Time related story plot device question

In summary, a man falls asleep and wakes up in the future. He doesn't remember the last 20 years, but has aged, and so has everyone else. He tries to find out how this happens, and tries to get those years of his life back.
TheQuestionGuy14
Hi. So I have a story idea and my main plot device has something to do with time. I want it to be a more science fiction than fantasy so I was hoping someone could help me. The general idea is, a man falls asleep only to wake up 20 years in the future, in one night, he cannot remember the last 20 years, but he has aged and so has everyone else, it as if time jumped forward and he's in the future. Is there any way I can make this plot device work without obviously violating the laws of physics, so it is reasonable? I don't want to use the whole 'he was frozen' plot device, I want it to seem a bit magical, but yet be a bit logical. Is it possible to do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Amnesia, and it has been done, not memorably. Might be able to recall when and by whom, but, as I say, it was not a particularly remarkable item.

Last edited:
TheQuestionGuy14 said:
he cannot remember the last 20 years, but he has aged and so has everyone else, it as if time jumped forward and he's in the future.

It's an often seen scenario in fiction. An interesting variation would be if the man himself and most people around him aren't interested in his past. Perhaps there's only one irritating guy who keeps pestering him about it - and then the irritating guy gets knocked off ... or was this supposed to be a romance novel?

Stephen Tashi said:
It's an often seen scenario in fiction. An interesting variation would be if the man himself and most people around him aren't interested in his past. Perhaps there's only one irritating guy who keeps pestering him about it - and then the irritating guy gets knocked off ... or was this supposed to be a romance novel?

Well I want it to be mystery, he tries to find out how this happens, and tries to get those years of his life back. But, I don't want it to be a coma or amnesia, I want it to be something like time itself changed (like how you age different due to time dilation), but this guy literally jumped ahead 20 years, but I don't know how to do that without throwing the laws of physics out the window

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
I don't know how to do that without throwing the laws of physics out the window

Nor does anyone else!

One interpretation of a version of the double slit experiment suggests we might be able to alter the past. Rather it suggests all possible versions of your past might exist and you can change which one occured.

So at a stretch i suppose you might be able to justify someone messing with his past in a way that does something similar to what you are looking for.

CWatters said:
One interpretation of a version of the double slit experiment suggests we might be able to alter the past. Rather it suggests all possible versions of your past might exist and you can change which one occured.

So at a stretch i suppose you might be able to justify someone messing with his past in a way that does something similar to what you are looking for.

Interesting, but how would you lay that down? The many worlds interpretation states that these alternate pasts will never intersect, and these alternate universes only branch off when a quantum effect is made, like the double slit. I guess that could be the sci-fi element, someone managed to intersect and change them.

Likes CWatters
TheQuestionGuy14 said:
Well I want it to be mystery, he tries to find out how this happens, and tries to get those years of his life back.
Maybe he never succeeds.

Maybe both he and his younger self are now alive as an unexpected (unexplained to the reader) by-product of some experiment and if they are allowed to meet "scientists" fear there will be some universe-destroying consequences, so he is being isolated.

If you want the story to have unexplainable physics in it, just put it in as unexplained.
But, I don't want it to be a coma or amnesia,
Any particular reason? If you're going to use a basic plot that's been used a hundred times, why not use its most plausible aspects?There's always the old Secret Government Project plot ingredient - maybe the guy has no past. He is an artificial intelligence that's been implanted in the body of human being. The body has a history - that of its former owner. But the history of the former owner turns out to having nothing to do with the history of our guy - who has no history.

However, I think that's less interesting than the usual find-out-my-past type of story. Suspense in that type of story can some from the guy seeming to be find out that he was evil and naughty and meeting people who tell him of his character defects etc. Then he solves some mystery and it turns out he wasn't so bad after all.

Unfortunately for plot artists, plots don't have much to do with the quality of fiction. It's the specifics of how they are executed that count. It's like real life. There are plots such as: I go shopping and then have lunch at a restaurant with my friend Ned, who will complain about the service. It's a bland plot, but entertaining if well executed.

Related to Time related story plot device question

1. How does the concept of time travel work in a story plot?

In most cases, time travel in a story plot involves the use of a scientific device or technology that allows characters to physically travel through time. The specifics of how this device works and its limitations can vary depending on the story, but it typically requires some form of advanced technology or understanding of quantum mechanics.

2. What are common themes or challenges associated with time travel in a story?

Some common themes or challenges associated with time travel in a story include the consequences of altering the past, the ethical implications of changing history, and the potential for paradoxes or alternate timelines. Time travel can also be used as a tool for character development and exploration of philosophical ideas.

3. How do writers handle the complexities of time travel in their stories?

Writers often use techniques such as flashbacks, foreshadowing, and multiple timelines to help readers understand and navigate the complexities of time travel in their stories. They may also establish rules or limitations for time travel within their story world to maintain consistency and avoid confusion.

4. Can time travel be explained scientifically in a story?

While the concept of time travel may seem far-fetched, there are scientific theories and principles that can be used to explain it in a story. These may include concepts from physics, such as the theory of relativity, or ideas from quantum mechanics, such as the possibility of multiple universes or parallel timelines.

5. How does the use of time travel affect the overall plot and themes of a story?

The use of time travel can greatly impact the plot and themes of a story. It can introduce new conflicts, challenges, and opportunities for characters to grow and change. It can also raise questions about the nature of time, reality, and free will. Ultimately, the way time travel is used in a story can greatly shape its narrative and themes.