Is Today's Sci-Fi the Blueprint for Tomorrow's Tech?

In summary, Lynn from the Science and Technology industry considers that today's sci-fi could be tomorrow's technology. She points out that while we still do not have FTL travel, energy production to do large scale transformations, or the ability to change matter into food, some of the next advances will come after we learn to generate more energy. She also mentions Arthur C. Clarke, who "invented" geostationary communication satellites before we even had satellites, and Jules Verne, who described a submarine and space travel to the moon in his book "Vingt mille lieues sous les mers". Lastly, Lynn points out that while science fiction, in which physical laws are
lynn
Today's Sci-Fi will be tomorrow's technology?

Lynn here!
I'm a recruitment Consultant for the Science and Technology Industry and we've been having a chat about yesterday's Sci-fi being technology we use today in everyday life! How exciting to consider that today's sci-fi could be the technology of the future!
If anyone has any opinions about this, please feel free to chat with ,me!
L x

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, I like how the clamshell phones look like Kirk's communicator :-Das for today's sci-fi... well, we still do not have FTL travel, we do not have the energy production to be able to change matter into food or to transform matter on a large scale (particle beam transportation, not Quantum transportation)

I think that the next leap in tech will have to come after we learn to generate massively more amounts of energy because we will need it to do the things that are in sci-fi.

To the extent I'm aware of the history of Sci-Fi I get the impression that very, very little of it gets realized. What happens instead is that we discover how to do other things than those that were predicted, and these different but real advances are never as simple or smoothly operating as the gizmo's in the old books and TV shows.

That today's sci-fi becomes tomorrow's technology is no coincidence.

Speculative fiction writers (a more accurate term than sci-fi writers) are *in the business* of preparing for the future. Many of the best ones are scientists or mathematicians and spend quite a bit of time consulting with other full-time scientists. Many not only attend, but are strong participators in various science efforts, including the space program. This also means they are privvy to the very latest in discoveries and engineeering achievements.

So often referenced it is almost a cliche, Arthur C. Clarke "invented" geostationary communication satellites before we even had satellites.

People often wonder at writers' abilities to imagine the future. It's what they *do*!

One SF author I find impressive in this regard is the the 19th-century author Jules Verne. He envisioned a fully functioning submarine. He also described space travel to the moon.

At the time (1869-1870) Jules Verne wrote "Vingt mille lieues sous les mers" (Twenty Thousand Leagues (Miles) Under the Sea), submarines had been conceived in 1775 (Bushnell's turtle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_(submarine)) and constructed by 1776. However, larger craft were a long way off - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine#Early_history_of_submarines_and_the_first_submersibles.

Science fiction, in which physical laws are violated, will always remain science fiction.

And sometimes, science fiction comes after science and technology has been developed. There needs to be some basic understanding of the natural physical laws, e.g. nuclear energy.

I am reminded of some journalist's comment during the 1990's that NASA's Xe ion propulsion system was a realization of Gene Roddenbury's concept from Star Trek (1960's). Actually, ion propulsion had been studied at least as early as the 1950's, and possibly earlier based on ion sources and particle accelerators.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder whether solar sails first arose as SF. They have been used by the famous Cornell astronomer's foundation.

As you pointed out, Verne's ingenuity was to see a fully functional submarine in which people can remain for an extended period of time.

Enuma_Elish said:
I wonder whether solar sails first arose as SF. They have been used by the famous Cornell astronomer's foundation.

As you pointed out, Verne's ingenuity was to see a fully functional submarine in which people can remain for an extended period of time.

problem with solar sails is that the object will get stuck at the heloppause.

Recently they have been used to propel a Sagan Foundation spacecraft , haven't they?

Astronuc said:
I am reminded of some journalist's comment during the 1990's that NASA's Xe ion propulsion system was a realization of Gene Roddenbury's concept from Star Trek (1960's). Actually, ion propulsion had been studied at least as early as the 1950's, and possibly earlier based on ion sources and particle accelerators.
Most people don't realize that Gene was an airline pilot before becoming a writer, and thus had a pretty reasonable knowledge of propulsion technology. He was aware of ion engine theory, and knew that such would never be able to attain the sort of acceleration depicted in the show. The name 'Impulse' was deliberately vague so it couldn't be disproven.

Some parts of sci-fi such as nanomorphs, unbreakable metals (e.g. adamantium), anti-gravity devices and perpetual machines (free energy) will probably always remain in the realm of human imagination.

One of the the most spookily accurate predictions I've come across in SF is in a 1946 story called A Logic Named Joe by Murray Leinster.

In it, the modern reader can't help but recognise the desk top PC complete with internet access.

Enuma Elish said:
One SF author I find impressive in this regard is the the 19th-century author Jules Verne. He envisioned a fully functioning submarine. He also described space travel to the moon.
In the collected works of Edgar Allen Poe I own there is an afterward for his story http://www.poedecoder.com/Qrisse/works/phaal.html which actually describes a history of stories related to traveling to the moon which predates even Verne.

Astronuc said:
Science fiction, in which physical laws are violated, will always remain science fiction.

However, until [if ever] physics is complete, and even then there wouild be a little room for doubt for a long time to come, apparent violations of physical laws may or may not remain so forever. Unless someone is psychic, I don't see how the distinction can be made with any certainty. We can only talk about the limits of what the current physics allows. What we might learn a thousand [or a million!] years from now is tough to say.

Keep in mind that what has been called the most fundamental assumption of physics, causality, could still be up for grabs according to some models. According to Hawking's 2002 book, "The future of Spacetime", there is no consensus that reverse time machines have been ruled out.

Note also that we might interpret some proposed Sci-Fi technology as violating physics, say for example in the sense that flight was once believed to be impossible, or as time was once believed to be immutable, but this could be more a comment on our limited thinking rather than the limits of physics.

Last edited:
Janus said:
One of the the most spookily accurate predictions I've come across in SF is in a 1946 story called A Logic Named Joe by Murray Leinster.

In it, the modern reader can't help but recognise the desk top PC complete with internet access.
This is interesting. How close is it to a computer? To what extent does he explain how it operates?

This may or may not be a credible source, but at a glance I was surprised to find Scotty's transparent aluminum under development.

Science Fiction Inventions by Subject Area
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science_List.asp

Transparent Aluminum [under Armor on the page above]
http://www.tswg.gov/tswg/pp/pp_ma.htm

zoobyshoe said:
This is interesting. How close is it to a computer? To what extent does he explain how it operates?

Since this was a story and not a engineering treatise, the actual working are left somewhat vague.

As to how close, here are a few things the story does mention.

Desk top model with keyboard and vision screen.

Widespread use with one in almost every home.

Onboard logical processing (as opposed to a number of simple monitors tied to a single central processor.)

User friendly, common language usage (no need for knowledge of a programming language to use.)

Access to a data network(internet) from your desktop

Real-time updates on weather, stocks etc.

Real-time video and audio comumication

Parental control blocks for access to adult content.

TV over desk top.

On screen help.

Ability to upload software.

Great site, Ivan! I've added it to my 'favourites'.
Janus, that's a fine bit of foresight regarding the computer. Another one that got my attention was a novella called 'Nerves' by Lester del Rey. Although I haven't read it in over 25 years, my recollection is that it's a dead-on accurate account of a nuclear station meltdown... written in 1934.

Janus said:
Since this was a story and not a engineering treatise, the actual working are left somewhat vague.
As to how close, here are a few things the story does mention.
Desk top model with keyboard and vision screen.
Widespread use with one in almost every home.
Onboard logical processing (as opposed to a number of simple monitors tied to a single central processor.)
User friendly, common language usage (no need for knowledge of a programming language to use.)
Access to a data network(internet) from your desktop
Real-time updates on weather, stocks etc.
Real-time video and audio comumication
Parental control blocks for access to adult content.
TV over desk top.
On screen help.
Ability to upload software.
That's pretty eerie. It seems so close that it's more like he saw into the future than inspired it. I'm sure I've never heard of that story or the author before. Is he well known among the Sci-Fi cognoscenti, or did you run into this story by accident on your own? It's so outside the usual or at least famous, early Sci-Fi take on computers, which is the fear of Hal, or the fear of sentient robots equiped with computer-brains. As far as I know, the only people who knew about computers at that time were people in the government. I wonder what he was extrapolating the idea from.

Zoob, Murray Leinster is one of the icons of SF. (And I will point out right now that using the term 'sci-fi' to a science fiction fan is equivalent to calling his mother a whore.) He was a prelude to, and part of, the 'Golden Age of SF', where the likes of Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson, Robert Heinlein, and their friends were physics students who started writing professionally for 2 cents a word.

Danger said:
Zoob, Murray Leinster is one of the icons of SF. (And I will point out right now that using the term 'sci-fi' to a science fiction fan is equivalent to calling his mother a whore.) He was a prelude to, and part of, the 'Golden Age of SF', where the likes of Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson, Robert Heinlein, and their friends were physics students who started writing professionally for 2 cents a word.
So, he's a big name in Sci-Fi, then. I see.

:-p ..

Danger said:
:-p ..
Mind you, I have the greatest respect for all mothers. Just sounds like the Sci-Fi fans might be taking it all too seriously.

Related to Is Today's Sci-Fi the Blueprint for Tomorrow's Tech?

1. What is the concept behind "Today's Sci-Fi will be tomorrow's technology?"

The concept behind this phrase is the idea that science fiction, which often explores futuristic and advanced technologies, can inspire and influence real-life technological advancements. As our understanding of science and technology continues to grow, what may seem like far-fetched ideas in science fiction may one day become a reality.

2. How has science fiction influenced technology in the past?

There are numerous examples of science fiction inspiring real-life technology. For instance, the concept of a personal computer was first explored in science fiction stories before becoming a household item. Similarly, the idea of video calling, self-driving cars, and even virtual reality were all ideas presented in science fiction before they became a reality.

3. Are there any current technologies that were inspired by science fiction?

Yes, there are many current technologies that were first inspired by science fiction. For example, the tablet computer was first introduced in the 1968 film "2001: A Space Odyssey," and is now a widely used technology. Additionally, the concept of a smartwatch was first seen in the TV series "Star Trek" before becoming a popular consumer product.

4. What are some potential future technologies that may have been influenced by science fiction?

There are many potential future technologies that could have been inspired by science fiction. Some examples include space tourism, artificial intelligence, and advanced forms of transportation such as hyperloop systems. Many of these ideas have been explored in science fiction and are now being actively researched and developed.

5. Is there a downside to the idea of "Today's Sci-Fi will be tomorrow's technology?"

While the idea of science fiction inspiring real-life technology is exciting, it is important to consider the potential downsides. For instance, some sci-fi technologies may raise ethical concerns or have unintended consequences. It is important for scientists and researchers to carefully consider the implications of new technologies before bringing them to life.