Can Sci-Fi Writers Use Real Science to Enhance Their Stories?

In summary, a sci-fi writer is considering using references from scientific papers to help with their plot. They note that articles can be easily found without a paywall using some tricks or a journal downloader. They discuss the effects of an asteroid strike on a planet and calculate the height of a tsunami that would flood parts of a coastal city.
happyhacker
I am writing a (hard!) Sci-Fi novel and am considering capturing some of my research in references. I would welcome any suggestions as to online resources that pull together across all science (+ physics) disciplines the sort of subject materials I would likely need. Idea is to focus somehow when I have a particular idea to follow. As an example vox.com may be a suitable news source.

Likes AlexB23
Physics news on Phys.org
happyhacker said:
I am writing a (hard!) Sci-Fi novel and am considering capturing some of my research in references. I would welcome any suggestions as to online resources that pull together across all science (+ physics) disciplines the sort of subject materials I would likely need. Idea is to focus somehow when I have a particular idea to follow. As an example vox.com may be a suitable news source.
I have time on my hands today and I read your post earlier. I am still not sure what it is you want, no reply as yet so I will dip in and guess.
Do you want Science references to put at the end of your book? Like a paper?
Pf is a good start!
Nature and Lancet are readable for biology and medicine.
WHO, CDC also for those areas, you can search for your topics.
UKHSA if you are here(UK) The technical briefings on Covid were very good. If you are not used to graphical representations then skip by them and read the tables and summary.
For physics? I am not a researcher or scientist so I would need a @vanhees71 type guy on that or @PeroK . Ok check LHC and NASA for updates on projects. Example here https://home.cern/

Thanks so much for that pinball and your time. I will look into your refs. So WHO is World Health Org., CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention? I am in the UK. Yes, I think what I am looking for is an 'accredited' (not sure if that's the right term) scientific news aggregator. I am an engineer not a scientist.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
happyhacker said:
I am writing a sci-fi plot also, set in 1909 on an alien planet called the Xanadu Wastelands with a 1930s equivalent level of technology. An asteroid struck the planet on 1/16/1909, 148 km from New Spork City. I plan on using sources from science research papers. You can find articles without a paywall quite easily using some tricks or a journal downloader (not gonna say the name of the website). Given my asteroid diameter of 164.4 m, and a collision speed of 17 km/s, I calculated the tsunami height to be 5-8 meters using a few articles. That would probably flood parts of the coastal city of New Spork.

So yeah, feel free to use Research Gate or any other scientific journal or newspaper you see fit. :)