Associated vs. Non-associated Laguerre Polynomials

In summary, the value of x does change from just Laguerre polynomial to associated one, as demonstrated by the equations L1n(x) = d/dx Ln(x) and L11(x) = 1 and L12(x) = 2x - 4. In the hydrogenic wave functions, the associated Laguerre polynomial is expressed as L(n+l)^(2l+1)(ρ) where ρ is a function of the principal quantum number and the angular momentum quantum number, showing that n does play a role in the polynomial. The relationship between n and l in the associated Laguerre polynomial is more complex than a simple assumption based on the number of nodes.
terp.asessed

Homework Statement

Could someone pls clarify if the value of x changes from just Laguerre polynomial to associated one? I am confused about the role of variable x.

Homework Equations

From what I have learned in the class, I understand that L1n(x) = d/dx Ln(x), n = 1, 2, 3...

The Attempt at a Solution

Because L1(x) = 1 - x and L2(x) = 2 - 4x + x2
I did:
L11(x) = d/dx L1(x) = d/dx (1 - x) = -1
L12(x) = d/dx L2(x) = d/dx (2-4x+x2) = 2x - 4 = 2(x - 2)...I wonder if x is a different function of radius in L11(x) (as in 1s orbital) and L12(x) (as in 2s orbital)? I am assuming the orbital polynomial on the basis of node...as in:
L11(x)= 1 because of 0 nodes...hence 1s
L12(x) = 2x -4 because of 1 node...hence 2s

Physics news on Phys.org
terp.asessed said:
I wonder if x is a different function of radius in L11(x) (as in 1s orbital) and L12(x) (as in 2s orbital)?
Yes. The associated Laguerre polynomial found in hydrogenic wave functions is expressed as
$$
L_{n+l}^{2l+1}(\rho)
$$
with
$$
\rho \equiv \frac{2 Z}{n a} r
$$
where ##n## the principal quantum number and ##l## the angular momentum quantum number. You see that ##n## enters as a scaling factor in the argument of the associated Laguerre polynomial. Note also that the association between ##n## and ##l## and the associated Laguerre polynomial is a bit more complicated than your simple assumption based on the number of nodes, as angular nodes have to be considered also.

Related to Associated vs. Non-associated Laguerre Polynomials

1. What is the difference between associated and non-associated Laguerre polynomials?

Associated Laguerre polynomials are a set of polynomials that are orthogonal on a specific interval and are typically used to solve differential equations. Non-associated Laguerre polynomials are a set of polynomials that are orthogonal on an infinite interval and are used for other mathematical purposes.

2. How are associated and non-associated Laguerre polynomials calculated?

Both types of Laguerre polynomials can be calculated using a recurrence relation or through the use of generating functions. The specific formulas for each type may vary slightly, but the general process is the same.

3. What are the main applications of associated and non-associated Laguerre polynomials?

Associated Laguerre polynomials are commonly used in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics to solve differential equations. Non-associated Laguerre polynomials have applications in probability theory, statistics, and other fields of mathematics.

4. Are there any special properties of associated and non-associated Laguerre polynomials?

Both types of Laguerre polynomials have several special properties, including orthogonality, recurrence relations, and generating functions. They also have specific formulas for calculating their roots and coefficients.

5. Can associated and non-associated Laguerre polynomials be used interchangeably?

No, they cannot be used interchangeably. Associated Laguerre polynomials have a specific interval on which they are orthogonal, while non-associated Laguerre polynomials are orthogonal on an infinite interval. Additionally, their formulas and properties are different, so they cannot be substituted for each other in calculations.