Law of multiple proportions (need method check please)

In summary, the conversation discusses the law of multiple proportions and the concept of small number ratios in molecules. The participants work through an example problem involving carbon and hydrogen, and consider the relevance of the number 140 in their calculations. They also touch upon the atomic weights and their importance in determining the number of atoms in a substance. The conversation concludes by mentioning the solution to a famous puzzle involving the law of multiple proportions.
rwooduk

Homework Statement

DfXmKL6.jpg

Homework Equations

Law of multiple proportions

The Attempt at a Solution

Carbon first:

4.61/0.39 = 11.82 C/H

Hydrogen

0.39/4.61 = 0.08 H/C

therefore 11.82/0.08 = 139.72 ~ 140

masses of carbon that combine with hydrogen are in a 140:1 ratio

Does this look right? Or have i just done the second part?

image.jpg

i have no idea what I am doing

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does this mean ? You divide C/H by H/C and get C2/H2. Is that the law of multiple proportions ?

BvU said:
What does this mean ? You divide C/H by H/C and get C2/H2.

This was just a method i followed from here:

http://chemistry.about.com/od/workedchemistryproblems/a/law-of-multiple-proportions-problem.htm

there are 57.1 g O and 42.9 g C. The mass of O per gram C is:

57.1 g O / 42.9 g C = 1.33 g O per g C

there are 72.7 g O and 27.3 g C. The mass of oxygen per gram of carbon is:

72.7 g O / 27.3 g C = 2.66 g O per g C

Dividing the mass O per g C of the second (larger value) compound:

2.66 / 1.33 = 2

Is this method not correct?

BvU said:
Is that the law of multiple proportions ?

As I understand it so far for AB and AB2 there are small number ratios for the B of each compound. I am unsure how to apply this to the question.

Many thanks for the reply

Ha, in the example, there are two substances. In one of them, there is twice as much O per C as in the other. (so one can be CO4 and the other CO2, for example -- but CO and CO2 is more probable :wink:) .

You only have one substance, so I'm afraid you will need atomic weights to work towards a nice ratio.

BvU said:
Ha, in the example, there are two substances. In one of them, there is twice as much O per C as in the other. (so one can be CO4 and the other CO2, for example -- but CO and CO2 is more probable :wink:) .

ahh i see thanks

BvU said:
You only have one substance, so I'm afraid you will need atomic weights to work towards a nice ratio.

please could you expand on this a little?

Did the 140 I got have any relevence?

thanks again

LOMP: Law which states that when elements combine, they do so in the ratio of small whole numbers (assuming they have the same type of chemical bonds).
For two substances with different weight ratios you can divide out the atomic weights.

Molecules are formed from atoms (or other molecules) in the ratio of small numbers of constituents. The constituents are not counted in amounts of mass but in amounts of atoms (or molecules). So you have to convert the masses to number of atoms by dividing by the atomic weights.

[edit] And the 140 is C2 / H2 in kg2/kg2, for which I can't think of an interesting physical meaning :smile:

BvU said:
For two substances with different weight ratios you can divide out the atomic weights.

Molecules are formed from atoms (or other molecules) in the ratio of small numbers of constituents. The constituents are not counted in amounts of mass but in amounts of atoms (or molecules). So you have to convert the masses to number of atoms by dividing by the atomic weights.

Ahh I see, yes, ok thanks very much for your help!

You're welcome. Interesting substance ! This ratio has puzzled mankind (well, the scientific community) for a while, until August Kekule dreamed up the solution !

Likes rwooduk
Yes, as said, for multiple proportions law you need two compounds. If as well as data in #1 you use that in #3 you can answer the question.

Likes rwooduk

Related to Law of multiple proportions (need method check please)

What is the Law of Multiple Proportions?

The Law of Multiple Proportions is a fundamental principle in chemistry that states that when two elements combine to form different compounds, the ratio of masses of one element that combine with a fixed mass of the other element can be expressed in small whole numbers.

Who discovered the Law of Multiple Proportions?

The Law of Multiple Proportions was first discovered by the English chemist John Dalton in the early 19th century.

What is an example of the Law of Multiple Proportions?

An example of the Law of Multiple Proportions is the combination of oxygen and nitrogen to form two different compounds - nitrous oxide (N2O) and dinitrogen monoxide (N2O2). The ratio of oxygen to nitrogen in nitrous oxide is 1:2, while the ratio in dinitrogen monoxide is 2:1, both expressed in small whole numbers.

How is the Law of Multiple Proportions used in chemistry?

The Law of Multiple Proportions is used to predict the chemical formulas of compounds and to determine the mass ratios of elements in a compound. It is also used to verify the validity of a proposed chemical formula.

What is the difference between the Law of Multiple Proportions and the Law of Definite Proportions?

The Law of Multiple Proportions states that when two elements combine to form different compounds, the ratio of masses of one element to a fixed mass of the other element can be expressed in small whole numbers. The Law of Definite Proportions, on the other hand, states that a given chemical compound always contains its constituent elements in a fixed mass ratio, regardless of the source of the compound.