What are the forces at play in Sally's car rescue scenario?

In summary, Sally uses her knowledge of physics to solve the problem of freeing her car from a snow bank. She ties a rope from her car to a tree 25.0 m away and applies a force of 425 N to the midpoint of the rope, pulling it over a horizontal distance of 1.50 m. By drawing a diagram and analyzing the forces at play, Sally realizes that the triangle formed is isosceles, with two equal angles and two side lengths (T in the first rope and 2 in the second rope). She also recognizes that in order for the car to not move, the forces must be balanced. Upon labeling an angle and examining the components of the forces, Sally is able to determine the amount
Hey, I'm having problems with this questions

Sally’s car is stuck in a snow bank, but she is very knowledgeable about physics. She ties a rope from her car to a tree 25.0 m away and then pulls sideways on the rope at the midpoint. If Sydney applies a force of 425 N and draws the rope over a horizontal distance of 1.50 m, how much force is applied to the car?

I've drawn out a diagram
http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b505/homework2012/q2_zps6d9f0975.jpg

How do i begin to solve this?
I think that the triangle formed will be an isosceles triangle so 2 angles are the same with 2 side lengths (T in 1st rope=2 in second rope)

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't shown all the forces on your diagram. Let's call the point at which Sally is pulling point S. What are the forces acting at Point S? Well obviously there is the force Sally is applying but there are also two other forces, one for each rope. Since the car isn't moving (yet) the forces are all in balance. Label an angle and look at the components of the various forces.

Related to What are the forces at play in Sally's car rescue scenario?

1. What is a dynamics system?

A dynamics system is a mathematical model used to study the behavior of complex systems over time. It involves understanding how the system changes and evolves in response to various inputs.

2. How is a dynamics system different from a static system?

A dynamics system takes into account the changes and interactions between different components of a system over time, while a static system only considers the system at a single point in time.

3. What are some real-world applications of dynamics systems?

Dynamics systems have a wide range of applications, such as studying the movement of planets in the solar system, analyzing the behavior of stock markets, and predicting the spread of diseases in a population.

4. How are dynamics systems used in engineering?

In engineering, dynamics systems are used to model and analyze the behavior of complex systems, such as mechanical, electrical, and chemical systems. This allows engineers to design and optimize these systems for optimal performance.

5. What are some common tools used to study dynamics systems?

Some common tools used to study dynamics systems include differential equations, computer simulations, and mathematical models. These tools help to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems over time.