Retarded potential of a wire loop

I think. By the way, I really appreciate your help.In summary, the problem being discussed is 10.10 in Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics, 3e. The main concern is finding the retarded vector potential \textbf{A}(r',t). The given solution involves taking two integrals, one for adding the x-components of d\textbf{l} and another for the y-component. The dimensional inconsistency in the solution is due to a mistake in the explanation. The correct integral over d\textbf{l} is shown to be 2a\hat{x}, which matches the given solution.
delyle

Homework Statement

This is the problem 10.10 in Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics, 3e

(See attached image)

I am only concerned about finding the retarded vector potential [itex] \textbf{A} [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] \textbf{A}(r',t) = \frac{\mu_{0}}{4\pi} \int \frac{ \textbf{I}(t_{r}) dl}{r'}[/itex]
[itex] t_{r} = t - r'/c [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this far:

[itex] \textbf{A}(r',t) = \frac{\mu_{0}k}{4\pi} \left[ t \int \frac{\textbf{dl}}{r'} + \int \frac{\textbf{dl}}{c} \right][/itex]

Which matches the given solution. My next step would be to take the first integral and divide it into components, that is, take the line integral over the inner semi circle, the outer semi circle, and the two linear components on the x-axis seperately. For the line integral over the inner circle, I would take,

[itex] \int_{inner} \frac{\textbf{dl}}{r'} = -\hat{\theta} \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{a d\theta}{a}[/itex]

which should be equal to [itex] -\pi \hat{\theta} [/itex] (r' is a in this case because we want to find the potential at the centre). However, the solution says that

[itex] \int_{inner} \frac{\textbf{dl}}{r'} = 2a\hat{x} [/itex]

The solution given for the outer integral is similar.

Either a) I've forgotten how to do line integrals (a distinct possibility), b) There is some physical reason for the solution given or c) the solution is incorrect.

I'd be very much obliged if someone could let me know what is going on for the solution given, and why my approach is incorrect.

Attachments

• 1215121920-00.jpg
    1215121920-00.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 641
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello delyle. Welcome to PF!

In the integrals, dl is a vector. So the integration corresponds to vector addition. You should consider 2 integrals, one for adding the x-components of dl to find the x-component of A and another integral for the y-component.Note that [itex] \int_{inner} \frac{\textbf{dl}}{r'} = 2a\hat{x} [/itex] is dimensionally inconsistent. The left side is dimensionless while the right side has dimension of length.

Hello TSny,

Thank you for your reply. I think I understand now. As far as the dimensional inconsistency, I had made a mistake in my explanation; the solution said that [itex] \int_{inner} d\textbf{l} =2a\hat{x} [/itex], which makes more sense, dimensionally.

So, let's see if I follow you. Explicitly, [itex] -d\textbf{l} = a\sin(\theta)d\theta\hat{x} - a\cos(\theta)d\theta\hat{y} [/itex], and so the integral [itex] \int_{inner} d\textbf{l} [/itex] can be rewritten as [itex] a\int_{0}^{\pi} \left[\sin(\theta)\hat{x} - \cos(\theta)\hat{y} \right]d\theta [/itex]. The integral over cos is 0, so we're left with [itex] \int_{inner} d\textbf{l} = 2a\hat{x} [/itex], which is consistent with the solution. Thanks a ton!

That's essentially it. I'm not sure I see your choice of signs, but that might have to do with how you're defining the positive direction of θ. dl points in the same direction as the current. So along the arc of radius a, dl should have a positive x-component, but you wrote -dl as having a positive x-component (I think). Anyway, your result looks good. :smile:

Yes, you're right. That minus sign in front of [itex] d\textbf{l} [/itex] should be removed

Related to Retarded potential of a wire loop

What is the definition of retarded potential of a wire loop?

The retarded potential of a wire loop refers to the electric potential created by a wire loop at a point in space, taking into account the time it takes for the electric field to propagate from the wire loop to that point. It is also known as the "delayed potential" or "time-dependent potential".

How is the retarded potential of a wire loop calculated?

The retarded potential of a wire loop is calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point in space due to a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire. The electric potential is then calculated using the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.

What is the significance of the retarded potential of a wire loop?

The retarded potential of a wire loop has several important applications in electromagnetism. It is used in the calculation of the magnetic field of a wire loop, as well as in the study of electromagnetic radiation and the effects of time delay in electric circuits and systems.

How does the shape and size of the wire loop affect its retarded potential?

The shape and size of the wire loop can have a significant impact on its retarded potential. A larger loop will have a stronger potential, while a smaller loop will have a weaker potential. The shape of the loop also affects the direction and magnitude of the potential, as well as the distribution of the magnetic field around the loop.

What are some real-world applications of the retarded potential of a wire loop?

The retarded potential of a wire loop is used in a variety of real-world applications, including the design of electromagnets, antennas, and electric motors. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic interference and the development of technologies such as wireless charging and wireless power transfer.