How Do You Calculate Forces and Acceleration in a Two-Block Pulley System?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving blocks with a coefficient of kinetic friction and a diagram provided. The task is to draw a free body diagram for each block, determine the acceleration and tension, and identify any missing forces. The conversation also addresses the need to include all forces in the FBD, including the friction force exerted by the blocks on each other. To find the tension, Newton's 2nd law is applied to each block and the equations are solved together.
I'm having difficulty with this question

In the diagram, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the 2.00 kg and the 3.00 kg blocks is 0.300. The horizontal surface and the pulleys are frictionless, and the masses are released from rest.
(a) Draw a free body diagram of each block.
(b) Determine the acceleration of each block.
(c) Find the tension in the strings.

I've also been given a diagram:
http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b505/homework2012/q5_zpsed497c95.jpg

and here's my FBD: http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b505/homework2012/q5_zps75004cd9.jpg

- Am i missing any forces on my FBD Diagram? If yes which ones?
- For part b what would forces would Fnet be equal to, to find the acceleration?
I though it would be Fnet = Fg3 + Ff
Where Fg3 is the 10kg ball
- How many force of friction is acting on the system? Is it just 1 between the 2kg and 3kg blocks? If not one, where are the other Ff?

Physics news on Phys.org
33639 said:
- Am i missing any forces on my FBD Diagram? If yes which ones?
You forgot the friction acting on the bottom block.

Doc Al said:
You forgot the friction acting on the bottom block.

Do you also include that in the FBD diagram for the 3kg block? Because i though it was already accounted for by the 2kg block?

What would Fnet now be equal to to find Tension?

33639 said:
Do you also include that in the FBD diagram for the 3kg block?
Of course. You must include all forces acting.
Because i though it was already accounted for by the 2kg block?
Realize that the blocks exert the friction force on each other. Newton's 3rd law.
What would Fnet now be equal to to find Tension?
Apply Newton's 2nd law to each block, then solve those equations together.

Hi there,

I understand that you are having difficulty with this question. I would be happy to provide some guidance and help you understand the concept better.

Firstly, your free body diagrams look correct. You have correctly identified the forces acting on each block - weight (mg), normal force (N), and tension (T). However, there are a few things to consider:

1. In your diagram, you have labeled the weight of the 3kg block as 10kg. This should be corrected to 3kg.

2. The force of friction (Ff) acts in the opposite direction of motion. In this case, the 3kg block is moving to the right, so the force of friction is acting to the left. Therefore, Ff should be labeled in the opposite direction on your diagram.

3. For part (b), you are correct in thinking that the net force (Fnet) is equal to the sum of all the forces acting on the block. In this case, the only forces acting on the block are weight (mg) and friction (Ff). So, the equation would be Fnet = mg - Ff. This will give you the acceleration of the block.

4. There is only one force of friction acting on the system, between the 2kg and 3kg blocks. This is because the surface and the pulleys are frictionless, as stated in the question.

I hope this helps you with your question. If you have any further doubts or questions, please do not hesitate to ask. It is important to fully understand the concept before attempting to solve the problem. Good luck!

Related to How Do You Calculate Forces and Acceleration in a Two-Block Pulley System?

1. What is a dynamic system?

A dynamic system is a system that changes over time and is influenced by various factors. It can be described by mathematical models that take into account the interactions between different components.

2. What are some examples of dynamic systems?

Some examples of dynamic systems include weather patterns, stock market fluctuations, population growth, and chemical reactions. In general, any system that involves changes and interactions can be considered a dynamic system.

3. How do scientists study dynamic systems?

Scientists use mathematical modeling, computer simulations, and experiments to study dynamic systems. They also analyze data and observe patterns to better understand the behavior of these systems.

4. What are the applications of studying dynamic systems?

Studying dynamic systems can help us predict and control complex phenomena in nature, such as predicting the weather or understanding the spread of diseases. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and biology.

5. How can we apply the knowledge of dynamic systems in our daily lives?

Understanding dynamic systems can help us make more informed decisions in our daily lives. For example, understanding how stock market fluctuations work can help us make better investment decisions, and understanding the spread of diseases can help us take necessary precautions to stay healthy.