Star Wars Books - A Lot of Beginner Questions

In summary, the previous poster was looking for advice on whether or not to read the Star Wars books in a specific order. They were also wondering if they needed to read any of the books before The New Jedi Order. They ended up reading a book from the Thrawn Trilogy and plans to read the first book from the Lost Tribe of Sith series this weekend.
Cod
I was browsing through BN yesterday and realized there are a ton of Star Wars books on the shelf. Now, as a fan of the movies and a follower of The Clone Wars show, I thought the books may be of interest to me.

My first question is where to start? Do I need to go in a specific order or can I just pick one up and go from there? I thought about getting one from The Old Republic series, but wasn't sure which since there are three in the series (Revan, Deceived, Fatal Alliance). Do I need to read them in any order to understand what's going on? And how do I know what order they're in (by publication date?)? Or can I just pick up Deceived, read it, and then go to Fatal Alliance and still understand what's going on? After reading The Old Republic, do I need to stay in the same era of books before moving on to another? Or can I just bounce around? I also thought about picking up a book from The Clone Wars series, but figured it was best to start in an earlier era.

Sorry for the onslaught of questions, but I've never "jumped" into a series such a vast collection.Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thrawn_Trilogy

was basically the first written and comes soon after return of the jedi.
After that there are a ton that follow in a sort of series-like order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books#The_Truce_at_Bakura
I'd read from:

The Thrawn Trilogy

Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn (9 ABY) (A)
Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn (9 ABY) (A)
The Last Command by Timothy Zahn (9 ABY) (A)

TO

Survivor's Quest

Fool's Bargain by Timothy Zahn (22 ABY) (E)
Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zahn (22 ABY) (A)

pretty much all of them. Then you can skip down to The New Jedi Order and read that series and everything after it. (First book written by R. A. Salvatore (Forgotten Realms))

Theres a LOT to read, but there's usually something important in each series that isn't in other books (Like the Death of BLAH, birth of BLAH, etc).

I haven't read any of the Old Republic stuff or any of the young-anakin stuff.

This Wikipedia page lists all the books in chronological order:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_star_wars_books

I have lots of Star Wars books I no longer want that I'm selling on Ebay, here are my listings http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/olorinoflorien/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3686

I have others that aren't up yet either, all assuming that you're interested and that I'm allowed to mention such things here.

As the previous poster mentioned, The Thrawn trilogy is probably the best place to start.

I read the Thrawn Trilogy when I was a kid and remember enjoying it but don't remember much about it. From what I read not all authors use the material from it in their novels, possibly even only a few of them do and selectively at that.

Thanks for all the advice. I started reading the Lost Tribe of Sith #1 this morning since all the Lost Tribe of Sith books are free for the Kindle. I think I'll probably order the first book from The Thrawn Trilogy this weekend.

Thanks again.

Related to Star Wars Books - A Lot of Beginner Questions

What is the best order to read the "Star Wars" books?

The best order to read the "Star Wars" books is a matter of personal preference. Some fans prefer to read the books in chronological order, starting with "The Phantom Menace" and ending with "The Rise of Skywalker." Others prefer to read them in release order, starting with "A New Hope" and ending with the most recent book. There are also some fans who recommend reading the books in a specific order based on the events and timelines in the books. Ultimately, it is up to the reader to decide which order works best for them.

Are the "Star Wars" books considered canon?

Not all "Star Wars" books are considered canon. After Disney acquired Lucasfilm in 2012, they announced that only the movies, TV shows, and certain books and comics would be considered official canon. These books are labeled as "Star Wars Legends" and are not considered part of the official storyline. However, the new books that have been published since 2014 are considered canon and are closely tied to the events and characters in the movies and TV shows.

How many "Star Wars" books are there?

As of 2021, there are over 300 "Star Wars" books in existence, including novels, short stories, and comic books. This number continues to grow as new books are released each year. It can be overwhelming for a beginner to decide where to start with so many books, but there are many resources available online to help guide readers.

Do I need to watch the movies to understand the books?

It is not necessary to watch the movies in order to understand the books, but it may enhance the reading experience. Many of the books are based on events and characters from the movies, so having prior knowledge of the "Star Wars" universe may help readers better understand the story. However, the books also provide enough background information for readers who may not be familiar with the movies.

Are there any "Star Wars" books specifically for beginners?

There are several "Star Wars" books that are considered good starting points for beginners. These include "Lost Stars" by Claudia Gray, "Thrawn" by Timothy Zahn, and "A New Dawn" by John Jackson Miller. These books are standalone stories that do not require much prior knowledge of the "Star Wars" universe and are a great way to introduce new readers to the world of "Star Wars" books.