Recommendations for a good, basic level Physics book?

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a book that explains physics at an absolute beginner level in simple terms, with some math included. They prefer a fun and recreational read rather than a textbook. Some book recommendations are given, including "MC2: Simple Physics for Balloons and Balls" and "Understanding Physics" by Isaac Asimov. Another book, "The Big Book of Physics and Math," is also suggested.
NextElement
I'm looking for a book to explain Physics at an absolute beginner level.

This is not something I'm trying to study or memorize, so I'd rather it not be a textbook, but rather a book that tells of different parts of physics (gravity, electricity, mechanics) in simple terms that the "average" person can understand. I don't mind a little math, either. I'm basically just looking for a fun, recreational physics read.

Any book recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
NextElement said:
I'm basically just looking for a fun, recreational physics read.
I like to these writers

Wow.. don't even think to start with "road to reality" by penrose although it is a very good book it gets VERY hard too soon.

Understanding Physics, by Isaac Asimov, would probably be good for you.

I picked up "The Big Book of Physics and Math" and I'm loving it so far!

Related to Recommendations for a good, basic level Physics book?

1. What are the key topics that should be covered in a good, basic level Physics book?

A good, basic level Physics book should cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. These are fundamental concepts that are essential for understanding the principles of physics.

2. Are there any recommended authors or publishers for Physics books?

Some well-known authors and publishers for Physics books include Paul G. Hewitt, Serway and Jewett, Giancoli, and OpenStax. It is important to research the author's credentials and the publisher's reputation before choosing a book.

3. Is it necessary for the book to have a lot of mathematical equations and formulas?

Yes, a good, basic level Physics book should have a decent amount of mathematical equations and formulas. This is because physics is a mathematical science, and these equations and formulas are crucial for understanding the concepts and solving problems.

4. Should the book include real-life examples and applications of Physics?

Yes, it is beneficial for a good, basic level Physics book to include real-life examples and applications. This helps to make the concepts more relatable and practical, and it also shows the relevance of Physics in our daily lives.

5. Is it necessary for the book to have practice problems and exercises?

Yes, practice problems and exercises are essential for a good, basic level Physics book. They allow readers to test their understanding and apply the concepts they have learned. They also help to reinforce the material and improve problem-solving skills.