I Feel Ill-Prepared for University Physics

In summary, the individual has taken an honors physics course in high school but feels unprepared for university physics. They have taken Calculus 1 and 2 at community college and are planning to major in electrical engineering. They are considering self-studying either algebra-based or calculus-based physics and wonder if 3-4 months will be enough to cover Electricity and Magnetism, Thermodynamics/Waves/Optics, and Modern Physics. Additionally, they have been advised to look into Quantum physics as it relates to their major. The individual is currently in 12th grade and has a strong mathematics background.
xxsteelxx
Heres my situation: I have taken an honors physics course at high school using an algebra/trig book (college physics). However we only covered Mechanics in the course, so I don't feel ready for university physics. I'm going to be an electrical engineering major, therefore, physics is crucial for my major. I have taken Calculus 1 and 2 at community college and I have purchased a calculus-based physics textbook. Should I self-study algebra-based physics or calculus-based physics? And will about 3-4 months be enough to complete Electricity and Magnetism, Thermodynamics/Waves/Optics, and Modern Physics?
Someone has mentioned that after self-studying I should take a look at Quantum physics (as it is related to how semi-conductors work). What do you guys think?

Note: I'm currently a 12 grader in high school.

Thanks in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
xxsteelxx said:
Heres my situation: I have taken an honors physics course at high school using an algebra/trig book (college physics). However we only covered Mechanics in the course, so I don't feel ready for university physics. I'm going to be an electrical engineering major, therefore, physics is crucial for my major. I have taken Calculus 1 and 2 at community college and I have purchased a calculus-based physics textbook. Should I self-study algebra-based physics or calculus-based physics? And will about 3-4 months be enough to complete Electricity and Magnetism, Thermodynamics/Waves/Optics, and Modern Physics?
Someone has mentioned that after self-studying I should take a look at Quantum physics (as it is related to how semi-conductors work). What do you guys think?

Note: I'm currently a 12 grader in high school.

Thanks in advance! :)

You're plenty-well prepared. "University Physics" isn't just one big course that everybody takes. You'll start off with General Physics 1, which is just more mechanics. The second semester will be General Physics 2, which is basically intro to E&M.

At least, that's how it works at most schools I know of. Beyond that, it depends on the specific requirements of your major. But what you call "University Physics" starts off with the assumption that the people in the class have no experience with physics at all and a fairly basic understanding of calculus.

Looks like you got a good mathematics foothold. If you learned the rest at high school you wouldn't need to go to uni would you? =) As far as self study goes, take a look at your curriculum, get hold of past exam papers/coursework. See what you can and can't do, base your self study around that.

When I did my first units (part time), we covered electrodynamics, thermodynamics, waves, optics, basic quantum theories and classical mechanics in about 6 months. This is an undergraduate level study outside full time work, so I assume this time schedule could apply to you as self study outside of your degree. I study about 15 hours a week, so you could easily shorten that 6 months. Luckily I also got a strong foothold in maths at high school.

Related to I Feel Ill-Prepared for University Physics

1. What makes university physics so challenging?

University physics is challenging because it requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and critical thinking skills. It also covers a wide range of topics, from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics, making it a complex subject to master.

2. How can I prepare for university physics?

To prepare for university physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic math and science concepts. It is also helpful to review high school physics materials and practice solving problems. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the format of university exams and studying regularly can also help you prepare.

3. What resources are available to help me with university physics?

Many universities offer tutoring services or study groups for students struggling with physics. There are also numerous online resources, such as practice problems, video lectures, and interactive simulations, that can aid in understanding difficult concepts. Your professor and teaching assistants are also valuable resources that you should utilize.

4. What study strategies can I use to improve my understanding of university physics?

Some effective study strategies for university physics include practicing problems regularly, breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, and seeking help when needed. It is also important to actively engage with the material, whether through discussions with peers or teaching the material to someone else.

5. What can I do if I am struggling with university physics?

If you are struggling with university physics, do not hesitate to seek help from your professor, teaching assistants, or peers. You can also join study groups or utilize online resources to supplement your understanding. It is important to not get discouraged and to continue practicing and seeking help until you feel confident in your understanding of the material.