Great one-liners from PF members

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!There's also the fact that anyone prescribing homeopathic medicine should be required to accept homeopathic payment which of course is an empty envelope that... doesn't really exist.
Ollie1125 said:
it's not homework it's an assignment

How can you argue with logic like that?

• Haha
Likes Benjies, CalcNerd, Klystron and 7 others
Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
I know, I nearly choked on my cup of tea!

(Context omitted as an act of mercy.)

strangerep said:
(Context omitted as an act of mercy.)
:wink:

Baluncore said:
That suggests you are so far behind, that you think you are first.
This was in response to:
StevenRice said:
I won't be able to tell you everything you say you need. Because I fear that someone might steal my ideas.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes PhDeezNutz, CalcNerd, DrClaude and 4 others
OP:Does having a good memory mean you have a high IQ?

Vanadium50: No, it means you have a good memory.

• Haha
Likes Not anonymous, PhDeezNutz, Hamiltonian and 3 others
pbuk said:
Option E: You won't affect the original files by doing rm -rf /run/timeshift/backup. [...]

If you don't have a reliable backup or clean underwear on hand I recommend instead a variant on Option B: [...]

Likes PeterDonis
Badly constructed buildings become projectiles in a storm. - @hutchphd

Likes PhDeezNutz, DrClaude, BillTre and 2 others
HutchPhD should get the likes. He said it. Besides, I already have my 8000.

Robert Friz said

In my opinion, it is advantageous for physics and physicists to speculate on what some would call unsupportable or too-far-out concepts or theories.Vandium 50 replied
It is not. What you are writing is not even physics. It is a meaningless jumble of words in search of a rational thought.
It has been called "word salad" but that is insulting to salad.

(This is two lines but both are worthy of note)

• Haha
Likes Hamiltonian, Astronuc, CalcNerd and 2 others
A new poster was asking about psychotronic devices that could put sounds, words and and even thoughts in peoples minds.

@Baluncore replied.

All indications are explained by psychosis in the patient.
Some victims are helped by lining their hat with tin foil.

Likes strangerep, BillTre and anorlunda
Back drop.

A poster was trying to give a mathematical proof but was struggling quite a bit. Mentors had given him pointers including Vanadium who suggested quite a few times he need to construct a plan.

The poster replied with yet more mathematical statements getting no nearer a solution.Vanadium 50 replied

That's not a plan. A plan explains how the process will work. It has a beginning, a middle and an end. Your plan is similar to (but not as good as) a plan to drive from Rome to Paris: "Drive out of Rome. Drive on various streets until I bump into Paris."

The driving plan is better because it at least states that it's random luck that this plan is counting on.

Likes strangerep
pinball1970 said:
That's not a plan. A plan explains how the process will work. It has a beginning, a middle and an end. Your plan is similar to (but not as good as) a plan to drive from Rome to Paris: "Drive out of Rome. Drive on various streets until I bump into Paris."
We will never know whether this was a subtlety by @Vanadium 50 or pure luck, that he had chosen the direction Rome ##\longrightarrow ## Paris and not the other way around. If it was Paris ##\longrightarrow ## Rome, then the plan would had been a perfect one, because all roads lead to Rome.

• Haha
Likes NTL2009, PhDeezNutz, Astronuc and 9 others
Got it in one. :bow:

MikeeMiracle said:
Thoughts?
Backdrop. The thoughts Mikee M was interested in was a pop sci video (which to be fair he acknowledged as pop sci) on possibility of multiple big bangs. Unfortunately he just posted the yt video 13 minutes long and said 'thoughts.'

@Vanadium 50 replied:

(First one liner)

1. 'Do you want to summarize the video? I mean, if it's not worth your time to summarize it, why is it worth our time to watch it?'

(Second)

2. 'It is possible that a random Youtube video is an excellent presentation of science to non-experts. It is also possible one will find a nugget of gold in a sewage treatment facility.'

Before you ask, I am not following him. I am just starting to see patterns.

Likes PhDeezNutz and CalcNerd
Bandersnatch said:
Only social scientists have real social life. Physicists manage with half-life. Botanists are barely vegetating. Chemists are bonding among themselves.

Perfect answer to a not so perfect question!

• Haha
Likes Benjies, Astronuc, BillTre and 4 others
symbolipoint said:
Proficiency spoils when it is no longer maintained nor pushed to further development.
👌

Likes PhDeezNutz, sysprog and pinball1970
:smile:

russ_watters said:
Using my mentor supermediocrepowers for good, I read the post you deleted, and honestly it looked fine to me.

• Haha
Likes BillTre, Twigg and anorlunda
by @Benjies in the 'Introduction' thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6511448

How did you find PF? Google, as I literally looked up "forum to nerd out about science" 😅

(Gee, one would think we're getting infamous)

Likes Keith_McClary and BillTre
Tom.G said:
by @Benjies in the 'Introduction' thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6511448
To "nerd out" is new to me. But, as the US linguistics professor said "one can verb any noun".

Likes sysprog, Twigg, DaveC426913 and 2 others
PeroK said:
To "nerd out" is new to me. But, as the US linguistics professor said "one can verb any noun".
Verbing weirds language, according to Calvin and Hobbes.

Likes sysprog and DrClaude
PeroK said:
Or as I expert it: One can noun.

One being regular verb: to noun, nouned, nouned, and one irregular: to expert, export, expart.

Likes Frabjous and sysprog
fresh_42 said:
Or as I expert it: One can noun.

One being regular verb: to noun, nouned, nouned, and one irregular: to expert, export, expart.
Can is also regular: can, canned, canned.

• Haha
Likes bhobba
I was actually referring to the noun, a candy.

Re-reading my original post and seeing this does absolutely nothing to rectify the grammar of my post, I hold to this out of spite. :coffee:

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
Baluncore said:
All Gods believe in mathematics.

Likes Frabjous, sysprog, bhobba and 1 other person
PeroK said:

In Indonesian suffixes and prefixes can be used to systematically turn any word into an active verb, a passive verb, a noun, an abstract noun, an agent that executes an action, something that has been acted upon, or even several of these at the same time. I lived in Penestanan, which I was told means "the place of practitioners of black magic."

Likes Drakkith and PeroK
A. Neumaier said:
Nothing at all is gained by trying to avoid i.
Although said in the context of someone trying to do quantum mechanics without complex numbers, I also think it might make a great entry in a self-help book 😅 (something something lower case i something something taming ego something something)

• Haha
Likes BillTre, anorlunda, sysprog and 1 other person
Nugatory said:
You were asking about the unpublished work of “amateur physicists”, and their work develops the science of physics about as much as palmistry develops the science of anatomy.
:bow:

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, strangerep, bhobba and 3 others
Hey, don't "like" my post. I have my 8000. Go "like" the original by @Nugatory!

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc and Nugatory
Vanadium 50 said:
Hey, don't "like" my oost.

"Oost"??

From the urban dictionary:

UrbanDictionary said:
oost
to dry hump someone of the same sex once with great vigor while they are bending over while shouting "OOST!", perhaps while they are picking up something. ideally an oost should knock someone over. oosts can be performed from a standstill or with a run up.

Vanadium 50 said:
I have my 8000. Go "like" the original by @Nugatory!
Then you'll have to post a link to the original. (I don't read each and every post on PF.)

In fact, maybe posting a link to the original should be a mandatory requirement for new posts in this thread?

• Haha
Likes bhobba
Post.
Now fixed.

There is a link to the original post, in the quote. Click the little arrow.

Likes sysprog
Vanadium 50 said:
:bow:
That quote is two lines. I'm afraid I will have to disqualify your entry.

Change your screen resolution.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking, sysprog and bhobba
Ivan Seeking said:
That quote is two lines. I'm afraid I will have to disqualify your entry.
Hey, when I started the thread, I said "Sometimes I see a line (or maybe a brief multiline) post . . ." ##-## and in all reasonable deference, I ask how should anyone presume to DQ an entry of GM @Vanadium 50? In my opinion, his quote of @Nugatory's masterful remark was also quite masterful. :wink:

Last edited:
strangerep said:
In fact, maybe posting a link to the original should be a mandatory requirement for new posts in this thread?
Isn't "In fact, maybe" rather fence-straddling? :wink: ##-## and might not such a mandatory requirement be rather stultifying? :oops: ##-## I think that whether to include a back-pointer link should continue to be left up to the person who posts the quote . . . :cool: