Reading Bishop & Goldberg's Tensor Analysis: Prerequisites for Physicists

In summary: FQ4NvfHxvkIn summary, a graduate student in physics finds that his mathematical background is lacking for the work he does and decides to learn more rigorously. He is frustrated because he does not feel like he really understands what is going on and wants to overcome this problem. He finds a resource that helps him and starts to learn more about mathematics. He faces the same problems in math as in physics, which is that sometimes he can do everything rigorously and solve all the textbook problems, but he still does not feel like he understands it.
mjordan2nd
I am a graduate student in physics. One of my biggest frustrations in my education is that I often find that my mathematical background is lacking for the work I do. Sure I can make calculations adequately, well enough to even do well in my courses, but I don't feel like I really understand what's going on. To combat this problem I have decided to learn mathematics a bit more rigorously.

At this point I would like to learn a bit of differential geometry, some abstract algebra, and some functional analysis. The problem is, I don't really know where to begin. As an undergraduate I took linear algebra, ODEs, PDEs, and vector analysis. Those were more or less the only courses I took beyond Calculus I-III. As a graduate student I have taken your typical math methods course out of Arfken and Weber. These courses have not prepared me to read a book written for mathematicians.

I recently picked up Bishop and Goldberg's Tensor Analysis on Manifolds, however the book looks quite daunting to me. It is in a language I am not entirely familiar with. My question is what are the mathematical prerequisites to begin reading a book such as that. What should I read before I ever pick up these math books? Is there a quick intro into the language of mathematicians for physicists?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd start with real analysis and maybe differential geometry of curves and surfaces. I don't know that there's a quick into.

Another thing you can do is try to find someone like me who knows a bit about both worlds and can translate between them to some degree.

I'm not sure what it is you're doing, but you might question whether more math is really the answer to finding the understanding you seek. There are definitely places where it will help, but it might not solve all your problems. Sometimes, I was able to do everything rigorously and solve all the textbook problems, but I still didn't feel like I really understood it. So, in math, you'll probably be confronted by some of the same problems as in physics.

I googled Bishop and Goldberg and came across this post and thought, wow, this guy has the exact same issues I did. It's remarkable, he's expressing this in almost the same way I would. I then looked at who wrote this post and realized it was me.

Anyway, if anyone else does have the same issue, I can't recommend this lecture series highly enough:

Related to Reading Bishop & Goldberg's Tensor Analysis: Prerequisites for Physicists

1. What is the purpose of reading Bishop & Goldberg's Tensor Analysis?

The purpose of reading Bishop & Goldberg's Tensor Analysis is to gain a strong understanding of the mathematical concepts and techniques necessary for understanding and solving problems in physics that involve tensors. This book provides a rigorous and thorough treatment of tensor analysis, making it an essential resource for physicists.

2. What are the prerequisites for reading this book?

The prerequisites for reading Bishop & Goldberg's Tensor Analysis include a strong background in calculus, linear algebra, and vector calculus. Familiarity with basic concepts of physics, such as mechanics and electromagnetism, is also recommended.

3. Are there any recommended resources to supplement the reading of this book?

Yes, Bishop & Goldberg's Tensor Analysis provides a list of recommended resources in the preface, including books on advanced calculus, linear algebra, and differential geometry. Additionally, the authors provide a list of exercises at the end of each chapter to further practice the concepts learned.

4. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better to use it in a classroom setting?

While this book can be used for self-study, it is recommended to use it in a classroom setting with guidance from a professor or tutor. This will ensure a deeper understanding of the material and the ability to ask questions and receive feedback.

5. How does this book differ from other texts on tensor analysis?

Bishop & Goldberg's Tensor Analysis is known for its rigorous and thorough treatment of the subject. It also includes many worked examples and exercises to help the reader fully grasp the concepts. Additionally, the book focuses on the application of tensor analysis in physics, making it particularly useful for physicists.