How Do You Calculate the Normality of KMnO4 in This Stoichiometry Problem?

In summary, the problem involves determining the normality of a KMnO4 solution based on the reaction with a 1 g H2O2 solution containing x% of H2O2 by weight. The correct reaction equation involves the reduction of KMnO4 to Mn2+ in acidic medium. The weight of H2O2 in 1 g of the solution is x/100, and the number of equivalents in the solution is x/1700. By setting this equal to the number of equivalents in the KMnO4 solution (Nx/1000), the normality of the KMnO4 solution is determined to be 0.58 N.
Quantum Mind
Stoichiometry problem

Homework Statement

1 g of H2O2 solution containing x % of H2O2 by weight required x ml of KMnO4 for complete oxidation in acid medium. What is the normality of KMnO4 solution?

Homework Equations

H2O2 + KMnO4 => 2KOH + 2MnO2 + 2O2

The Attempt at a Solution

1 g of H2O2 solution contains x% of H2O2.

Molar mass of H2O2 = 34 g, which means in 100 g of solution, 34g of H2O2 are present. In 1 g of solution, 0.34 grams of H2O2 are present. This reacts with 34 ml of KMnO4.

I know that 17 g of H2O2 will react with 158.03 g of KMnO4, based on law of fixed proportions. The problem here is only the volume has been given and not the weight. The formula for Normality i.e. 1 mol / 1 L whereby 34 ml or 0.034 L is substituted in the denominator is not correct.

I know I am doing something wrong, but can't figure out what it is. Any help is appreciated.

The answer is 0.58 N.

I am struggling with stoichiometry and I hope that I will be allowed to post thorny (from my point of view) problems in this thread.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all - your reaction equation is wrong. Permanganate in acidic solution gets reduced to Mn2+.

Quantum Mind said:
Molar mass of H2O2 = 34 g, which means in 100 g of solution, 34g of H2O2 are present.

No, 1g of the solution contains 0.x g of H2O2

I am struggling with stoichiometry and I hope that I will be allowed to post thorny (from my point of view) problems in this thread.

Please start a new thread for each problem.

Borek said:
First of all - your reaction equation is wrong. Permanganate in acidic solution gets reduced to Mn2+.

Can you give the equation?

Borek said:
No, 1g of the solution contains 0.x g of H2O2

I am beginning to understand. Guess my whole understanding was off. Since it says that the solution contains x % of hydrogen peroxide, I can't assume it as 34% by weight. Is this correct?

The solution is to take the weight of hydrogen peroxide as x/100 in 1 gram. Since the equivalent weight of H2O2 is 17, the number of equivalence in this solution would be x/1700.

How do I proceed beyond this?

Quantum Mind said:
Can you give the equation?

Come on, you can. And if you don't know how to balance the equation - its time to learn it. Products are Mn2+, H2O and oxygen. Potassium is just a spectator, if you will balance net ionic equation it will not interfere. And don't forget solution is highly acidic, you will need a lot of acid on the left.

I am beginning to understand. Guess my whole understanding was off. Since it says that the solution contains x % of hydrogen peroxide, I can't assume it as 34% by weight. Is this correct?

The solution is to take the weight of hydrogen peroxide as x/100 in 1 gram. Since the equivalent weight of H2O2 is 17, the number of equivalence in this solution would be x/1700.

2xYes.

How do I proceed beyond this?

Express number of equivalents in x mL of the titrant solution as a function of x and concentration. You will have two equations in two unknowns.

Equivalents in KMnO4 will be Nx/1000

x/1700 = Nx/1000

N = 10/17 or 0.58 N.

Got it, thanks.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Normality of KMnO4 in This Stoichiometry Problem?

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

2. How do I solve stoichiometry problems?

To solve a stoichiometry problem, you need to first write a balanced chemical equation, determine the given and desired quantities, convert the given quantities to moles, use the mole ratio from the balanced equation to calculate the moles of the desired substance, and then convert the moles back to the desired units.

3. What is the mole ratio in stoichiometry?

The mole ratio in stoichiometry is the ratio between the number of moles of one substance and the number of moles of another substance in a chemical reaction, as determined by the coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

4. What units are used in stoichiometry?

The most commonly used units in stoichiometry are moles (mol) and grams (g), but other units such as liters (L) or particles (atoms or molecules) can also be used depending on the given and desired quantities in the problem.

5. What are some common types of stoichiometry problems?

Some common types of stoichiometry problems include determining the mass or volume of a product formed from a given amount of reactant, calculating the amount of reactant needed to produce a desired amount of product, and finding the limiting reagent in a reaction.