Is the IPSP at University of Leipzig Right for a Future in Theoretical HEP?

• Schools
  • Thread starter sid0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Sid is applying to the International Physics Study Program at the University of Leipzig and is concerned about the quality of the program and the university's rankings. He has spoken to a few people who have attended the program and found it to be difficult. He also read that there is a lot of maths in the first two years and that the responsibility for one's studies is entirely up to the student.
Tyler Romans said:
Hi everyone

I've been looking into applying for the IPSP program for around 9 months now (I missed the deadline last year) and can't believe I just now found this. Just reading the comments on this forum has been more help to me than everything I've searched through in the past few months. I still have a few questions though if anyone would be kind enough to help.

1. I'm coming from the U.S. where I have studied all my life. From my understanding, I don't need to include any proof of English competency documents, because it is my primary language. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. I know I need a certified photocopy of my high school transcript and diploma, as well as my college transcript and degrees. What exactly constitutes a certified photocopy? Here is what I'm picturing: I bring my degrees (the originals) to the university from which I graduated, where they have some kind of licensed employee take a photocopy of them and put a stamp on the photocopy basically saying "this is real". I then scan the new photocopies of my degrees and send them digitally to uni-assist (along with the certified photocopy of my transcript), as well as sending the actual hard copies I just received through the post to uni-assist. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks so much in advance!
Maybe getting an Apostille for your transcripts?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone from India applying?

Can someone tell about part time job scenario for international students. Is it possible to get some in English. Is getting ra/ta difficult?

Hello everyone,

This year I'm planning to apply for the bachelor program of IPSP. Since my high school is not qualified by DAAD, I have to complete at least one year in any other university and apply through uni-assist. I'm already in my second undergraduate year of Mechanical Engineering and planning to apply soon. So I have some questions about the application process:

0) Will it be hard to get into IPSP from Mechanical Engineering program?

1) How do you think, why does uni-assist ask for university grades? Why?

2) Does Leipzig university care about your university grades? Even though, on the website of IPSP, they are asking only high school grades.

3) What are the main criteria to get into Leipzig university?

4) What could increase the chance of being approved?

5) I've heard that Leipzig is a quite conservative and racist place. To what extent, it's true and not? Does it affect university life?

6) What could you recommend about application and enrollment?
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide :3

Re 5) You are, in modern times, just -about anywhere in the West, less likely to be discriminated against than anywhere else. If you do bring that attitude it will not help you, even with MOOM behind you. Do try outside of the West, to openly disagree with the local government and religion and see how well that goes for you. Good luck with that.

Likes amelune
amelune said:
5) I've heard that Leipzig is a quite conservative and racist place. To what extent, it's true and not? Does it affect university life?
It is sadly true that there are currently nationalistic views on the rise, especially in former east European countries, including Saxony. But also in Italy and from what I see on the news, in the US, too. Being openly jewish, gay, left or having a dark skin color can be dangerous in some areas. It is a shame, and hopefully changes again soon, but there are "human beings" in this world you don't want to meet.

Likes amelune
fresh_42 said:
It is sadly true that there are currently nationalistic views on the rise, especially in former east European countries, including Saxony. But also in Italy and from what I see on the news, in the US, too. Being openly jewish, gay, left or having a dark skin color can be dangerous in some areas. It is a shame, and hopefully changes again soon, but there are "human beings" in this world you don't want to meet.
EDIT Only that it is seemingly acceptable to condemn this when it happens in the West, yet tiptoe around it when something similar or worse happens anywhere else. Believe me, I am (slightly) left of center and I am tired at the double standards I perceive.

WWGD said:
EDIT Only that it is seemingly acceptable to condemn this when it happens in the West, yet tiptoe around it when something similar or worse happens anywhere else. Believe me, I am (slightly) left of center and I am tired at the double standards I perceive.
Right, but one evil doesn't justify another. All of the above is even worse in some Arabian countries, but that doesn't make it better in Leipzig. And the pictures from people being beaten in the US for being trans, or gay, openly offended for being Latin which arrive me weekly don't become less hurtful only because being gay in Russia is worse.

Does the uni take English as subject for English proficiency requirement. I have been studying English as a subject for whole high school in India.

fresh_42 said:
Right, but one evil doesn't justify another. All of the above is even worse in some Arabian countries, but that doesn't make it better in Leipzig. And the pictures from people being beaten in the US for being trans, or gay, openly offended for being Latin which arrive me weekly don't become less hurtful only because being gay in Russia is worse.
Weekly? What's your source?

Hello everyone! What is the minimum GPA required for the bachelor degree of IPSP? I need to know, both, university and high school's GPA? Thanks in advance!

amelune said:
Hello everyone,

This year I'm planning to apply for the bachelor program of IPSP. Since my high school is not qualified by DAAD, I have to complete at least one year in any other university and apply through uni-assist. I'm already in my second undergraduate year of Mechanical Engineering and planning to apply soon. So I have some questions about the application process:

2) Does Leipzig university care about your university grades? Even though, on the website of IPSP, they are asking only high school grades.

Hi, I'm currently in IPSP 3rd semester
0.- you shouldn't have any problem applying with that
1.- Your university info is needed to determine whether you have an abitur equivalent so I think they want your grades to know what courses you had, but the actual grade doesn't matter. I did not apply this way so I could be wrong.
3.- It's quite easy to get in, you just need all the documents. They don't really look at the grades.
5.- While it is true that conservative ideas are more prevalent in east germany and sachsen, Leipzig is an exception, the worst that can happen is getting some ugly stares and that people won't be as willing to help you if you don't try to speak german. It's a bit annoying at first since there's a lot of paperwork and some guidance could help but that's it.
6.- Try to apply as soon as possible and gather all your documents in advance, there's less applications in the first months starting from April so you'll get your answer faster, if you apply from July onwards the whole process takes about two months which is a bit tight in my opinion.
Good luck to you all :)

amelune said:
Hello everyone,

Hi, I'm currently in IPSP 3rd semester
0.- you shouldn't have any problem applying with that
1.- Your university info is needed to determine whether you have an abitur equivalent so I think they want your grades to know what courses you had, but the actual grade doesn't matter. I did not apply this way so I could be wrong.
3.- It's quite easy to get in, you just need all the documents. They don't really look at the grades.
5.- While it is true that conservative ideas are more prevalent in east germany and sachsen, Leipzig is an exception, the worst that can happen is getting some ugly stares and that people won't be as willing to help you if you don't try to speak german. It's a bit annoying at first since there's a lot of paperwork and some guidance could help but that's it.
6.- Try to apply as soon as possible and gather all your documents in advance, there's less applications in the first months starting from April so you'll get your answer faster, if you apply from July onwards the whole process takes about two months which is a bit tight in my opinion.
Good luck to you all
Suv8 said:
Nice to meet you! how did you find the accommodation?
The easiest is applying to a Studentenwohnheim.
As I mentioned before apply as soon as possible through uni assist so that you can apply for a room with time, since that takes another two weeks

Likes amelune
akskumar said:
Ya i am thinking of applying next year
Where are you from?
I am from India recently relocated from uk. I going to apply for 2020 akskumar. Where r u from.?

nikhil_naruto said:
I am from India recently relocated from uk. I going to apply for 2020 akskumar. Where r u from.?
India
Messed up jee so looking other options😅

akskumar said:
India
Messed up jee so looking other options😅
Messed up how

nikhil_naruto said:
Messed up how
90 percentile difficult to clear advanced

Hello everybody!
Is there anyone who is planning to apply to the program this year? What are you thinking to do? Due to the current situation with COVID-19 and economical crisis...
Maybe, you have news about the application from Leipzig University or Uni-Assist? Because I didn't find anything so far...

amelune said:
Hello everybody!
Is there anyone who is planning to apply to the program this year? What are you thinking to do? Due to the current situation with COVID-19 and economical crisis...
Maybe, you have news about the application from Leipzig University or Uni-Assist? Because I didn't find anything so far...
I am, for the winter semester (starts October, yeah?). I haven't seen any updates from uni-assist yet. I get my high school diploma around July, so I haven't applied yet.

For those of us who are applying to IPSP Physics, I assume that you all are also preparing to actually do Physics over there. Do ya'll want to create a discord server where we can form study groups and chill? I'm pretty sure that the applications for IPSP at Leipzig will begin next month so we can just chill out in discord now :D

Likes Nixnyete
AbhijeetVats said:
For those of us who are applying to IPSP Physics, I assume that you all are also preparing to actually do Physics over there. Do ya'll want to create a discord server where we can form study groups and chill? I'm pretty sure that the applications for IPSP at Leipzig will begin next month so we can just chill out in discord now :D
Yes! sounds like a great idea, would like to get to know you all.

https://discord.gg/xYXKPTX

There you go! There's the link to the discord chat. Keep in mind that anyone who's applying to Leipzig or is studying Physics & Math in Leipzig is absolutely welcome to join. We can form study groups in that discord server, since we might very well be classmates in the coming months.

Hello! Does anybody know about funding/job opportunities? Is it even possible to find a part time job as an international not knowing german?

My high school diploma is not equivalent to german Abitur. ( I am from Bangladesh)
So I have to complete 2 successful semesters at a recognized university in my country. I will apply for the course next year.
Do you guys know how can I apply through Uni-assist with aforesaid issues?
And which papers and documents have to be submitted online and sent to them by post?

Hello,
In the international physics undergraduate program, which books would you recommend to study before starting the 1st semester?

Hi everyone! I’m thinking about aplying to the bachelor program of the IPSP, but i am worried that my math and physics level aren’t good enough and that i will fail. I study very hard and graduated high school with honors BUT my school’s math level were very low. We didnt even have Calculus, I had to learn that by myself. So i was wondering, to what level of physics / math skills do I have to get to not be completely lost when I start the program? Like, what do you recommend me to learn? I want to study and prepare A LOT before I apply. Thank you so much!

Ana_cisternas said:
Hi everyone! I’m thinking about aplying to the bachelor program of the IPSP, but i am worried that my math and physics level aren’t good enough and that i will fail. I study very hard and graduated high school with honors BUT my school’s math level were very low. We didnt even have Calculus, I had to learn that by myself. So i was wondering, to what level of physics / math skills do I have to get to not be completely lost when I start the program? Like, what do you recommend me to learn? I want to study and prepare A LOT before I apply. Thank you so much!
It's likely that the programme will go over all the Calculus you need in the first two years. The best book I have found for self studying the maths needed for Physics is Mary L. Boas' book linked below. Just work through it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mat...es&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Ahmed Sameh said:
Hello Y'all
I got accepted in the program, if anyone has any questions, please fire away!
I want to apply can you guide me through it

Alan Sammarone said:
I got the letter of admission! : )
If anyone wants to get in touch, just let me know. I'll be arriving in Leipzig probably on September 27, but I'll be in Germany since the 24th.
Hello can you tell me please what is application form that you have to upload on uniassist as i login there and select my course and university but didnt have any application form to upload so where do i get that application form or is it receive me after fees payment

Ahmed Sameh said:
Hello Y'all
I got accepted in the program, if anyone has any questions, please fire away!
Is studenkolleg is required as i completed 12 year in India and i want to apply to English taught programs

Hey everyone
I finally got my acceptance for the winter semester 🤣 Do you know if the winter semester will be online or face-to-face?

begumm said:
Hey everyone
I finally got my acceptance for the winter semester 🤣 Do you know if the winter semester will be online or face-to-face?
Hi :) I got my acceptance letter today. I was also wondering if we are supposed to be present on campus, since I need to apply for visa,

Message the University and ask!

Anyone who is going to apply this year in October?

Likes rohandebsarkar