Solving an Electromagnetic Wave Problem

In summary, for an electromagnetic wave with an electric field given by \mathbf{B}=\mathbf{i} E_o cos (kz-\omega t)+ \mathbf{j} E_o sin (\omega t - kz) where Eo is a constant, the direction of propagation is along the z-axis. The electric and magnetic fields are along the x-y plane. To determine the direction of the EM wave propagation, the equation \mathbf{\hat{k}}=\pm\mathbf{\hat{z}} can be used, and then the magnetic field can be calculated using equation (4). The Poynting vector can be calculated using equation (1), and the energy density can be calculated using equation (2).
schrodingerscat11

Homework Statement

For an electromagnetic wave with an electric field given by
[itex]\mathbf{B}=\mathbf{i} E_o cos (kz-\omega t)+ \mathbf{j} E_o sin (\omega t - kz) [/itex]
where Eo is a constant
Find
(a) its direction of propagation
(b) the magnetic field
(c) Poynting vector
(d) energy density, i.e., the amount of energy that is transmitted by the wave per unit area per unit time.

Homework Equations

(1) [itex]\mathbf{S}=\frac{1}{\mu_o}(\mathbf{E} \times \mathbf{B})[/itex] (Poynting vector)
(2) [itex] u =\frac{1}{2}\big(\epsilon_o E^2 + \frac{1}{\mu_o}B^2 \big) [/itex] (energy density)
(3) [itex]\nabla\times\mathbf{E} = - \frac {\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} [/itex] (magnetic field)
(4) [itex]\mathbf{{\tilde{B}}}(\mathbf{r},t)=\frac{1}{c}\mathbf{\hat{k}}\times\mathbf{\tilde{E}}[/itex] (magnetic field)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Because we have the [itex]kz-\omega [/itex] and [itex]\omega t - kz[/itex] terms, the direction of propagation is along the z-axis. The electric and magnetic fields are along the x-y plane. How to I know if the direction of EM wave propagation is + or - z-axis?

(b) Once I get the EM wave propagation direction, then I just use equation Eq. 4. Is that right?

(c) I just use Eq. 1, right?

(d) This is just Eq. 2, right?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait. I think I have an answer for (a).
Hm, since
[itex]\mathbf{E}=\mathbf{i}E_o cos(kz-\omega t) + \mathbf{j}E_o sin(\omega t-kz)[/itex]
we can have
[itex]\mathbf{E}=\mathbf{i}E_o cos(kz-\omega t) + \mathbf{j}E_o sin(-(kz-\omega t))[/itex]
[itex]\mathbf{E}=\mathbf{i}E_o cos(kz-\omega t) - \mathbf{j}E_o sin(kz-\omega t)[/itex]

After this, can I just assign an arbitrary +z propagation direction so that
[itex]\mathbf{\hat{k}}=+\mathbf{\hat{z}}[/itex]

Then I can easily compute for the magnetic field [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] Is this correct? Thanks.

Related to Solving an Electromagnetic Wave Problem

1. How do I calculate the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave?

The wavelength of an electromagnetic wave can be calculated using the formula: wavelength (λ) = speed of light (c) / frequency (f). The speed of light is a constant value of 3x10^8 meters per second. The frequency can be found by dividing the wave's speed (in meters per second) by its wavelength (in meters).

2. What is the relationship between frequency and energy of an electromagnetic wave?

The frequency of an electromagnetic wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy of the wave also increases. This relationship is described by the equation: E = h*f, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.

3. How can I determine the direction of an electromagnetic wave's propagation?

An electromagnetic wave propagates in a direction that is perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic fields. The direction of the electric field can be determined by the direction of the wave's vibrations, while the direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to both the electric field and the direction of propagation.

4. What is the difference between an electromagnetic wave in a vacuum and in a medium?

In a vacuum, electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light and do not require a medium to propagate. However, in a medium such as air or water, the speed of light is slower and the wave's frequency and wavelength are affected. Additionally, the wave may also experience reflection, refraction, and absorption in a medium.

5. How is the propagation of an electromagnetic wave affected by obstacles or barriers?

An electromagnetic wave can experience reflection, diffraction, and absorption when encountering obstacles or barriers. The amount of reflection and diffraction depends on the size and shape of the obstacle, while absorption is dependent on the material properties of the obstacle. These factors can affect the direction, intensity, and polarization of the wave as it propagates.