is described by the linear wave equation
\begin{equation}
h_{xx}-c^2h_{tt}=0
\end{equation}
with
c² ≡ T/ρ, where h(x,t) is the transverse displacement. Attached to the end of the string at
x = 0 is a mass m. Attached to the mass in the vertical direction is a spring with stiffness
constant k that has its other end attached to a rigid surface. The vertical displacement of
the mass m is designated by ξ (t) ≡ h(0,t). When the system is in equilibrium (i.e.,
when the spring is unextended and everything is at rest) ξ (t) ≡ 0. The radian frequency
of the free oscillator (when the string is not attached) is σ = k /m .
(a) By applying Newton's law to the motion of the mass at x = 0, find the boundary
condition on the string at x = 0. That is, find the equation of motion of the mass in
terms of ξ (t) . Ignore horizontal forces on the mass, and ignore gravity.
[HINT: the boundary condition should not have any terms showing h(0,t).]
(b) Prove that the total energy of the mechanical system (oscillator and string) is constant.
(c) Suppose that at t = 0 the initial conditions are

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
There are two forces (neglecting $\vec{g}$) acting on the mass: one due to the displacement (spring) and one stemming from the tension in the string.
\begin{align}
F_{net}
&=
\sum_i F_i\\
f_{net}
&=
\sum_i f_i\\
\ddot{\xi}
&=
-\sigma^2 \xi
+ c^2 h(0,t)_{xx}
\end{align}

b)
?
c)
?

...aaand that is about as much as i can come up with..

i played around with seperating variables a bit.. i don't even know what type of solution to expect.. something like
\begin{equation}
h(x,t)=e^{-At} (B \sin(kx-\omega t)+ C \cos(kx-\omega t))
\end{equation}
?
obviously
\begin{equation}
\sigma \neq \omega
\end{equation}

please help! I've been staring at the problem for 4 hours

Physics news on Phys.org
and have gotten nothing. A:a) The force balance for the mass $m$ at $x=0$ is$$m\ddot{\xi}=-k\xi+T\,h_{x}(0,t).$$b) To prove the total energy is conserved, we need to calculate the total energy of the system which is given by $$E=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{\xi}^2+\frac{1}{2}k\xi^2+\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\infty}T(h_x^2+h_t^2)\,dx.$$Now, differentiating with respect to time we get\begin{align*}\frac{dE}{dt}&=m\dot{\xi}\ddot{\xi}+k\xi\dot{\xi}+\int_0^{\infty}T(2h_xh_{xt}+2h_th_{tt})dx\\&=m\dot{\xi}(-k\xi+T\,h_{x}(0,t))+k\xi\dot{\xi}+T\,h_x(0,t)\,h_{xt}(0,t)+T\int_0^{\infty}(2h_th_{tt}-h_xh_{xx})dx\\&=m\dot{\xi}(-k\xi+T\,h_{x}(0,t))+k\xi\dot{\xi}+T\,h_x(0,t)\,h_{xt}(0,t)+T\int_0^{\infty}0dx\\&=m\dot{\xi}(-k\xi+T\,h_{x}(0,t))+k\xi\dot{\xi}+T\,h_x(0,t)\,h_{xt}(0,t)\\&=0.\end{align*}Note that the last integral is 0 since the wave equation holds everywhere, including $x=0$. Hence the total energy is conserved.c) We have the initial conditions:$$\xi(0)=\xi_

Related to Wave on string, bdry cond is mass on spring

1. What is a wave on a string with boundary conditions of mass on a spring?

A wave on a string with boundary conditions of mass on a spring is a physical phenomenon where a disturbance or energy travels through a medium, in this case a string, with one end fixed to a mass on a spring. This creates a system where the wave is reflected back when it reaches the fixed end, causing interference and resulting in various wave patterns.

2. How does the mass on a spring affect the wave on the string?

The mass on a spring affects the wave on the string by providing a fixed boundary condition that reflects the wave back when it reaches the end. This creates standing wave patterns and alters the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

3. What is the role of boundary conditions in a wave on a string?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the behavior and characteristics of a wave on a string. In the case of a mass on a spring, the fixed end acts as a boundary that reflects the wave and causes interference, resulting in standing wave patterns. Boundary conditions also affect the frequency, wavelength, and amplitude of the wave.

4. How is the speed of a wave on a string with boundary conditions of mass on a spring determined?

The speed of a wave on a string with boundary conditions of mass on a spring is determined by the tension of the string, the mass of the object on the spring, and the length of the string. This can be calculated using the formula v = √(T/μ), where v is the wave speed, T is the tension, and μ is the mass per unit length of the string.

5. What are some real-world applications of a wave on a string with boundary conditions of mass on a spring?

Some real-world applications of a wave on a string with boundary conditions of mass on a spring include musical instruments such as guitars, where the strings are fixed at both ends and the mass on the spring is the bridge. This type of wave system is also used in seismology to study seismic waves and in industrial applications for quality control and testing of materials.