Masters in Engineering: Should I Pursue an MSc in the UK?

In summary, the author graduated from a small liberal arts college with a BA in Physics. He is applying to graduate school in Aeronautical Engineering and is unsure if he is prepared for the workload. He has a good grasp of mathematics and has experience working with fluids. He is planning on doing his thesis in fluid dynamics, though that could absolutely change once he gets thrown into... everything else that goes along with being a graduate student!
MyWifesABobcat
Hey All

I need some advice

I graduated from a small liberal arts college with a BA in Physics. I dealt with quite a bit in college, and as a result (coupled with my unwillingness to study as much as I should have), I ended up with a 2.8 and pretty much no research experience.

I've applied (and been accepted) into some grad programs in Aeronautical Engineering (M.S.), which is what I had always planned on doing as a career.

However, I'm not quite sure if I'm prepared for graduate school. I'm quite a bit different now than when I was in college, and would definitely say I have a stronger work ethic and goals, but I've never taken any engineering courses besides 1 upper division fluid mechanics course.

On top of all of that, my top choice is in the United Kingdom - a 1 year MSc course (12 months). Will it simply be too much work for someone who hasn't had any experience and, quite frankly, a lousy track record of academic success?

I'd like to stress that I believe in myself, and that I will be a much better and more studious student than I was as an undergrad, but I feel like I may be in over my head here. Any advice or reality checks would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I'd like to note that I am passionate about aeronautics and aviation, so it wasn't some arbitrary choice. This is what I have always wanted to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
MyWifesABobcat said:
I graduated from a small liberal arts college with a BA in Physics. I dealt with quite a bit in college, and as a result (coupled with my unwillingness to study as much as I should have), I ended up with a 2.8 and pretty much no research experience.
a 2.8 is pretty low. do you remember anything learned from undergrad, both concerning math and physics?

MyWifesABobcat said:
but I've never taken any engineering courses besides 1 upper division fluid mechanics course.
i'm a masters student in mechanical engineering (very similar to aerospace) studying fluids (now it's exactly like aerospace) and i can tell you there is little difference between my courses of study and fluids dealing with physics (by little difference i mean the two are identical in material).

MyWifesABobcat said:
On top of all of that, my top choice is in the United Kingdom - a 1 year MSc course (12 months). Will it simply be too much work for someone who hasn't had any experience and, quite frankly, a lousy track record of academic success?
again, how much do you remember from undergrad? terminology will still be here, and my guess is tensor algebra/calculus will manifest itself. obviously partial differential equations will appear, and perhaps some statistics too. i would be encouraged to try and gain an intimate understanding of these subjects, as your grad program will assume everyone already understands the material.

MyWifesABobcat said:
I'd like to stress that I believe in myself, and that I will be a much better and more studious student than I was as an undergrad, but I feel like I may be in over my head here. Any advice or reality checks would be greatly appreciated.

you really have no idea if you can manage the workload or not. it sounds like you've never given yourself a chance to see how you perform in the academic arena, so only you can answer this (and even then, my guess is you won't know unless you enroll).

what area of aerospace are you studying?

a 2.8 is pretty low. do you remember anything learned from undergrad, both concerning math and physics?

I've got a pretty solid grasp of all of the necessary mathematics. Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, Probability & Statistics, Numerical Analysis, ODEs, PDEs. My upper division math GPA was much better than my overall.

Most of my poor grades came from (oddly enough) my general courses, as well as a few poor performances in some of my more theoretical physics courses. I got very high marks in Fluids and dynamics, though, which encourages me a bit when looking at a masters in a mechanical engineering type of program.

you really have no idea if you can manage the workload or not. it sounds like you've never given yourself a chance to see how you perform in the academic arena, so only you can answer this (and even then, my guess is you won't know unless you enroll).

You are absolutely right, I really have no idea. I had pretty much no opportunity for real research (or rather, I didn't make any opportunities), so I have absolutely no experience besides my experimental research course. I've never given a scientific presentation based on my own research at all.

what area of aerospace are you studying?

http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/aeronauticalengineering/ I'm planning on doing my thesis in fluid dynamics, though that could absolutely change once I get thrown into the fire. I'm mostly just concerned with the fact that I've never taken any of these courses before, and coupled with my poor performance and the fact that it seems to be a more intensive program than a US one, I may be in over my head.

I believe in myself and I have the work ethic to do it, but that's very easy for me to say while I sit on my computer at home with no commitments at the moment.

Thanks again for the reply.

MyWifesABobcat said:
I've got a pretty solid grasp of all of the necessary mathematics. Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, Probability & Statistics, Numerical Analysis, ODEs, PDEs. My upper division math GPA was much better than my overall.

Most of my poor grades came from (oddly enough) my general courses, as well as a few poor performances in some of my more theoretical physics courses. I got very high marks in Fluids and dynamics, though, which encourages me a bit when looking at a masters in a mechanical engineering type of program.

it sounds like you are not in a bad position. knowing the math affords you the toolkit you'll probably need to succeed in aerospace. and having high grades in your core is really all that matters (once you're in, that is). overall it sounds like you're not off as bad as your initial post made it sound.

MyWifesABobcat said:
You are absolutely right, I really have no idea. I had pretty much no opportunity for real research (or rather, I didn't make any opportunities), so I have absolutely no experience besides my experimental research course. I've never given a scientific presentation based on my own research at all.
lacking research most likely only hurts your application. once you're in, I'm sure faculty will help you start into it. i really wouldn't worry about prior research. after all, that's what graduate school is for.

MyWifesABobcat said:
I'm mostly just concerned with the fact that I've never taken any of these courses before, and coupled with my poor performance and the fact that it seems to be a more intensive program than a US one, I may be in over my head.
if you feel this way, find out what courses you'll be taking, email the professors for the books and authors, and start into the material. i always do this and i'd say it has paid off big time. even if you don't learn a ton on your own, you're not going into the term blind.

good luck!

As a scientist, my advice would be to carefully consider your options before pursuing a Masters in Engineering in the UK. While it may seem like a great opportunity, it's important to consider the potential challenges and risks involved.

First of all, it's important to assess your readiness for graduate school. As you mentioned, your academic record may not be the strongest and you have limited experience in engineering courses. This could make it difficult to keep up with the rigorous coursework and demands of a graduate program. It's important to be honest with yourself about your capabilities and whether you are truly prepared for this level of academic intensity.

Furthermore, pursuing a degree in a different country can present additional challenges. You will be immersed in a new culture and may have to adjust to a different educational system. This could add to the already demanding workload and potentially impact your academic performance.

It's also important to consider the financial aspect of studying in the UK. Tuition for international students can be significantly higher and living expenses may also be more expensive. Make sure you have a solid plan for funding your education and living expenses before making a decision.

That being said, if you are truly passionate about aeronautics and aviation and believe that a Masters in Engineering in the UK will help you achieve your career goals, then it may be worth pursuing. Just be prepared for the challenges that may come with it and make sure you have a support system in place to help you through it.

In conclusion, my advice would be to carefully weigh the pros and cons and consider your readiness before making a decision. Talk to current students or alumni from the program you are interested in and gather as much information as possible before committing to a Masters in Engineering in the UK. Best of luck in your decision-making process.

Related to Masters in Engineering: Should I Pursue an MSc in the UK?

1. What are the benefits of pursuing an MSc in Engineering in the UK?

There are several benefits to pursuing an MSc in Engineering in the UK. Firstly, the UK is home to some of the top universities in the world for engineering, providing high-quality education and research opportunities. Additionally, studying in the UK can enhance your career prospects as it is recognized globally as a leader in engineering. Finally, the UK offers a diverse and multicultural environment, providing an enriching experience for international students.

2. What are the entry requirements for an MSc in Engineering in the UK?

The specific entry requirements for an MSc in Engineering in the UK may vary depending on the university you choose. Generally, you will need to hold a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as engineering or a related subject, with a minimum GPA of 3.0. You may also be required to provide proof of English language proficiency and relevant work experience.

3. How long does it take to complete an MSc in Engineering in the UK?

The duration of an MSc in Engineering program in the UK can vary depending on the university and the specific program. On average, it takes one year to complete a full-time MSc program, while part-time options may take two years. Some universities also offer accelerated programs that can be completed in a shorter timeframe.

4. What are the job prospects after completing an MSc in Engineering in the UK?

The job prospects for graduates with an MSc in Engineering in the UK are excellent. With the UK's strong economy and thriving engineering industry, there is a high demand for skilled engineers. Graduates can find employment in various sectors, including aerospace, automotive, construction, and renewable energy, among others. Additionally, completing an MSc in Engineering can also open up opportunities for further study or research in the field.

5. What is the cost of pursuing an MSc in Engineering in the UK?

The cost of pursuing an MSc in Engineering in the UK can vary depending on the university, program, and your nationality. On average, international students can expect to pay between £15,000-£25,000 per year for tuition fees. Additionally, living expenses, such as accommodation, food, and transportation, should also be considered. Scholarships and financial aid may be available to help offset the cost of studying in the UK.