How do you like your coffee?

• Thread starter Parkour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary: American.In summary, coffee lovers apparently have many preferences. Some prefer black coffee while others prefer espresso. Some like their coffee with sugar and others like it without. Some like their coffee strong and others like it weak. Some like it with cream while others like it without. Some like Turkish coffee and others like Italian coffee. There is apparently no one right way to enjoy coffee.
Rive said:
Better prepare for symptoms 😨
It's not fundamentally different than what you get through a french press.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Ya think? :wink:

(My life revolves around having ice for drinks. The ice is more important than the drink.)
This reminded me of

“True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know.”

''I'll bet you could walk from the Ural Mountains to the beach at Biarritz and not find one rock-hard, crystal-clear, fist-sized American ice cube”

O'Rourke, P.J.

Likes DaveC426913
Now I got a new Mr. Coffee.
There's a little bit of Jolting Joe in every cup of Mr. Coffee made Joe!

Likes Klystron, Charles Link and DennisN
Jarvis323 said:
Just put the grounds in a sauce pan, let settle, and then poor off the top.

AKA. . . Cowboy Coffee. . :wink:

Likes Keith_McClary and Jarvis323
BillTre said:
Oh-oh.
Situation critical; coffee maker broke this morning!

BillTre said:
Now I got a new Mr. Coffee.

The coffee must flow.

In this time, the most precious substance in the universe is the coffee bean.
The caffeine extends working time. The caffeine stimulates the mind.

The caffeine is vital to work.
The coffee companies grind the brown coffeebeans,
which give the consumers the ability to brew the beans into coffee.

Oh, yes. I forgot to tell you.
The coffee beans exist on only one planet in the entire universe.

An inhabited, wet planet with vast oceans.
The planet is Tellus, also known as Earth.

The coffee must flow.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, Jarvis323 and 4 others
We drink a lot of latte caramel and latte macchiato. Any latte will do.

Likes osilmag and Charles Link
brewed cold with a dash of stevia :)

Likes Charles Link
DaveC426913 said:
Iced.

I almost universally eschew hot liquids. And, yes, that includes soup.

The purpose of a liquid is to cool. A hot drink is an oxymoron.

Already broke my rule. Soup for dinner tonight.

In my defense, I was desperate. I looked in the fridge for food but all I found were ingredients.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, pinball1970, DennisN and 2 others
DennisN said:
80% medium strong coffee, 20% milk and a little sugar is my preference.
It is my understanding that here in Sweden we are accustomed to quite strong coffee.
When I have visited other countries I have often found the coffee to be a bit weak for my taste :smile:.
Do you hang out in Fika coffee shops?

Always double double, or two cream two sugar for those who don't speak Canuck. Usually Timmies but McDonald's is good too.

For home brewing, usually just some Folgers or whatever is on sale.

Likes Charles Link
Non-existent. More of a tea person :D

Likes ergospherical
WWGD said:
Do you hang out in Fika coffee shops?
Not really. But sometimes I drink coffee in restaurants after dinner.

Likes WWGD
DennisN said:
Not really. But sometimes I drink coffee in restaurants after dinner.
Just wondering if it was a thing in Sweden, hanging out at Fika

Likes DennisN
Nescafe fine blend instant coffee for me, two spoons of that and sugar, hot water and yellow top milk. I drink that in about one minute, each morning.

Likes DennisN
pinball1970 said:
You have never been to Turkey?

Me neither but I happened upon some Turkish colleagues of a colleague at a work event and we had Turkish coffee over Lunch.

It was black, viscous, quite gritty and unpleasant overall but the after effects were quite striking.

I walked round the rest of the Exhibition a little spaced out checking my pulse every 5 minutes.

I had a similar effect from Italian coffee first time I had it, tiny little cup with a big hit- much prettier overall though. Not as gritty.
I like it too. And it's pretty similar to the Greek one. Since the two are mutual "enemies", whenever I speak with a Turk, I tell them I prefer the Greek type, and I tell Greeks I prefer the Turkish type. Just to see their nostrils flaring.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, pinball1970 and DennisN
WWGD said:
Since the two are mutual "enemies", whenever I speak with a Turk, I tell them I prefer the Greek type, and I tell Greeks I prefer the Turkish type. Just to se4 their nostrils flaring.
If you want even more heat, tell Greeks that you like coffee from the Turkish island Cyprus, and Turks that you like coffee from the Greek island Cyprus. But be sure to put a helmet on before, and take cover in the trench. :smile:

Likes WWGD
One particularly worrying trend that I've noticed is that asking for an Americano at an average high-street coffee shop will likely prompt the question "with or without milk?"... well without, thanks, because otherwise it would be a latté... :oldbiggrin:

Likes pinball1970
ergospherical said:
One particularly worrying trend that I've noticed is that asking for an Americano at an average high-street coffee shop will likely prompt the question "with or without milk?"... well without, thanks, because otherwise it would be a latté... :oldbiggrin:

Do you think this is one of those people trying to be healthy but end up being dumb things? They see an Americano has less calories than a latte (but they actually want a latte), so they add milk which I guess magically has no calories.

Probably, yeah. Pretty much the only thing the americano has going for it is that it's essentially calorie-less (I definitely wouldn't order it otherwise ;) ). It's pretty staggering how quickly calories can add up from toppings and condiments... if you're drinking three, four or more coffees a day, adding milk & sugar (OoM ~100 kcal each?) is going to get nasty very fast :)

ergospherical said:
Probably, yeah. Pretty much the only thing the americano has going for it is that it's essentially calorie-less (I definitely wouldn't order it otherwise ;) ). It's pretty staggering how quickly calories can add up from toppings and condiments... if you're drinking three, four or more coffees a day, adding milk & sugar (OoM ~100 kcal each?) is going to get nasty very fast :)
I use to drink 6-8 cups of coffee a day back in High School days (2003-2004). My then friend basically called them 'sugar water'.

I drink 4-5 cups of coffee on a daily basis and most of the time i use this instant coffee. It's saved my time and also easy to make coffee.

Likes Charles Link
ergospherical said:
I think sometimes in uk/eu americano is taken to mean more water than an expresso but then still a bit of milk.

My preference is still for proper italian espresso, 50/50 with warm milk. but here I'm also drinking a bit of vietnamese drip made coffee. If you buy it in a cafe/bar it usually comes wth ice and very very sweet (made with condensed milk). Skimmed/semi-skimmed milk is hard to come by here so it's either condensed or full fat or, for a treat, coconut.

ergospherical said:
I have noticed that nobody these days seems to know what a "white coffee" is; you have to ask for "an Americano with milk". (Which is not a latte; apart from anything else, a latte is generally more expensive, while they don't charge you for milk with the Americano.)

Mr. Coffee auto drip...set for 8 cups. 1 tbsp real maple syrup...2 tbsp 1/2 and 1/2. 1.5 cups and 10-100.

Likes Charles Link
mjc123 said:
I have noticed that nobody these days seems to know what a "white coffee" is; you have to ask for "an Americano with milk". (Which is not a latte; apart from anything else, a latte is generally more expensive, while they don't charge you for milk with the Americano.)
Is it different from just adding milk a regular coffee and adding milk from the coffee bar?

How about the polar bear version of this thread: people who drink iced coffee in sub-30 F temperatures? I used to drink iced Pepsi and then realized that "coincidentally", I was freezing my #$%^ off.

WWGD said:
How about the polar bear version of this thread: people who drink iced coffee in sub-30 F temperatures? I used to drink iced Pepsi and then realized that "coincidentally", I was freezing my #$%^ off.
That's me. If it doesn't have ice in it, I won't drink it. Even in the winter.

DaveC426913 said:
That's me. If it doesn't have ice in it, I won't drink it. Even in the winter.
I guess that's also you shivering? That was me too. It took me a while to change the habit.

WWGD said:
I guess that's also you shivering? That was me too. It took me a while to change the habit.
Yes, I changed the habit too. I don't go outside when its sub-30 F temperatures.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, I changed the habit too. I don't go outside when its sub-30 F temperatures.
-30F? What do you live in the NW territories; in Nuuk or something?

WWGD said:
-30F? What do you live in the NW territories; in Nuuk or something?
:-p (I was mirroring your post for humour effect.)

Likes WWGD
DaveC426913 said:
:-p (I was mirroring your post for humour effect.)
People there put food on the fridge to warm it up ;).

@Parkour: "How do you like your coffee?"

Me: "I like it a lot."

My taste in tea and coffee have evolved over time. As a child I would drain the teapot -- a fixture at family dinner -- after the adults poured their cups despite frequent maternal warnings, "Wait, that's brew. Mix it with water.". I still enjoy my tea straight whether hot, lukewarm or chilled.

I like robust dark roast coffees served warm with a touch of nonfat milk. I often blend caffeinated and decaffeinated grounds; 50/50% early morning, decaf by midday; brewed in an automatic drip machine. I also keep containers of caff/decaf freeze dried coffees for the odd single cup.

I had quit drinking coffee in favor of tea after retirement, for convenience and frugality, but resumed drinking coffee on the advice of my cardiologist. Doctor noted several health benefits from fresh brewed coffee with or without caffeine.

Likes hutchphd, Keith_McClary, BillTre and 1 other person
I brew my own coffee daily, espresso from a gaggia classic, using medium roasted beans (fresh weekly), shade grown arabica, sourced from nicaragua, ground by hand with a precision burr grinder, weighed on a scale to yield precisely 16 grams of beans per double shot basket, tamped level, then brewed about 20 seconds. Does this seem obsessive, or does someone identify? Recall Erdos's definition of a mathematician (a machine for turning coffee into theorems). The only challenge to this is that once you get it to this level, everyone else wants you to make coffee for them also, but I view this as a compliment. salut!

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, chemisttree, Klystron and 2 others
I had a cup of decaf yesterday. "Decaf" is a nice word for almost homeopathic coffee.

It smells like coffee, tastes a bit like coffee, but feels like tea, at least to me. :smile:

• Sad
Likes hutchphd, collinsmark, WWGD and 1 other person