Show the loop integral of Poynting vector is zero for plane waves

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to show that for plane waves, the result of \oint \textbf{S}\cdot d \ell = 0 holds. The conversation covers finding an explicit expression for S, using a unit vector to indicate the direction of S, and determining how to work with the differential in the equation. Suggestions are given to use vector identities, choose a nice orientation for the coordinate system, and consider using the dot product or Stokes' theorem to solve the problem. The conversation also mentions the possibility of needing to write out the solution for arbitrary orientation of the axes.
stripes

Homework Statement

Show that for plane waves, the following result holds:

[itex]\oint \textbf{S}\cdot d \ell = 0.[/itex]

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\oint \textbf{S}\cdot d \ell = \frac{1}{\mu_{0}}\oint (\textbf{E} \times \textbf{B})\cdot d \ell[/itex]

Now do I just use some vector identities and try and screw around with it? Or should I take a more intuitive approach? Either way I'm already lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding an explicit expression for S for plane waves.

As such?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 455
stripes said:
As such?

Yes, except you need to include a unit vector indicating the direction of S.

[Edit: Also, S is a function of space and time, not just time.]

Last edited:
Alright, since the Poynting vector is arbitrary, can I use any old unit vector? And then how do I turn the differential into something I can work with?

In class, we did some derivations as such:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 463
stripes said:
Alright, since the Poynting vector is arbitrary, can I use any old unit vector?
Do you know how the direction of S is related to the direction of the wavevector k?

You are dealing with vector equations, and vector equations are valid independent of orientation of the axes. Without loss of generality, you can orient your coordinate system in any way you want. So, think about a nice way to choose your axes.

However, if your instructor wants you to write it all out for arbitrary orientation of the axes, you can still do it.

And then how do I turn the differential into something I can work with?

Once you determine your direction of S, you can think about the dot product of S and dl.

Another approach is to invoke http://www.math.ufl.edu/~vatter/teaching/calcnotes/5-6-stokes.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Show the loop integral of Poynting vector is zero for plane waves

1. What is the loop integral of Poynting vector?

The loop integral of Poynting vector is a mathematical calculation that determines the amount of electromagnetic energy flowing through a closed loop in a given system. It takes into account both the electric and magnetic fields present in the system.

2. How is the loop integral of Poynting vector related to plane waves?

Plane waves are a type of electromagnetic wave that propagate in a single direction with a constant amplitude and phase. The loop integral of Poynting vector is used to calculate the energy flow of these plane waves, and it is shown to be zero for these types of waves.

3. Why is the loop integral of Poynting vector important?

The loop integral of Poynting vector is important because it allows us to calculate the amount of electromagnetic energy present in a given system. This information is crucial in understanding how electromagnetic waves behave and interact with the environment.

4. What does it mean when the loop integral of Poynting vector is zero for plane waves?

When the loop integral of Poynting vector is zero for plane waves, it means that there is no net energy flow through a closed loop in the system. This is because the energy carried by the electric field is equal and opposite to the energy carried by the magnetic field, resulting in a cancellation of energy flow.

5. How is the loop integral of Poynting vector used in practical applications?

The loop integral of Poynting vector is used in various practical applications, such as in calculating the power transmission and reception of radio waves, designing antennas, and analyzing the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different materials and environments. It is also an important concept in the study of electromagnetic radiation and its effects on biological systems.