The proton elastic form factor (nuclear physics)

Your Name]In summary, the post discusses the elastic form factors of the proton and their relationship to an exponential distribution. The author has attempted to use an integral to solve the problem, but is having trouble with the r integral. It is suggested to consult with others for further guidance and to consider the Fourier transform of the exponential distribution.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

The elastic form factors of the proton are well described by the form

G(q2) = [itex]\frac{G(0)}{(1 + (\frac{q^{2}}{0.71})^{2}}[/itex]

with qw in GeV2. Show that an exponential distribution in the proton given by

ρ(r) = ρoe-λr

Homework Equations

thought it to be the simple integral

The Attempt at a Solution

The integral

G(q2) = ∫∫∫ ρ(r)*e^(-iqrcosθ)*r2sinθ*drdθd∅

phi is 0 to 2pi

theta is 0 to pi

r is 0 to ∞

the problem is the r integral

G(q2) = a∫ r*sin(qr)*e^(-λr)

a are the constants combined into 1 term

I've done a problem similar with the Yukawa potential, but the Yukawa potential eliminated the r next to the sin(qr) which made it solvable.

not sure if i have done something wrong or what.

any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post regarding the elastic form factors of the proton. It seems that you are trying to connect the given form factor equation to the exponential distribution in the proton. I can see that you have attempted to use an integral to solve this problem, but it seems that you are having trouble with the r integral.

Firstly, I would like to point out that the given form factor equation is in terms of q^2, not q. This may be causing some confusion in your integration. Also, the form factor equation is not a standard probability distribution, so it may not be appropriate to use it in the context of an exponential distribution.

If you are trying to show a connection between the two equations, I would suggest looking at the Fourier transform of the exponential distribution, which would give you a form similar to the form factor equation. However, I would also recommend consulting with your professor or classmates for further guidance on this problem.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your studies!

Related to The proton elastic form factor (nuclear physics)

What is the proton elastic form factor?

The proton elastic form factor is a measure of the distribution of charge and magnetization within a proton. It is a key quantity in nuclear physics that helps us understand the structure of the proton.

How is the proton elastic form factor measured?

The proton elastic form factor is typically measured by scattering experiments, where high-energy electrons are directed at a proton target. By observing the scattered electrons, scientists can extract information about the form factor and the distribution of charge and magnetization within the proton.

Why is the proton elastic form factor important?

Studying the proton elastic form factor is important because it provides insight into the internal structure of the proton. This information can help us better understand the behavior of atomic nuclei and the strong nuclear force that holds them together.

What is the difference between the electric and magnetic form factors?

The electric form factor is a measure of the distribution of electric charge within the proton, while the magnetic form factor is a measure of the distribution of magnetization. Both of these quantities contribute to the proton elastic form factor, but they provide different information about the internal structure of the proton.

How has our understanding of the proton elastic form factor evolved over time?

Our understanding of the proton elastic form factor has evolved as technology has advanced and more precise experiments have been conducted. In the early 20th century, the proton was thought to be a point particle with no internal structure, but experiments in the 1950s and 1960s revealed its complex internal structure and led to the development of the concept of form factors.