How Does a Charge Distribution with Zero Total Charge Exist?

In summary, when a point charge is placed in a plasma, the total charge becomes zero because of the screening effect of the plasma ions.
humo90
Need a physical picture!

The electric potential of some charge configuration is given by V(r) = A*e^(-λr) / r

Its Electric field is E = A*[(λr+1)/(r^2)]*e^(-λr) [itex]\hat{r}[/itex]

And its charge density is ρ = 4*pi*A*ε0*δ(r) - [(ε0*(λ^2)*A*e^-λr) / r] , where δ(r) is delta function.

The thing that surprised me is the total charge is zero (Q = 0), how could this happened since I have a charge density? and can someone help me answering the following two questions.

1. What is the physical picture of the charge density (=how does the charge density look
like)?

2. Where could a charge density of this form appear in nature?

Physics news on Phys.org

The electric potential of some charge configuration is given by V(r) = A*e^(-λr) / r

Its Electric field is E = A*[(λr+1)/(r^2)]*e^(-λr) rˆ

And its charge density is ρ = 4*pi*A*ε0*δ(r) - [(ε0*(λ^2)*A*e^-λr) / r] , where δ(r) is delta function.

The thing that surprised me is the total charge is zero (Q = 0), how could this happened since I have a charge density? and can someone help me answering the following two questions.

1. What is the physical picture of the charge density (=how does the charge density look
like)?

2. Where could a charge density of this form appear in nature?

Hi, How have you figured out that the total charge is zero exactly?

For a picture of the charge density its worth simplifying the statement of charge density by putting all the constants together, unless I have made a mistake does this make sense?

[itex]ρ(r)=B*δ(r)-C\frac{e^{-Dr}}{r}[/itex]

It is then a case of taking several significant values of radial points (it should already be clear it is spherically symmetric) and considering the value of the charge density given that B and C are positive. Does this help?

Once you have the shape and given the spherical nature the second question should make more sense.

A charge distribution of this nature appears when you place a point charge in a plasma. The point charge is screened by the ions/electrons of the plasma.

gash789 said:
Hi, How have you figured out that the total charge is zero exactly?

For a picture of the charge density its worth simplifying the statement of charge density by putting all the constants together, unless I have made a mistake does this make sense?

[itex]ρ(r)=B*δ(r)-C\frac{e^{-Dr}}{r}[/itex]

It is then a case of taking several significant values of radial points (it should already be clear it is spherically symmetric) and considering the value of the charge density given that B and C are positive. Does this help?

Once you have the shape and given the spherical nature the second question should make more sense.

To get the total charge, I took the volume integral of the charge density, that is

Q = ∫ρ dv = ∫(4*pi*A*ε0*δ(r) - [(ε0*(λ^2)*A*e^-λr) / r]) dv

= (4*pi*A*ε0) ∫δ(r) dv - (ε0*(λ^2)*A) ∫((e^-λr) / r) dv

= (4*pi*A*ε0) - (ε0*(λ^2)*A) ∫∫∫((e^-λr) / r) (r^2)*sin(∅)*dr*d∅*dθ,

since ∫δ(r) dv = 1

and dv = (r^2)*sin(∅)*dr*d∅*dθ in spherical coordinates.

Also, ∫∫∫((e^-λr) / r) (r^2)*sin(∅)*dr*d∅*dθ = (4*pi*ε0*(λ^2)*A)((1/λ^2)-((r*e^-λr)/λ)-((e^-λr)/(λ^2)),

and for entire space: r goes to ∞, we get ∫∫∫((e^-λr) / r) (r^2)*sin(∅)*dr*d∅*dθ = (4*pi*ε0*A).

Hence, Q = (4*pi*A*ε0) - (4*pi*ε0*A) = 0

I am really still confusing about understanding this problem.

Hi, your working appears correct. I am not 100% but taking Dickfore answer this solution would make sense. The total enclosed charge is zero due to screening by the plasma. Sorry I can't be of any help

humo90 said:

There is a positive point charge in the middle and negative charge distribution around. It is somewhat similar to a spherical capacitor with a very small inner sphere, with positive charge, and a grounded outer sphere where negative charges accumulate. There is an electric field between the spheres, there is a charge distribution, and the total charge of the capacitor is zero.

ehild

Related to How Does a Charge Distribution with Zero Total Charge Exist?

What is a physical picture?

A physical picture is a visual representation or illustration of a concept or phenomenon in science. It can help scientists better understand and communicate complex ideas and theories.

Why is a physical picture important in science?

Physical pictures are important in science because they can provide a clearer understanding of abstract concepts. They can also serve as a tool for experimentation and hypothesis testing.

How are physical pictures created?

Physical pictures can be created using various methods such as drawing, computer-generated graphics, models, and diagrams. The method used depends on the specific concept or phenomenon being represented.

Can physical pictures be misleading?

Yes, physical pictures can be misleading if they are not based on accurate data or if they are oversimplified. It is important for scientists to carefully evaluate and verify the information presented in physical pictures.

What is the role of physical pictures in scientific communication?

Physical pictures play a crucial role in scientific communication as they can help scientists convey complex ideas and findings to a wider audience. They can also aid in the dissemination of scientific knowledge and promote scientific literacy.