Switching Major from Physics to Math

In summary: I'm not sure if this is the issue.In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma of being bored with physics classes while excelling in math. They are considering switching from physics to applied mathematics, but are also advised to stick with physics as it becomes more mathematical in higher level courses. The conversation also touches on the idea of pursuing a minor in physics and whether other minors, such as computer science, would complement a math major. The advice given includes trying a proof-based math course and considering a second major to diversify oneself.
celestasia
I'm in the middle of physics 2, and I'm taking calculus 2 at the same time. I thought I'd find physics interesting like used to in high school, but I find myself kinda bored and not really caring anymore. I love doing math, and I am quite good at it. I have gotten 100 percent on my last two calculus 2 exams, so I am probably just going to switch from physics to applied mathematics. My adviser is really wanting me to move ahead with physics 3. She says it's more mathematical, and I might change my mind about physics. She says either way a physics minor looks good with a math degree. Is physics 3 that much more mathematical than physics 2? Either way if I am still this bored with physics during physics 3, I'd really rather not get a physics minor. Are there other minors that look good with a math major?

Physics news on Phys.org
Comp Sci is a popular choice.

I was in a similar position but hang in there and your physics classes will catch up to the math. I'm not sure what physics 3 exactly entails but if its part of the intro physics sequence that engineers take, then it probably won't be much better. After physics 2 we take modern physics.. its MUCH different than the intro sequence. It is more thorough and satisfying. We do a lot more derivations and the pace is greatly decreased. More focus is placed on being able to use mathematical tools from calculus to derive the equations. Also, more time is spent on the building up of physical theories and the experiments used to verify these theories.

It depends on your University. Physics 3 in my university is Modern Physics, which is much more mathematical based than 1 & 2. I'd say stick in there and take physics 3, I'm sure you'll be much more satisfied with it than you were with physics 1 & 2. If you're still not satisfied with physics 3, than change your minor.

Your physics classes will become much more mathematical but never as much so as a pure math degree.

A few things to consider however. Even in applied math the math you will be doing while working towards a math degree is very different than what is being done in calculus (most likely, if your course is proof base this may be off).

Pure math is a lot of fun though. Take a real proof based course and see how you like it.

celestasia said:
I'm in the middle of physics 2, and I'm taking calculus 2 at the same time. I thought I'd find physics interesting like used to in high school, but I find myself kinda bored and not really caring anymore. I love doing math, and I am quite good at it. I have gotten 100 percent on my last two calculus 2 exams, so I am probably just going to switch from physics to applied mathematics.

I'm not sure what an undergrad degree in applied mathematics looks like - presumably you still must take the standard proof based intro real analysis, upper division linear algebra, abstract algebra, etc. I completely agree with Joriss: take a proof based math course and see how you like it, since it will be much more like the upper division math courses than your calculus courses are. In fact, I think it is wise to stay on the right track for both majors, and postpone the decision until as late as is reasonable. You are probably still a Freshman? That is way too early to lock yourself out of either major by failing to take a course. Neither physics nor math upper division courses are very similar to freshman courses.

To get a feel for upper division physics, Prof. Fitzpatrick at UT Austin posts upper division undergrad books he wrote for the courses he teaches:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching.html

to see some the upper division equivalent of calc 2 and 3, see for example teh notes from prof. Kuttler at BYU:
http://www.math.byu.edu/~klkuttle/AdvancedCalculusSV.pdf
http://www.math.byu.edu/~klkuttle/AdvancedCalculusMV.pdf

jason

My advice, pick up Spivak's Calculus at a library, read the first chapter, if you find the information extremely boring and the problems really pointless, then mathematics may not be the best choice. If, on the other hand, you think it's really cool how it all builds and you can't wait to do more, then yeah, math might be your thing,

Nevertheless, I do encourage you to pick up a second major in Physics or Computer Science. Math is a highly competitive field filled with 16 yr old micromass. It's always a smart thing to diversify yourself and make yourself more than a one-trick pony.

jbrussell93 said:
I was in a similar position but hang in there and your physics classes will catch up to the math. I'm not sure what physics 3 exactly entails but if its part of the intro physics sequence that engineers take, then it probably won't be much better. After physics 2 we take modern physics.. its MUCH different than the intro sequence. It is more thorough and satisfying. We do a lot more derivations and the pace is greatly decreased. More focus is placed on being able to use mathematical tools from calculus to derive the equations. Also, more time is spent on the building up of physical theories and the experiments used to verify these theories.

In my university physics 3 is special relativity among other things related to special relativity. My calc teacher makes a lot of time for theory even though it is only calculus 2, and I do enjoy it. She has told me she would like me to be a math major. I am still open to both majors though.

Also, I think my physics professor may be the issue. They way he teaches works with a small percent of the class. Everyone else is confused.

Related to Switching Major from Physics to Math

1. Can I switch my major from Physics to Math?

Yes, it is possible to change your major from Physics to Math. However, it is important to check with your university's policies and procedures for switching majors, as there may be certain requirements or steps you need to follow.

2. Will I have to start over if I switch from Physics to Math?

It depends on the specific courses you have already taken and the requirements for the Math major at your university. In some cases, you may have to retake certain courses or complete additional ones in order to fulfill the requirements for the new major.

3. How different are the course requirements for a Math major compared to a Physics major?

The course requirements for a Math major may vary depending on the university, but in general, there may be some overlap in courses such as Calculus and Linear Algebra. However, Math majors typically have more emphasis on theoretical and abstract concepts, while Physics majors focus more on applied and experimental aspects.

4. Will switching to a Math major affect my career prospects?

Switching majors may not necessarily have a significant impact on your career prospects. Many employers value a strong foundation in both Math and Physics, so having a degree in either field can open up a wide range of job opportunities. It is important to also consider your own interests and strengths when choosing a major.

5. Can I still pursue a career in Physics if I switch to a Math major?

Yes, switching to a Math major does not necessarily mean you cannot pursue a career in Physics. Many Math majors go on to work in fields such as data analysis, finance, and computer science, which also require strong mathematical skills. Additionally, you can always take elective courses in Physics or pursue a graduate degree in Physics if you are interested in that field.