Looking for a good introductory Tensor Analysis Textbook

In summary, a physicist would recommend reading the referenced works from the document, then moving on to other sources if desired.
astroboulders
Hello all,

I've taken math through differential equations and linear algebra, am in my senior year of physics curricula while conducting McNair research regarding General Relativity. I found a NASA document outlining Einstein's field equations, which suggests only preparative familiarity with tensor analysis (here's the NASA pdf). I'm wondering what textbooks would be recommended to begin undertaking tensor analysis study, given my mathematics skills haven't developed beyond differential equations and linear algebra.

Any help would be graciously received!

Physics news on Phys.org
For starting with GR I'd recommend the excellent volume 2 of Landau and Lifhitz. There you also get the minimum of tensor analysis needed (Ricci calculus and holonomous bases only).

Likes topsquark
Tensor analysis for what? Many GR books like Carroll or Zee treat tensors in detail.

Likes jbergman and vanhees71
A first glance at this source shows that it's not very accurate in its notation and in the concept. First of all, if you deal with general tensors on a vector space, i.e., objects that are invariant under the entire GL(n), you have to distinguish clearly between vectors and co-vectors, and this should be reflected in the usual notation with upper and lower indices to distinguish co- and contravariant bases and the corresponding components of tensors.

Second a linear form is not a scalar product. A linear form is a linear mapping from the vector space to the scalar field, while a scalar product is a postive definite bilinear form.

Likes weirdoguy
vanhees71 said:
A first glance at this source shows that it's not very accurate in its notation and in the concept. First of all, if you deal with general tensors on a vector space, i.e., objects that are invariant under the entire GL(n), you have to distinguish clearly between vectors and co-vectors, and this should be reflected in the usual notation with upper and lower indices to distinguish co- and contravariant bases and the corresponding components of tensors.

Second a linear form is not a scalar product. A linear form is a linear mapping from the vector space to the scalar field, while a scalar product is a postive definite bilinear form.
Maybe so, but it exhibits a reasonable portion of rigour for the level of the OP, don’t you think? We are talking physics, rigour isn’t always on our side.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
No, for a physicists the clear distinction between co- and contravariant components is essential. As I said, then it's better to read the corresponding chapters in Landau and Lifshitz vol. 2. Also most other introductory textbooks on GR have better introductions to tensor calculus.

You surely didn’t just take a cursory look and decided that no distinctions were made of contravariant and covariant stuff? Oh, never mind, hope the OP got some legible answers out of this thread.

Presumably, you've seen the referenced works on the last page of the document.
It might be good to start there (as well as any suggested introductory references that they make).

Be aware of conventions in signature and signs (e.g. ones regarding nabla vs semicolon), which vary among books...
and could pose unnecessary obstacles for a beginner.
So, I'd suggest that a beginner start with the references they give, then move on to other sources if desired.

From Misner-Thorne-Wheeler Gravitation (1973)...

1691339042102.png

Of course, one would have to extend this to include later references.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is Tensor Analysis?

Tensor analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe the relationships between vectors and scalars. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe physical quantities and their transformations in multiple dimensions.

2. Why is Tensor Analysis important?

Tensor analysis is important because it provides a powerful mathematical framework for understanding and solving problems in physics and engineering. It allows for the manipulation of complex multidimensional data and the analysis of physical systems that cannot be easily described using traditional mathematical methods.

3. What are some applications of Tensor Analysis?

Tensor analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and data analysis. Some examples include general relativity, fluid mechanics, image processing, and machine learning.

4. What should I look for in a good introductory Tensor Analysis textbook?

A good introductory Tensor Analysis textbook should have a clear and concise explanation of the fundamental concepts, plenty of examples and exercises for practice, and a focus on real-world applications. It should also have a good balance between theory and practical applications, and be suitable for readers with varying levels of mathematical background.

5. Can you recommend a good introductory Tensor Analysis textbook?

Some popular and highly recommended textbooks for introductory Tensor Analysis include "Introduction to Tensor Analysis and the Calculus of Moving Surfaces" by Pavel Grinfeld, "Tensor Analysis: Theory and Applications" by I. S. Sokolnikoff and R. M. Redheffer, and "A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors" by Daniel Fleisch. Ultimately, the best textbook for you will depend on your specific needs and goals, so it is important to research and compare different options before making a decision.