Materials Eng & Electrical Eng for Neural Prosthetics/Muscles

In summary, the speaker is interested in pursuing a career in neural prosthetics and plans to get a graduate degree in biomedical engineering. They are currently deciding between an EE major with a biomedical engineering minor or a Materials Science Engineering major with a specialization in biomaterials. They are also considering taking additional courses outside of their major to supplement their studies.
QuantumNate
I know and have known for a while now that I want to be involved with neural prosthetics, and artificial limbs and muscles. I eventually plan on getting a graduate degree in biomedical engineering, but for the sake of knowledge, experience, and security, I plan to get my undergrad degree in one of the more traditional engineering disciplines. For a long time I was fixed on EE but I've come to realize that a lot of the EE work for prosthetic area of the biotech revolution has been done, and that the biggest concern right now is making these developments compatible with our biology, i.e. biocompatibility. My two biggest areas of interest are creating artificial muscles/tissue that can handle and work with non-biological electrical signals, and then creating prostheses that directly link with the brain and nervous system. It will only be for two years as I am transferring from a community college, so keep that in mind when thinking about work load. The school I am looking at is UC Irvine, I have friends and family there already and would not be that far of a move. The two plans I have been looking at are an EE bachelors with a biomedical Eng minor, or a Materials Sci Eng with a specialization in biomaterials. They also have a Materials Sci specialization in electronic materials, so I have also thought about doing that with the biomed minor. But with only two years to complete the workload is an issue. Any feedback would be great thank you.
- Nate Boyle

Physics news on Phys.org
Both of your options are excellent choices for pursuing the field of neural prosthetics. The EE major with a biomedical engineering minor would give you a broad understanding of electrical and computing engineering, while the Materials Science Engineering major with a specialization in biomaterials would give you a good foundation for understanding the material properties of prosthetics and how they can interact with our biology. Ultimately, what you decide would depend on the specific area you want to focus on, and the courses that are available at the university. Speak with the academic advisors at UC Irvine to get their opinion on which degree would be best for you given your interests. Additionally, you might also consider taking some classes outside of your major to supplement your studies, such as classes in computer science, neuroscience, or other relevant fields.

Related to Materials Eng & Electrical Eng for Neural Prosthetics/Muscles

1. What is Materials Engineering?

Materials Engineering is a field of study that deals with the design, development, and testing of materials used in various industries. This includes understanding the structure and properties of materials, as well as how they can be manipulated to improve their performance.

2. What is Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. This includes designing and building electrical systems, as well as developing new technologies and devices that use electricity.

3. How are Materials Engineering and Electrical Engineering related to Neural Prosthetics/Muscles?

Both Materials Engineering and Electrical Engineering play important roles in the development of neural prosthetics and muscle-based technologies. Materials engineers work on designing and developing biocompatible materials that can be used in these devices, while electrical engineers focus on creating the electronic components and systems that allow these devices to function.

4. What are the challenges in using materials and electrical components for Neural Prosthetics/Muscles?

One of the main challenges is finding materials that are both biocompatible and durable enough to withstand the harsh conditions inside the body. Additionally, creating electrical components that can be safely implanted and interact with the body's electrical signals can be difficult.

5. What advancements have been made in Materials Engineering and Electrical Engineering for Neural Prosthetics/Muscles?

In recent years, there have been significant advancements in both fields that have greatly improved the development of neural prosthetics and muscle-based technologies. Materials engineers have developed new biocompatible materials, such as graphene and biodegradable polymers, while electrical engineers have created more efficient and precise electronic components, such as microelectrodes and sensors.