Physics or Electrical Engineering

In summary, the speaker is a 30-year-old software professional who is considering going back to school for a PhD in EE, despite being more interested in theoretical or mathematical physics. They have a family with two children and are the sole source of income, making it a difficult decision. They are also unsure if they should complete their PhD in EE and pursue physics as a hobby, or go for an MS in mathematics and then a PhD in physics. They have seen others with a similar background successfully pursue a PhD in physics, but are unsure of the cost and are currently in a dilemma about what to do.
hariyo
I am in serious dilemma what to choose. I work as software profession till now for 5 yrs and I am already 30 yrs old.Lately I was thinking going back to school and apply for EE(signal procession or communication or RF) for phd. I got admission on them too but I am least interested onto it though I did my bachelor in electronics and telecom engineering.Here in US I did MS in CS some 5 yrs back.I really wanted to do phd before I become too old to do it.Now having family with 2 kids and me only source of income,it is tough but I am determine to do against all odds.
Now my question is I am more interested in Physics(theoretical or mathematical) and I dream of having phd in physics in my belt but I don't have enough background on both physics and math except what they used to teach in engineering.So, should I go and complete my phd in EE where I will probably be around 35+ by then and latter part of my life just take physics as hobby? OR should I go for MS in mathematics and then latter phd in physics which will add more couple of year to it.
I saw couple of resume floating in internet where they did Bachelor in EE and did MS and phd in Physics.So, I know this seems possible but at what cost? Somebody wrote do what you like and here I am in complete dilemma state as what to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry folks for asking some stupid question. I should have seen earlier threads before putting this question. I see lot of threads similar to mine. I think I know what I wanted to do now.Thx..

Related to Physics or Electrical Engineering

1. What is the difference between physics and electrical engineering?

Physics is a branch of science that studies matter, energy, and their interactions. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. On the other hand, electrical engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the design, development, and application of electrical systems, such as circuits, power generation, and communications. While physics is more theoretical and focuses on understanding the natural world, electrical engineering is more practical and applies scientific knowledge to create useful technologies.

2. Is a degree in physics or electrical engineering more beneficial for a career in technology?

Both degrees can lead to successful careers in technology, but it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. A degree in physics may be more beneficial for roles that involve research and development, while a degree in electrical engineering may be more valuable for roles that involve designing and implementing electrical systems. It's important to research and consider your career goals before choosing a degree path.

3. Can someone with a physics degree work in the field of electrical engineering?

Yes, someone with a degree in physics can work in the field of electrical engineering. Many concepts in physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, are directly applicable to electrical engineering. However, additional training or education may be necessary to gain specific skills and knowledge in electrical engineering.

4. What are some common career paths for those with degrees in physics or electrical engineering?

Common career paths for those with degrees in physics include research positions in academia or in the private sector, teaching, and roles in industries such as aerospace, defense, and energy. For those with degrees in electrical engineering, common career paths include roles in electronics, telecommunications, power systems, and computer hardware and software development.

5. How does the study of physics or electrical engineering contribute to advancements in technology?

The study of physics and electrical engineering has led to numerous advancements in technology. Physics has helped us understand the fundamental principles of the universe and has led to the development of technologies such as nuclear power, lasers, and semiconductors. Electrical engineering has contributed to the creation of technologies such as computers, cell phones, and renewable energy sources. Both fields continue to drive innovation and advancements in technology.