Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica

In summary, 22 sci-fi authors have written stories about people who are traveling on a flight from Tokyo to San Francisco that is transported 20 years into the future. Some of the authors are optimistic about the future, while others are not as optimistic. The stories are varied and include different themes such as technology, social changes, and the impact of time travel. The anthology is available online for free.
A flight from Tokyo to San Francisco jumps through time and lands 20 years in the future. That's the short version of a writing prompt taken up by 22 of today's most exciting science fiction writers, each of whom contributed stories about the flight's temporally dislocated passengers to an anthology called Seat 14C. Now you can read the book for free online, and I guarantee you'll be engrossed.

You'll find original stories by Hugh Howey, Nancy Kress, Chen Qiufan, Bruce Sterling, Charles Yu, Charlie Jane Anders, Margaret Atwood, Madeline Ashby, Gregory Benford, Daniel Wilson, Eileen Gunn, and more. Each author interpreted the prompt in his or her own way, resulting in a fascinating selection of very different kinds of stories. Twenty-two incredible artists illustrated the stories, and we have a selection of their work in the gallery above. Some of these tales are about weird new technologies, some are about social changes, and others are about the tragedy of being marooned in an unknown future.

https://arstechnica.com/the-multive...e-travel-stories-from-sci-fis-modern-masters/

Likes Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
I have only started to scan the stories, and I find it quite entertaining to see all the visions of the 2037 future. So far from what I have read, and from the tittles of the stories I have not yet read, I get the impression that all the writers are optimistic. For example, nothing that I have seen so far deals with 20 years of (1) not much happening to slow global warming, (2) reduced political interest in maintaining infrastructure, and (3) increasing movement towards secession dividing large political groups into segments. Also, so far I have seen nothing like the San Fransisco setting of "Blade Runner".

There's a science fiction writing contest going on right now called Seat14C sponsored by the XPrize folks and Japan's ANA Airlines.

It's to be an anthology collection of stories by some famous sci fi authors and with one slot reserved for an aspiring author all starting with the same premise of a flight from Tokyo to SFO that is transported 20 years into the future. They want you to imagine what the future will be like once you get off the plane.

Details of the competition are at the website: www.seat14C.com

Here's an online WIRED article about it as well:

https://www.wired.com/beyond-the-beyond/2017/06/seat-14c-jets-future/

Story submitted... :nb)

Likes jedishrfu
The winner will be announced in two more days. Jedishrfu and I have both submitted stories. It would be pretty awesome if one of us won. :wideeyed:

Likes jedishrfu
This story competition from last year was about a plane that disappeared for 20 years and suddenly re-appeared.
Now NBC has a TV show coming out about a plane that disappears for 5 years.

What an interesting coincidence. :oldeyes:

Related to Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica

1. What is the premise of "Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica"?

The premise of "Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica" is to explore the science and technology behind time travel and to share real-life stories and theories related to the topic.

2. Are the stories featured on "Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica" based on real events?

Yes, the stories featured on "Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica" are based on real events and scientific theories. However, some of the details may be embellished for entertainment purposes.

3. How often are new stories added to "Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica"?

New stories are added to "Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica" on a weekly basis, typically every Friday. However, there may be breaks or delays in publishing due to the availability of new, relevant content.

4. Are there any limitations to time travel according to the stories on "Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica"?

Yes, many of the stories on "Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica" discuss the limitations and challenges of time travel, including the possibility of creating paradoxes and the concept of the "grandfather paradox".

5. Can I submit my own time travel story to be featured on "Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica"?

Unfortunately, "Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica" does not currently accept submissions for new stories. However, you can share your own time travel experiences or theories in the comments section of each article.