Proton Charge Distribution and Form Factor Problem

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating part II of a problem concerning a simplified model of a proton's charge distribution. The question is to find the constant of proportionality needed to normalize the charge density correctly. The attempted solution involves integrating the charge density and setting it equal to 1 between 0 and infinity, resulting in a constant of proportionality of 1/4*pi*R^2. However, the person is struggling with part II, which involves a difficult integral with an exponential and a sin function. They are unsure if their approach is correct and are seeking further information or a possible rewording of the question.
Borntofly123

Homework Statement

Hi all - I have been trying to evaluate part II of this problem for a long time now... For a simplified model of a proton's charge distribution,
hw1eqn2.gif

1. Find the constant of proportionality required to normalise ρ correctly.
  2. Show that
    hw1eqn3.gif

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done part I by method of integrating rho(r)dV between 0 and infinity and setting it equal to 1. dV in this case would just be 4*pi*r^2*dr with no angular dependence.
I have got the constant of proportionality as 1/4*pi*R^2

When I attempt to do part II all I get to is a horrible integral with an exponential and a sin function in... Am I going about this correctly, should i follow through with the cyclic integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Proton Charge Distribution and Form Factor Problem

1. What is the Proton Charge Distribution Problem?

The Proton Charge Distribution Problem is a long-standing question in the field of nuclear physics that focuses on understanding the internal structure of the proton. It refers to the challenge of accurately determining the distribution of electric charge within the proton, which is crucial in understanding its overall structure and properties.

2. What is the Form Factor of a proton?

The Form Factor of a proton is a mathematical function that describes how the proton's charge is distributed in space. It is a crucial parameter in understanding the internal structure of the proton and is often derived from experimental data on the scattering of particles off the proton.

3. How is the Proton Charge Distribution Problem related to the Form Factor?

The Proton Charge Distribution Problem is directly related to the Form Factor of the proton. The accurate determination of the proton's charge distribution is necessary to calculate the Form Factor, which provides valuable insights into the internal structure of the proton.

4. What are the current theories and models for the Proton Charge Distribution and Form Factor Problem?

Several theories and models have been proposed to explain the Proton Charge Distribution and Form Factor Problem, including the Quark Model, the Vector Meson Dominance Model, and the Generalized Parton Distribution Model. Each of these models has its strengths and limitations, and ongoing research and experiments are being conducted to further understand the proton's charge distribution.

5. Why is the Proton Charge Distribution and Form Factor Problem important?

The Proton Charge Distribution and Form Factor Problem are essential in understanding the fundamental properties of matter and the structure of the universe. Accurate determination of the proton's charge distribution and form factor provides valuable insights into nuclear physics, particle physics, and cosmology. It also has practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy and medical imaging.