How can the polynomial $L_n(x)$ be used to solve the equation Laguerre?

In summary, there is no easy way to show that the Rodrigues polynomial $L_n(x)$ satisfies the Laguerre equation with $a=n$. However, in the paper "Rodrigues-type formulae for Hermite and Laguerre polynomials" by V. Radulescu, a clever proof using operators is presented. The key idea is to use the product rule $DM = MD + I$ to simplify the calculations. The paper also provides a general result for showing that $L_n(x) = e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (x^n \cdot e^{-x})$ satisfies the Laguerre equation.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

The differential equation $xy''+(1-x)y'+ay=0, a \in \mathbb{R}$, that is called equation Laguerre, is given.

Let $L_n$ be the polynomial $L_n(x)=e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (x^n \cdot e^{-x})$ (show that it is a polynomial), $n=1,2,3, \dots$. Show that $L_n$ satisfies the equation Laguerre if $a=n(n=1,2, \dots)$.

So we have to substitute $L_n$ in the differential equation and see that it is only satisfied for $a=n$, right? )Do we differentiate the Leguerre polynomial as follows?
$$$$
$$\frac{d}{dx} L_n(x)=e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (x^n e^{-x})+\frac{d^{n+1}}{dx^{n+1}}(x^n e^{-x})$$

$$\frac{d^2}{dx^2} L_n(x)=e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (x^n e^{-x})+ e^{x} \frac{d^{n+1}}{dx^{n+1}}(x^n e^{-x})+\frac{d^{n+2}}{dx^{n+2}}(x^n e^{-x})$$Or have I done something wrong? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey! (Smile)

I believe you have dropped an $e^x$. (Worried)

I like Serena said:
Hey! (Smile)

I believe you have dropped an $e^x$. (Worried)

At which point? (Thinking)

evinda said:
At which point? (Thinking)

$\d {}x (e^x f(x))= e^xf(x) + e^xf'(x)$ (Sweating)

Oh yes, right... So it is as follows, right? (Thinking)
$$\frac{d}{dx} L_n(x)=e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (x^n e^{-x})+e^x \frac{d^{n+1}}{dx^{n+1}}(x^n e^{-x})$$

$$\frac{d^2}{dx^2} L_n(x)=e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (x^n e^{-x})+ e^{x} \frac{d^{n+1}}{dx^{n+1}}(x^n e^{-x})+e^x \frac{d^{n+1}}{dx^{n+1}}(x^n e^{-x})+e^x \frac{d^{n+2}}{dx^{n+2}}(x^n e^{-x})=e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (x^n e^{-x})+ 2e^{x} \frac{d^{n+1}}{dx^{n+1}}(x^n e^{-x})+e^x \frac{d^{n+2}}{dx^{n+2}}(x^n e^{-x})$$

Substituting $L_n$ at the equation I got the following:

$xy''+(1-x)y'+ay=0 \\ \Rightarrow x e^x \frac{d^{n+1}}{dx^{n+1}}(x^n e^{-x})+x e^x \frac{d^{n+2}}{dx^{n+2}}(x^n e^{-x})+(a+1) e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n}(x^n e^{-x})=0 $

Is it right or have I done something wrong? (Worried)

If it is right, how could we show that $L_n$ satisfies the equation Laguerre if $a=n(n=1,2, \dots)$? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Substituting $L_n$ at the equation I got the following:
$xy''+(1-x)y'+ay=0 \\ \Rightarrow x e^x \frac{d^{n+1}}{dx^{n+1}}(x^n e^{-x})+x e^x \frac{d^{n+2}}{dx^{n+2}}(x^n e^{-x})+(a+1) e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n}(x^n e^{-x})=0 $

Is it right or have I done something wrong? (Worried)

I think you've dropped an $e^x$ in the term with the (n+1)th derivative. (Thinking)
If it is right, how could we show that $L_n$ satisfies the equation Laguerre if $a=n(n=1,2, \dots)$? (Thinking)

How about making the derivatives the same?
That is, differentiate once respectively twice where applicable? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
I think you've dropped an $e^x$ in the term with the (n+1)th derivative. (Thinking)

It should be as follows, right? (Thinking)

$$xe^x \frac{d^{n+1}}{dx^{n+1}}(x^n e^{-x})+e^x \frac{d^{n+1}}{dx^{n+1}}(x^n e^{-x})+(a+1)e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n}(x^n e^{-x})+x e^x \frac{d^{n+2}}{dx^{n+2}}(x^n e^{-x})=0$$

I like Serena said:
How about making the derivatives the same?
That is, differentiate once respectively twice where applicable? (Wondering)

I haven't understood it... Could you explain it further to me? (Thinking)

evinda said:
It should be as follows, right? (Thinking)

$$xe^x \frac{d^{n+1}}{dx^{n+1}}(x^n e^{-x})+e^x \frac{d^{n+1}}{dx^{n+1}}(x^n e^{-x})+(a+1)e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n}(x^n e^{-x})+x e^x \frac{d^{n+2}}{dx^{n+2}}(x^n e^{-x})=0$$

Yep. (Nod)
I haven't understood it... Could you explain it further to me? (Thinking)

\(\displaystyle \d {} x \left(\frac {d^n} {dx^n} f(x)\right) = \frac {d^{n+1}} {dx^{n+1}} f(x) = \frac {d^n}{dx^n}\left( \d {} x f(x)\right) = \frac {d^n}{dx^n}f'(x)\)
(Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
\(\displaystyle \d {} x \left(\frac {d^n} {dx^n} f(x)\right) = \frac {d^{n+1}} {dx^{n+1}} f(x) = \frac {d^n}{dx^n}\left( \d {} x f(x)\right) = \frac {d^n}{dx^n}f'(x)\)
(Wasntme)
You mean that we have to write it like that? (Thinking)

$$x e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} \left( nx^ne^{-x}-x^ne^{-x} \right)+e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} \left( n x^{n-1}e^{-x}-x^n e^{-x} \right)+(a+1) e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n}(x^n e^{-x})+x e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} \left( n(n-1) x^{n-2} e^{-x}-n x^{n-1} e^{-x}- n x^{n-1} e^{-x}+x^n e^{-x}\right)=0$$

evinda said:
The differential equation $xy''+(1-x)y'+ay=0, a \in \mathbb{R}$, that is called equation Laguerre, is given.

Let $L_n$ be the polynomial $L_n(x)=e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (x^n \cdot e^{-x})$ (show that it is a polynomial), $n=1,2,3, \dots$. Show that $L_n$ satisfies the equation Laguerre if $a=n(n=1,2, \dots)$.
There does not seem to be any easy way to show that the Rodrigues polynomial $L_n(x)$ satisfies the Laguerre equation with $a=n$. I came across the paper Rodrigues-type formulae for Hermite and Laguerre polynomials by V. Radulescu, which has an ingenious proof of this result. For me, this is a particularly attractive method because it uses the machinery of operators to simplify the algebraic calculations. (Operators, algebra, Opalg, get the connection?)

For a differentiable function $y$, let $D$ denote the operation of differentiation, let $M$ denote the operation of multiplication by $x$, and let $I$ denote the identity operator. So $D(y) = \frac{dy}{dx}$, $M(y) = xy$ and $I(y) = y.$ Using this notation, the product rule for differentiation, $\frac d{dx}(xy) = x\frac{dy}{dx} + y$, becomes $DM(y) = MD(y) + I(y)$, which we can write as $DM = MD + I$.

Laguerre's equation $xy''+(1-x)y'+ny=0$ becomes $MD^2(y) + (I-M)Dy + nI(y) = 0$, or more simply $MD^2 + (I-M)D + nI = 0$. Using the relation $DM = MD + I$, you can re-write that as $(D-I)MD = -nI.$

We want to show that a solution to that equation is the function $L_n(x) = e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (x^n \cdot e^{-x}) = e^xD^nM^n(e^{-x})$. The first step in the solution is to show that $L_n(x) = (D-I)^nM^n(y_0)$, where $y_0$ is the constant function $1$. This is done by using induction on $n$ to show the more general result $e^xD^nM^k(e^{-x}) = (D-I)^nM^k(y_0)$ for any positive integer $k$.

So the aim is to show that if $y_n = (D-I)^nM^n(y_0)$, then $(D-I)MD(y_n) = -ny_n,$ in other words $y_n$ is an eigenfunction for the operator $S = (D-I)MD$, corresponding to the eigenvalue $-n.$

That result is still not easy to prove. There are several intermediate steps, some of which are just algebraic calculations, while others have to be proved by induction. They are

$(1)\qquad (D-I)^nM - M(D-I)^n = n(D-I)^{n-1},$

$(2)\qquad (D-I)^{n+1}M^{n+1} = \bigl((D-I)M + nI\bigr)(D-I)^nM^n,$

$(3)\qquad S(D-I)M - (D-I)MS = S - (D-I)M \quad (\text{where }S = (D-I)MD),$

and finally

$(4)\qquad S(D-I)^nM^n(y_0) = -n(D-I)^nM^n(y_0).$

Details of all these calculations are in Radulescu's paper. The key idea throughout is to use the product rule $DM = MD + I$ in order to shift $M$s past $D$s.

Last edited:
Opalg said:
There does not seem to be any easy way to show that the Rodrigues polynomial $L_n(x)$ satisfies the Laguerre equation with $a=n$. I came across the paper Rodrigues-type formulae for Hermite and Laguerre polynomials by V. Radulescu, which has an ingenious proof of this result. For me, this is a particularly attractive method because it uses the machinery of operators to simplify the algebraic calculations. (Operators, algebra, Opalg, get the connection?)

For a differentiable function $y$, let $D$ denote the operation of differentiation, let $M$ denote the operation of multiplication by $x$, and let $I$ denote the identity operator. So $D(y) = \frac{dy}{dx}$, $M(y) = xy$ and $I(y) = y.$ Using this notation, the product rule for differentiation, $\frac d{dx}(xy) = x\frac{dy}{dx} + y$, becomes $DM(y) = MD(y) + I(y)$, which we can write as $DM = MD + I$.

Laguerre's equation $xy''+(1-x)y'+ny=0$ becomes $MD^2(y) + (I-M)Dy + nI(y) = 0$, or more simply $MD^2 + (I-M)D + nI = 0$. Using the relation $DM = MD + I$, you can re-write that as $(D-I)MD = -nI.$

We want to show that a solution to that equation is the function $L_n(x) = e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (x^n \cdot e^{-x}) = e^xD^nM^n(e^{-x})$. The first step in the solution is to show that $L_n(x) = (D-I)^nM^n(y_0)$, where $y_0$ is the constant function $1$. This is done by using induction on $n$ to show the more general result $e^xD^nM^k(e^{-x}) = (D-I)^nM^k(y_0)$ for any positive integer $k$.

So the aim is to show that if $y_n = (D-I)^nM^n(y_0)$, then $(D-I)MD(y_n) = -ny_n,$ in other words $y_n$ is an eigenfunction for the operator $S = (D-I)MD$, corresponding to the eigenvalue $-n.$

That result is still not easy to prove. There are several intermediate steps, some of which are just algebraic calculations, while others have to be proved by induction. They are

$(1)\qquad (D-I)^nM - M(D-I)^n = n(D-I)^{n-1},$

$(2)\qquad (D-I)^{n+1}M^{n+1} = \bigl((D-I)M + nI\bigr)(D-I)^nM^n,$

$(3)\qquad S(D-I)M - (D-I)MS = S - (D-I)M \quad (\text{where }S = (D-I)MD),$

and finally

$(4)\qquad S(D-I)^nM^n(y_0) = -n(D-I)^nM^n(y_0).$

Details of all these calculations are in Radulescu's paper. The key idea throughout is to use the product rule $DM = MD + I$ in order to shift $M$s past $D$s.

Interesting... (Thinking)

Do you maybe have also an idea of an other way or is it the only one? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Do you maybe have also an idea of an other way or is it the only one? (Thinking)
There is a closed form for the polynomial $L_n(x)$, namely \(\displaystyle L_n(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k(n-k)!{\textstyle {n\choose k}^2}x^k.\) I imagine that the original proof must have made use of this, but I do not know for sure.

Related to How can the polynomial $L_n(x)$ be used to solve the equation Laguerre?

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression that consists of variables, coefficients, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and exponentiation. It can have one or more terms, and the variables can only have whole number exponents.

How do you differentiate a polynomial?

To differentiate a polynomial, you must use the power rule, which states that the derivative of a term with an exponent of n is n times the coefficient of the term multiplied by the variable with an exponent of n-1. You must apply this rule to each term in the polynomial and then add the resulting terms together.

Why is differentiating a polynomial useful?

Differentiating a polynomial can help in finding the slope of a curve, determining the maximum or minimum values of a function, and solving optimization problems. It is also an essential tool in calculus and is used in many scientific and engineering fields.

What is the difference between differentiating a polynomial and integrating a polynomial?

Differentiating a polynomial is the process of finding its derivative, which measures its rate of change. Integrating a polynomial, on the other hand, is the process of finding its antiderivative, which is the reverse operation of differentiation. Integration is used to find the area under a curve and to solve differential equations.

Can all polynomials be differentiated?

Yes, all polynomials can be differentiated using the power rule. However, some polynomials may have complex or irrational coefficients, which may make the differentiation process more complicated. In these cases, it may be helpful to use algebraic manipulation to simplify the polynomial before differentiating it.