Great one-liners from PF members

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!There's also the fact that anyone prescribing homeopathic medicine should be required to accept homeopathic payment which of course is an empty envelope that... doesn't really exist.
Ibix said:
Should it arise, though, you'll be unable to resist.
Do one-liners from this thread qualify?

Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
Oh, come on. This is a JOKE thread. Anybody who takes it seriously deserves to have their engine seize up.
Oh, so now you're the Punisher's and Judge Dredd's brother? In my opinion, only those few people who won't add oil or who hotrod too much deserve to have their engines seize up. :wink:

Keith_McClary said:
Well, that does introduce recursion; however, if you have an accompanying comment, I don't see why not, so I ask you, why not?

Keith_McClary said:
Yes ##-## your just-quoted question one-liner, for example, in my opinion qualifies ##\dots## however, I don't want the thread to be ruined, so I hereby request that the recursiveness be kept to a minimum ##\cdots##

From @Mark44: Skipping over things you don't understand will almost certainly come back to bite you in the butt.

Also (as @Borg said) not from PF, but just too good to pass up (this was said to me with a gentlemanly smile from him by an International Master chess player who beat everyone else, including me, at a local tavern (he was the only guy there who could beat me) after he had sacrificed two major pieces on the way to checkmating his opponent):

Well, the important thing is to win.

Last edited:
Likes timmeister37
Another favourite of mine is "why should I pay more than $750 of tax a year - who do you think I am?".

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd, collinsmark, berkeman and 3 others
Not sure if these have been posted already, but the fact that they are both from the same thread is significant...

PeroK said:
If the electron could speak we would not understand it!

Vanadium 50 said:
I think you are seeing signs of intelligence that just isn't there. It's like a thermos. How does it know to keep hot things hot and cold things cold? How does it know?

• Haha
Likes strangerep, BillTre and sysprog
I also did say "Let me ask my question!" at some point. That's a great one-liner.

Likes collinsmark and BillTre
Another favourite of mine is by V50: "Don't stick words in my mouth. It is the cheapest form of debate and beneath you and your office.", conversed to a mentor on this PF.

Likes sysprog and BillTre
I thought he was trying to make me look like a fool. I can do that on my own! (The secret is plenty of practice)

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, epenguin, Astronuc and 4 others
In my opinion, that's right up there with Mark Twain's "It's easy to stop smoking; I've done it thousands of times."

Likes CalcNerd, timmeister37 and BillTre
Dale said:
Invalid facts are notoriously difficult to explain.

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd, collinsmark, jack action and 5 others
Vanadium 50 said:
sysprog said:
It seems to me that this language is broad enough that a 12-year-old kid with a $50 quad-drone could qualify if it wanders into DoD-restricted airspace.
That's just what They want you to think.

Another favourite of mine is "<name> offered no hard proof for his assertions, and he has a record of making claims that don't withstand scrutiny." - me.

OOP doesn't program the computer, it programs this big fat pillow that's between the programmer and the computer. @phinds (post: 6402007)

Likes Keith_McClary
"I've been awarded the Nobel Prize for this, and another that. ... By Nobel Prize, I mean nomination." - me

I had an appliance with manuals in French and German. In a particular situation, the German manual explained how to fix it. The French manual said to call the repairman. ##-## @Vanadium 50

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd, dextercioby, timmeister37 and 2 others
"I rather suspect that you are speculating without actually understanding the mathematics of the models. That's a bit like trying to add a second hand to a watch by drawing it on the face with a pen." - @Ibix

Clearly the person in question fancies himself a...wait for it...Sharpie.

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd, PhDeezNutz, phinds and 1 other person
@PeroK strikes again!

PeroK said:
I don't what else to say except that you just didn't get it.

Likes fresh_42
"deceiving people is always more lucrative than enlightening them" - @mathwonk

• Sad
  • Informative
Likes PhDeezNutz, strangerep, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
"I conclude that 'lots of love' can be abbreviated to LOL". - me

il sober up before i post again. don't worry I'm not driving I'm on a course this week. ##-## @chrishgv

Likes collinsmark
"A house divided against itself cannot stand." Abraham Lincoln.

Likes fresh_42 and BillTre
PeroK said:
"A house divided against itself cannot stand." Abraham Lincoln.
I didn't know there was a user on PF called Abraham Lincoln.

Likes jack action
StevieTNZ said:
I didn't know there was a user on PF called Abraham Lincoln.
He's from back in the early days.

Likes timmeister37 and BillTre
PeroK said:
He's from back in the early days.
He's Don Lincoln's uncle, or something. :wink:

Likes PeroK
Please try to remain on topic and avoid political statements, disguised or not.

I'll try to set the thread on its rails again:

Vanadium 50 said:
If you can't make a quantitative prediction, you don't really have a theory.

Likes Wrichik Basu
If one does not perceive gravity then it has no effect. The experimental evidence can be found in Road Runner cartoons. ##-## @jbriggs444

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, strangerep, Astronuc and 6 others
First, if you are angry enough to think you might have done damage to a house, you need to seriously consider anger management. ##-## @Vanadium 50

Likes Astronuc
phinds said:
You really not barking up the wrong tree with this so much as you are barking up a tree that doesn't even exist.

• Haha
Likes DaveE, strangerep, Astronuc and 3 others
jbriggs444 said:
Approaches and becomes are not synonyms.

Likes Wrichik Basu and sysprog