How do you like your coffee?

• Thread starter Parkour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary: American.In summary, coffee lovers apparently have many preferences. Some prefer black coffee while others prefer espresso. Some like their coffee with sugar and others like it without. Some like their coffee strong and others like it weak. Some like it with cream while others like it without. Some like Turkish coffee and others like Italian coffee. There is apparently no one right way to enjoy coffee.
How do I like my coffee. I like my coffee crisp.

Might have to be Canadian of a certain age to be familiar with these commercials, as I am not sure if this available in the US. I sometimes get this from the vending machines at work to have with my Earl Grey tea.

Likes hmmm27 and Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
It was black, viscous, quite gritty and unpleasant overall but the after effects were quite striking.

I walked round the rest of the Exhibition a little spaced out checking my pulse every 5 minutes.
:biggrin:
I sometimes overdo my own coffee, and then the effects are definitely felt.
I'm standing there in front of the coffeemaker thinking to myself "Hey, I feel quite tired, let's make some strong coffee this time". I drink the coffee and turn into a nervous wreck, thinking "I'm not going to do that mistake again". But sometimes I do.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Rive and Charles Link
DennisN said:
:biggrin:
I sometimes overdo my own coffee, and then the effects are definitely felt.
I'm standing there in front of the coffeemaker thinking to myself "Hey, I feel quite tired, let's make some strong coffee this time". I drink the coffee and turn into a nervous wreck, thinking "I'm not going to do that mistake again". But sometimes I do.
One must learn to drink or use coffee properly or carefully. Using it right just let's you not feel tired. Overdoing it is what you want to learn to avoid.

Something important: How fast to drink the coffee

Likes Charles Link and DennisN
symbolipoint said:
One must learn to drink or use coffee properly or carefully. Using it right just let's you not feel tired. Overdoing it is what you want to learn to avoid.

Something important: How fast to drink the coffee
Let's face it, coffee is a drug. We don't tend to talk in these terms but that is what it is.
I drink a lot but stop after lunch as a rule.
Caffeine is ok for the liver apparently so it ticks a couple of boxes for me.

Likes DennisN
pinball1970 said:
Let's face it, coffee is a drug. We don't tend to talk in these terms but that is what it is.
I agree. And coffee isn't something we really need, but many of us tend to like it. It's a stimulant "drug".

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Let's face it, coffee is a drug.

And for that matter so is sugar.

gleem said:
gleem said:
I don't think so. Caffeine is a stimulant. @jim mcnamara @BillTre what is your view?

pinball1970 said:
I don't think so. Caffeine is a stimulant. @jim mcnamara @BillTre what is your view?
For sure caffeine is a stimulant.
Sugar acts as a stimulant with children's behavior at least. But if it would be classified as a drug pharmacologically, I don't know.
Probably depends on how you define drug.

I have never met a drug I didn't like. Well that's not quite true but irrelevant... I can use them or not. I ceased tobacco smoking many years ago.
But coffee makes life so much better. I am very much enamored and doubtless addicted. As near as I can tell, it has no down side. So don't get between me and my coffee.

• Haha
Likes Klystron, Charles Link and DennisN
Sugar may not be a drug per se but it does induce certain drug-like effects like the increase in dopamine, craving and binging.British Journal of Sports Medicine: Sugar addiction: is it real? A narrative review

Abstract​

In animal studies, sugar has been found to produce more symptoms than is required to be considered an addictive substance. Animal data has shown significant overlap between the consumption of added sugars and drug-like effects, including bingeing, craving, tolerance, withdrawal, cross-sensitisation, cross-tolerance, cross-dependence, reward and opioid effects. Sugar addiction seems to be dependence to the natural endogenous opioids that get released upon sugar intake. In both animals and humans, the evidence in the literature shows substantial parallels and overlap between drugs of abuse and sugar, from the standpoint of brain neurochemistry as well as behaviour.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, jim mcnamara, DennisN and 1 other person
Iced.

I almost universally eschew hot liquids. And, yes, that includes soup.

The purpose of a liquid is to cool. A hot drink is an oxymoron.

Table sugar, sucrose, is a glucose-fructose dimer. Humans have extensive biochemistry to support glucose metabolism. Not so, for fructose. Large amounts of dietary sucrose are a problem for the liver, fructose gets metabolized into fat and stays. The acronym NAFLD stands for Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Sucrose consumption is one of the primary drivers for this disease. It is a hallmark for inflammatory associated conditions - metabolic syndrome, type II diabetes. This is why you may see people who think high fructose corn syrup in beveragescontributes to these issues.

This is probably what your phsysican is telling you about when s/he mentions "high liver numbers"

See for NAFLD : https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/liver-disease/nafld-nash

There are also some preliminary studies of the association of sucrose over-consumption and dementias.
Example:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33569566/

Why? Simple answer is humans need Vitamin C. Sweet fruit usually has Vitamin C. So humans evolved a sweet tooth to cope with procuring a very transient and valuable resource in the wild. McDonalds, sugar drink manufacturers et al make sure it is no longer a transient resource.

Today, the average American consumes almost 152 pounds of sugar in one year. This is equal to 3 pounds (or 6 cups) of sugar consumed in one week...
https://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/nhp/documents/sugar.pdf

• Informative
Likes Klystron, pinball1970, DennisN and 2 others
pinball1970 said:
I drink a lot but stop after lunch as a rule.
Caffeine is ok for the liver apparently so it ticks a couple of boxes for me.
Yes. That was my point, and your subpoint is excellent.

BillTre said:
For sure caffeine is a stimulant.
Sugar acts as a stimulant with children's behavior at least. But if it would be classified as a drug pharmacologically, I don't know.
Probably depends on how you define drug.
Some of us understand what you mean.

jim mcnamara said:
Not so, for fructose. Large amounts of dietary sucrose are a problem for the liver, fructose gets metabolized into fat and stays.
Like I said earlier, truly good coffee has its own sweetness, or at least a hint of sweetness and therefore needs no additional sugar.

Likes Charles Link
@symbolipoint - most consumed sugar is in processed foods, drinks, sweets, but not much in coffee. And yes we are talking about coffee, you are correct, but my post above sort of expanded the range of consideration since someone else went on a sugar tangent.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3751311/
calories as "added sugar" are in most of these these prepared foods (pretty much minus meat items):
Calories –The mean total calorie intake by persons two years and older in the U.S. was 2,176 kcal/day. Table 1 shows the total calorie contributions from the top ten food sources of calorie intake: ‘cake, cookies, quick bread, pastry, and pie‘ (7.2%) followed by ‘yeast breads and rolls’ (7.1%), ‘soft drinks’ (5.4%),‘beef’ (4.7%),‘crackers, popcorn, pretzels, chips’ (4.7%), ‘cheese’ (4.6%), ‘milk’ (4.5%), ‘candy, sugars, sugary foods’ (4.5%), ‘poultry’ (4.3%), and ‘alcoholic beverages’ (3.7%).

• Informative
Likes DennisN, BillTre and pinball1970
BillTre said:
I used to use cream or milk in my coffee.
Now I just take it black with a little bit salt (shaken, not ground).
Bitter coffee is not one of my favorites.

The salt is a trick I learned from some sailors on a ship I used to work on.
These on the bridge would make a jug of coffee at the beginning of a 4 hour watch and it would be on the heater for a long time. A bit of salt reduces the bitterness.
Not sure of the mechanism, but it may involve the bitterness taste receptor, rather than chemistry in the coffee itself.
Interesting, I have never heard about this before. I am going to try it. :smile:

Edit: If I'm out of milk at home, I put a bit of ice cream in my coffee instead. I'm almost never out of ice cream. It was something I started doing during the Covid home isolation. I'd say it tastes like something in between milk and cream.

Likes Charles Link and BillTre
DennisN said:
Interesting, I have never heard about this before. I am going to try it. :smile:

Edit: If I'm out of milk at home, I put a bit of ice cream in my coffee instead. I'm almost never out of ice cream. It was something I started doing during the Covid home isolation. I'd say it tastes like something in between milk and cream.
I would sometimes, but many many years ago, put frosting, like from a cake, into my coffee as a creamer. It was fine, except that it would not completely disperse, but it did enough for the purpose.

Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
I agree. [...] It's a stimulant "drug".
This quote of mine should prove to all readers of this thread that I am aware of the issue.
And since I'm aware of the issue, this means I'm not a coffee addict.
Do you all hear me?

I am not a coffee addict!

I AM NOT A COFFEE ADDICT!

Eh, sorry, I lost my temper a bit there.
I'm probably just a bit irritated.
Time to make some more coffee. :smile:

No Coffee No Workee.jpg

• Haha
Likes Haborix
"I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup." Eddie Izzard.

I don't like coffee, but I could do with a cup of tea. Milk and two sugars. And some biscuits if it isn't too much trouble. Thanks @Parkour.

gleem said:
I have been drinking coffee since first grade. At that time with milk and sugar. After grad school, I ditched the cream.

For breakfast black with just enough sugar to begin to taste the sweetness. After dinner often just black especially with dessert.Best little expresso-style, stove-top coffee maker but be sure you use decent coffee.

View attachment 290512
I have a little electric version of that. I buy illy coffee when i can and make it 50:50 espresso and warm milk. No sugar.

Parkour said:
How do you like your coffee?
Like this:
1634472716506.png

• Love
  • Haha
Likes hmmm27, Bystander and DennisN
pinball1970 said:
You have never been to Turkey?

Me neither but I happened upon some Turkish colleagues of a colleague at a work event and we had Turkish coffee over Lunch.

It was black, viscous, quite gritty and unpleasant overall but the after effects were quite striking.

I walked round the rest of the Exhibition a little spaced out checking my pulse every 5 minutes.

I had a similar effect from Italian coffee first time I had it, tiny little cup with a big hit- much prettier overall though. Not as gritty.
I started getting dizzy spells on a trip to Turkey. Not head spinning stuff, more like a sensation of swaying.
When I got home I went to see my GP. She tested my blood pressure, it was very average but mine is usually pretty low and she said it was the turkish coffee and spicy, salty food that had done it to me.

• Informative
Likes DennisN
rsk said:
I started getting dizzy spells on a trip to Turkey. Not head spinning stuff, more like a sensation of swaying.
When I got home I went to see my GP. She tested my blood pressure, it was very average but mine is usually pretty low and she said it was the turkish coffee and spicy, salty food that had done it to me.
Hmm, that is quite interesting. I may have had the same experience.
I have cut down on my coffee consumption considerably, but I was drinking quite a lot of coffee some years ago. And I remember sometimes experiencing "sensations of swaying". I also remember my GP saying I had low blood pressure. Maybe there was a connection?

Edit: After a bit of googling, it seems coffee raises blood pressure. So maybe my low blood pressure was due to something else.

Likes rsk
DennisN said:
Hmm, that is quite interesting. I may have had the same experience.
I have cut down on my coffee consumption considerably, but I was drinking quite a lot of coffee some years ago. And I remember sometimes experiencing "sensations of swaying". I also remember my GP saying I had low blood pressure. Maybe there was a connection?

Edit: After a bit of googling, it seems coffee raises blood pressure. So maybe my low blood pressure was due to something else.
Yes, they've always told me my low blood pressure was a good thing and I think on this occasion she was saying that I'd managed to increase my blood pressure to something that wasn't usual for me, hence the dizziness. I wasn't completely convinced but couldn't think of any other explanation and it's never happened since.

Likes DennisN
onatirec said:
I much prefer light-roast as the flavor is far superior - and grinding beans at home just before use.
symbolipoint said:
That's the way to do it! Light roast means more flavor and better flavor.
So you say. As I said before, I much prefer a dark roast, and consider light roasts to lack flavor. I also don't bother with grinding the beans at home, as our grinder is very noisy, and doesn't grind the beans as fine as I would like.
"Different strokes for different folks."

DaveC426913 said:
The purpose of a liquid is to cool.
Sounds like a personal definition not shared by many folks around the world. The purpose of a liquid, if there is such a thing, is to be fluid, whether it's hot or cold. People who are hypothermic are given hot liquids to assist in warming the core of the body.

Likes pinball1970
Mark44 said:
Sounds like a personal definition
Ya think? :wink:

(My life revolves around having ice for drinks. The ice is more important than the drink.)

Last edited:
Likes Bystander
Mark44 said:
I much prefer a dark roast, and consider light roasts to lack flavor.
Me too. And I'll take it black.

Oh-oh.
Situation critical; coffee maker broke this morning!

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes collinsmark and DennisN
Mark44 said:
I much prefer a dark roast, and consider light roasts to lack flavor.
Most coffees bought in store (already roasted) and the beverage bought at restaurants are most often not light-roasted, and they taste either like charcoal, or burned, or like mud. I mainly believe that the high quality, green unroasted (gourmet?) beans that you can buy through some specialty sources may be why the coffees which one roasted himself can have much better flavor.

I tried roasting some coffees to medium, and to dark roast levels. I found when I make a dark roasting, either the flavor decreases too much, or the coffee tastes burned.

BillTre said:
Oh-oh.
Just put the grounds in a sauce pan, let settle, and then poor off the top.

Likes OCR and Charles Link
symbolipoint said:
... the coffee tastes burned
This is my experience with dark roasts. I used to think that what I was tasting was a stronger, more full-bodied "coffee" flavor with darker roasts, but as my palate matured I realized it was actually just a burnt taste which masks all of the complex undertones.

Nowadays I enjoy those mythical nuances shining through lighter-roasts that I long assumed were just over-blown marketing talk: spicy, earthy, floral, fruity, etc, etc.

Likes vela, Keith_McClary, symbolipoint and 1 other person
Jarvis323 said:
Just put the grounds in a sauce pan, let settle, and then poor off the top.
Better prepare for symptoms 😨
BillTre said:
I had to realize, that somewhere deep I'm actually a prepper.
By a quick inventory, we have a spare moka pot, an unused espresso maker and - well, a bottle of instant coffee too, which we did not open for yearso0)

We have some camping alternatives in use right now, but I will be shopping for a new machine later today.

Will probably be looking for the reincarnation of Joe DiMaggio, Mr. Coffee.
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 11.08.32 AM.png

But maybe I'll find something else.

Likes Charles Link
BillTre said:
Oh-oh.
:oldeek::oldcry: