Mechanical + Electrical Double Major

In summary, the speaker is currently studying electrical engineering but is considering a double major with mechanical engineering. They are currently taking a statics course and are enjoying it. They are seeking opinions on an EE+ME double major and are wondering about the potential length of time it would take to complete. They also mention the possibility of a mechatronics degree, but are unsure about the curriculum.
Apogee
Currently, I'm going into electrical engineering, but I've been considering a double major with mechanical engineering. I'm taking a statics course right now and am really enjoying it. It definitely seems like something in which I'd be interested. If anyone is doing this, studying either major, or has some insight they'd like to contribute, I would like to get opinions on an EE+ME double major.

Physics news on Phys.org
How long would that take at your university? It'd take 7 years at mine, vs 4 years for either... There is very little cross over in courses.

Have you looked at a mechatronics degree?

I'm not entirely sure how long it would take. I'm not sure if I could count mechanical engineering classes as electives for electrical engineering and vice versa. Most likely not, since it sounds too easy xD.

I have not. I'm assuming the curriculum would focus more on control systems in machines and stuff like that, but I could be dead wrong hahaha.

Related to Mechanical + Electrical Double Major

1. What is a Mechanical + Electrical Double Major?

A Mechanical + Electrical Double Major is an academic program in which a student studies both mechanical engineering and electrical engineering. This allows the student to gain knowledge and skills in both fields, making them more versatile and marketable in the job market.

2. What courses will I take in a Mechanical + Electrical Double Major?

The specific courses will vary depending on the university and program, but generally, students will take a combination of mechanical and electrical engineering courses, as well as related math, physics, and computer science courses. Some common courses include mechanics, thermodynamics, circuits, control systems, and digital systems.

3. What are the career opportunities for graduates with a Mechanical + Electrical Double Major?

Graduates with a Mechanical + Electrical Double Major have a wide range of career opportunities in both mechanical and electrical engineering fields. They can work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, robotics, and telecommunications. Some common job titles for these graduates include design engineer, project manager, systems engineer, and research and development engineer.

4. Is a Mechanical + Electrical Double Major a difficult program?

As with any double major, a Mechanical + Electrical Double Major can be challenging, as it requires a lot of coursework in two different engineering disciplines. However, many students find the program rewarding and are able to manage the workload with proper time management and dedication.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree with a Mechanical + Electrical Double Major?

Yes, graduates with a Mechanical + Electrical Double Major are well-prepared for graduate studies in either mechanical or electrical engineering. They can also pursue interdisciplinary graduate programs in areas such as mechatronics, control systems, or renewable energy. Additionally, this double major can also open up opportunities for research and teaching positions in academia.