Pi or Pie: Which is More Important to You?

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary: And third choice, cherry... with lots of whipped cream.In summary, the conversation revolves around the misspelling of the mathematical symbol pi as "pie" and the question of which is more important - the number pi or the dessert pie. The conversation also includes a poll and various jokes and references to the importance and taste of pi and pie. Ultimately, the majority of participants choose pie over pi.

Pi or Pie?

• Pi

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • Pie

Votes: 30 46.9%

• Total voters
Char. Limit
Gold Member
So, I was browsing the complaints in the Forum Feedback today, just for fun, and I thought of something. Pi is commonly misspelled as "pie". And I got thinking, which is more important? Pi or pie? Which would you rather have?

And this poll was born, in a feverish stupor I might add.

So, what would you rather have... pi? or pie?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not both?

potd_pi-pie.jpg

Pie are squared. :biggrin:

Blueberry, blackberry, rhubarb or apricot-peach cobbler with vanilla ice-cream would hit the spot.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/redeye-puzzler/assets_c/2010/04/Pi-thumb-580x243-110735.jpg

I'm starving and love pies. I also hate circles (unless its a round pie).

So... Pie for me. :-p:-p:-p

Pie or pie?

Crud, I picked pi, but thought the choices were:

pi - 3.14159

or

pie - 3.14159 * 2.71828 = 8.54
(pie is always round)

People don't realize how important the number Pi is to the lives science affords them.

Two overweight people chose pie...

4 sad bastards chose Pi in a comedy thread.

People just don't realize how important a good tasting pie is to this world.

Pie all the way. I'll leave Pi for my calculator. I never thought Pi tasted too good.

This thread reminds me of my high school math teacher. His favorite joke was to ask the class, "What is the formula for the area of a circle?".

Invariably, at least one student would yell out, "Pi R squared !", to which he would reply, "No! Pie are round.".

Interestingly, he wasn't trying to be a bad comic, but had a mathematical point to make in doing this. He wanted to stress the importance of being precise in mathematics. The "blurted out" phrase from the students has no clear meaning on its own.

Last edited:
Mu naught said:
People don't realize how important the number Pi is to the lives science affords them.

Two overweight people chose pie...

I'd rather have pie over the symbol pi. Nobody said anything about taking away the actual value!

I answered your darn poll, now wheres my Pie?

Anonymous217 said:
I'd rather have pie over the symbol pi. Nobody said anything about taking away the actual value!

Exactly. If you take the pie, you get pi for free by studying the circular pie plate when you are done eating.

Now, try to bake a pie using only pi as an ingredient. If you succeed, don't ask me to try it. :eek:

hypatia said:

Ditto. This poll is a rip off. I thought I was getting some pie.

hypatia said:

:smile:

Astronuc said:
Pie are squared. :biggrin:

I hate to disagree with you, oh bearded wonder, and I also hate to post re-runs, but you leave me no choice:
"[URL=[PLAIN]http://img89.imageshack.us/i/pf2jb.jpg/[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
hypatia said:

It's in the mail, it should arrive in six to eight weeks. Whether it will be fit to eat then... well, that's up to you. Eat it if you want, I wouldn't recommend it.

Honestly, I'm surprised at the results.

To be honest, with no disrespect intended toward Char.Limit, the question doesn't really make sense to me. Pi is an intrinsic property of the universe, which happened to be interpreted by humans. Pie is a confection. It really doesn't matter how one feels about pi; it exists apart from any consciousness whether or not anyone appreciates it. It's an interesting question for a poll, but I really can't see the relevance.
That having been said, I voted for pi, because I prefer cake to pie.

Danger said:
To be honest, with no disrespect intended toward Char.Limit, the question doesn't really make sense to me. Pi is an intrinsic property of the universe, which happened to be interpreted by humans. Pie is a confection. It really doesn't matter how one feels about pi; it exists apart from any consciousness whether or not anyone appreciates it. It's an interesting question for a poll, but I really can't see the relevance.
That having been said, I voted for pi, because I prefer cake to pie.

There's no disrespect taken, becuase the question isn't supposed to be relevant to anything. It's simply a comedy question based on a common misspelling of pi, and my boredom at the time. And seriously, I was quite bored.

And I voted for pi as well, because I'm a total math nerd.

Char. Limit said:
There's no disrespect taken, becuase the question isn't supposed to be relevant to anything. It's simply a comedy question based on a common misspelling of pi, and my boredom at the time. And seriously, I was quite bored.

And I voted for pi as well, because I'm a total math nerd.

Well, somehow you've converted me into a Piethagorean.

... and, if that groaner doesn't kill this thread, I don't know what will.

stevenb said:
... and, if that groaner doesn't kill this thread, I don't know what will.

:smile:

Nice try, but it takes more than that around here. :biggrin:

Char. Limit said:
So, I was browsing the complaints in the Forum Feedback today, just for fun, and I thought of something. Pi is commonly misspelled as "pie". And I got thinking, which is more important? Pi or pie? Which would you rather have?

In Spanish pi is pronouned pee which is not too surprising since phi (except for fraternities) is commonly pronounced phee.

So the poll should have had a third catecory.

I voted for pie. Try doing this with pi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwirWWnzJKM

or this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFhcoRl796Q

Last edited:
Andre said:
Why not both?

potd_pi-pie.jpg

This is best. I want to have my pi and eat it too.

zoobyshoe said:
This is best. I want to have my pi and eat it too.
Yes! Yum...

Char. Limit said:

Pumpkin ... with lots of whipped cream. Second choice, banana cream pie.

I love pie! This is the season for tourtiere! Spicy, seasoned pie made of ground meat. Keep the pumpkin, apple, cherry... Give me tourtiere.

turbo said:
I love pie! This is the season for tourtiere! Spicy, seasoned pie made of ground meat. Keep the pumpkin, apple, cherry... Give me tourtiere.

THAT is a DEAL!
*walks away with 3 pies*

lisab said:
THAT is a DEAL!

*walks away with 3 pies*
Apparently, you have never had real tourtiere, or you would never have made that deal. "I'll take Door #3..." Nope. These choices are not equivalent in the least.

lisab said:
*walks away with 3 pies*
Don't you mean π pies?

I don't like pie. The only sweets I like are cheesecake and Reese's (not at the same time).

Dembadon said:
I don't like pie
come again?

dacruick said:
come again?

I dislike pie.

Dembadon said:
I dislike pie.

All types of pie? I mean, this is getting out of hand.

dacruick said:
All types of pie? I mean, this is getting out of hand.

Yes; all types. Perhaps someday I'll eat a piece of pie that changes my mind. However, this is an unlikely scenario because I dislike pie.