Law of Multiple Proportions practice work

In summary, according to the law of multiple proportions, the fourth oxide could not be one of the four oxides of nitrogen.
AshleyGambrell

Homework Statement

5 There are four common oxides that contain only N and O. The composition of three of the

compounds is shown below. According to the law of Multiple proportions, which of the

four (a, b, c, d) could not be one of the four oxides of nitrogen? a. 1.000 g(N) combined with 2.8571 g(O)
b. 1.000 g(N) combined with 1.1429 g(O)
c. 1.000 g(N) combined with 1.7143 g(O)
d. 1.000 g(N) combined with 1.5000 g(O)

Homework Equations

x=(amount of whole substance-amount given)/amount given

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm struggling badly here, any tips would be much appreciated. I don't understand how I can get the answer without knowing the grams of the whole substance (N and O together).

Physics news on Phys.org
AshleyGambrell said:
without knowing the grams of the whole substance (N and O together).
It's given to you in the statement.
AshleyGambrell said:
a. 1.000 g(N) combined with 2.8571 g(O)
b. 1.000 g(N) combined with 1.1429 g(O)
c. 1.000 g(N) combined with 1.7143 g(O)
d. 1.000 g(N) combined with 1.5000 g(O)

What is the mass of the product if you combine 1.0 g of something with 1.5 g of something else (and you are guaranteed they reacted completely)?

Not that you need to know it - nor will it help you. The question tells you what law to use.

Couldn't you convert those grams to moles, divide the moles of oxygen by the moles of nitrogen, and see which ratio isn't possible in a molecule for the given elements?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Couldn't you convert those grams to moles, divide the moles of oxygen by the moles of nitrogen, and see which ratio isn't possible in a molecule for the given elements?

Nothing of that, the necessary information isn't given and the question loses point if it is. This question is prior to the mole concept, and you could say is an important part of its justification.

I'm curious to see how this problem will be solved then, because I can't make anything from the numbers given. For the record, though:

amount of whole substance = amount given + amount of other substance
x = (amount of whole substance - amount given)/amount given
x = (amount given + amount of other substance - amount given)/amount given
x = amount of other substance/amount given

Because the bolded cancel each other out. Tell me if I'm giving too much of the answer away, mods.

Well I see people are stuck so it is a good excercise. (A good academic excercise - academic because it is with made-up figures, like a lot we got recently probably from same source, but at least ideally these make sense which others didn't even.) People are stuck because it is too elementary for them, comes from lesson 1 or at most 2 in quantitative chemistry. And possibly lessons 1 and 2 were dropped from many curriculae.
You only have to know what the quoted law actually is and I don't know what's stopping the OP or anyone else but Hushh!

Last edited:
Likes Bystander
When "stumped" or in doubt, READ the question.
AshleyGambrell said:
n

Homework Equations

x=(amount of whole substance-amount given)/amount give[/B]

First of all - what does the law of multiple proportions say? Quote it.

The zloty has dropped! :oldbiggrin:

Related to Law of Multiple Proportions practice work

What is the Law of Multiple Proportions?

The Law of Multiple Proportions states that when two elements combine to form more than one compound, the mass of one element that combines with a fixed mass of the other element is in a ratio of small whole numbers.

How does the Law of Multiple Proportions relate to atomic theory?

The Law of Multiple Proportions was one of the key pieces of evidence used to support the atomic theory. It showed that elements are made up of tiny, indivisible particles (atoms) that combine in fixed ratios to form compounds.

What is an example of the Law of Multiple Proportions in action?

An example of the Law of Multiple Proportions is the combination of carbon and oxygen to form carbon monoxide (CO) and carbon dioxide (CO2). The ratio of oxygen to carbon in CO is 1:1, while the ratio in CO2 is 2:1, demonstrating the law's principle of small whole numbers.

How is the Law of Multiple Proportions used in chemical calculations?

The Law of Multiple Proportions is used in stoichiometry to calculate the amount of product formed from a given amount of reactants. By knowing the ratio of elements in a compound, scientists can determine the amount of each element present and use that information to calculate the mass or moles of product formed.

What are some limitations of the Law of Multiple Proportions?

The Law of Multiple Proportions assumes that elements only combine in whole number ratios, which is not always the case. It also does not account for isotopes, which can affect the ratio of elements in a compound. Additionally, the law is not applicable to compounds with more than two elements, as it only considers the combination of two elements.