Problem with the Laguerre polynomials

In summary, the task is to explicitly write down the first three Laguerre polynomials by using a power series ansatz. The ansatz should be the Rodrigues representation and the coefficients of the z^n should be absorbed into the L_n.
Logarythmic
My task is to explicitly write down the first three Laguerre polynomials by using a power series ansatz.
What should this ansatz look like? Should it be the Rodrigues representation

[tex]L_n (x) = \frac{e^x}{n!} \frac{d^n}{dx^n} x^n e^{-x}[/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds to me like they either want you to solve the DE using the method of series solutions (see, e.g., Chapter 12 of Boas' Mathematical Methods for Physicists) or that they want you to generate the polynomials from a power series of the generating function (see (19) & (20) here).

I guess it should be the method with the generating function

[tex]g(x,z) = \frac{e^{- \frac{xz}{1-z}}}{1-z} = \sum_{n \geq 0} a_n L_n (x) z^n[/tex]

but how do I get rid of the z?

Taylor expand the generating function in powers of [itex]z[/itex] and the coefficients of the [itex]z^n[/itex] are the Laguerre polynomials. The additional factor of [itex]a_n[/itex] is present because Wolfram is using a definition of the Laguerre polynomials that does not include the [itex]1/n![/itex] term in your definition, so you should absorb that [itex]a_n[/itex] term into the [itex]L_n[/itex] for your purposes.

Yes, I got the correct answer. The second part of the exercise tells me to use the normalization

[tex]<y_n|y_m>_{e^{-x}} = \int_0^\infty e^{-x}y_n(x)y_m(x)dx = \delta_{nm}[/tex]

to determine the overall constant.

What constant?

The [itex]\delta_{nm}[/itex] is 1 if n=m and 0 otherwise. So if you perform that integral with n=m the result you get should be equal to one. Using this condition will allow you to determine the normalization constant for the polynomials (i.e. what you have to multiply [itex]L_n[/itex] by in order to satisfy the equation).

This Kronecker delta property is extremely important when using the Laguerre polynomials as an eigenbasis for quantum mechanical states. It allows us to think of the set of Laguerre polynomials as an orthonomal vector space which we can then use as an eigenbasis to represent wavefunctions. The integral you're computing is the dot product between the basis vectors in the Laguerre polynomial space.

Last edited:
Yes I'm aware of all this, but if I solve the integral I get:

For n = m = 0 and n = m = 1, I = 1.
For n = m = 2, I = 2.

Where is the overall constant in this case?

You should do the integral for arbitrary n and see what you get. Alternatively you can try doing it for a few more specific values of n and see if you notice a pattern.

Thanks for your help!

Related to Problem with the Laguerre polynomials

1. What are Laguerre polynomials?

Laguerre polynomials are a type of special functions that are commonly used in mathematics and physics. They are named after the French mathematician Edmond Laguerre and are denoted by Ln(x), where n is the degree of the polynomial.

2. What is the problem with Laguerre polynomials?

The main problem with Laguerre polynomials is that they are not orthogonal in the traditional sense, meaning that their inner product does not equal zero for all different polynomials. This can make certain calculations and applications more challenging.

3. How are Laguerre polynomials used?

Laguerre polynomials have many applications in mathematics and physics, such as in solving differential equations, probability theory, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in numerical analysis and approximation methods.

4. Can Laguerre polynomials be generalized?

Yes, Laguerre polynomials can be generalized to include complex numbers and for use in higher dimensions. These generalized polynomials are known as generalized Laguerre polynomials and have a wider range of applications.

5. Are there any alternative polynomials that can be used instead of Laguerre polynomials?

Yes, there are alternative families of polynomials that can be used instead of Laguerre polynomials, such as Hermite polynomials or Chebyshev polynomials. These polynomials may have different properties and may be more suitable for certain applications.