Great one-liners from PF members

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!There's also the fact that anyone prescribing homeopathic medicine should be required to accept homeopathic payment which of course is an empty envelope that... doesn't really exist.
jack action said:
We already have it in French. :-p
Well dang. I've had this happen before. Last time it was Apocalypso. Someday soon anything you can imagine will already be there. Then what?

A ChatLSD search turned up the Charles Schwab brokerage. Who knew?

There was a ChatLSD on Instagram that has been removed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
Who knew?
Timothy Leary?

PeroK said:
This process of continually updating one's knowledge of a subject is called learning. It's the opposite of religiously adhering to an established view in the face of evidence to the contrary.

Likes Flyboy, berkeman, Hornbein and 3 others
pbuk said:
... if only there were some way of searching for information on the internet :wink:
This deserves to be in this thread in its own right, yeah?

Likes berkeman, phinds, BillTre and 1 other person
PeroK said
This process of continually updating one's knowledge of a subject is called learning. It's the opposite of religiously adhering to an established view in the face of evidence to the contrary.
I might borrow this one, if you don't mind.

-Dan

Swamp Thing said:
This deserves to be in this thread in its own right, yeah?
That was my complaint about the title "Breaking bad."

Likes jack action
In a discussion about a woman who had 69 children from 27 pregnancies (all multiple births):
BillTre said:
27 x .75 = 20.25 years
That so much more reasonable.
Very fertile, but also efficient.

About questionable results in a new paper:

Vanadium 50 said:
At least it puts the woo in woo hoo.

:smile:

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, BillTre and topsquark
When trying to help an EE student with analyzing fairly simple circuits, and they keep trying to use SPICE to guide their learning...

DaveE said:
You'll learn a lot more about electronics if you solve simple circuits with math before you simulate them. Simulations only give you answers, not reasons.

• Care
Likes Wrichik Basu and BillTre
russ_watters said:
As a rule of thumb, when the first thing someone tells you is that their invention isn't a perpetual motion machine (before you can even think to ask), that means it's a perpetual motion machine.

Likes Wrichik Basu, DennisN, Bystander and 5 others
That sounds like a conversation that could go on forever.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and berkeman
gleem said:
There is no universal Least Action path to happiness.

Likes Wrichik Basu, Vanadium 50, berkeman and 1 other person
This one is way over my head... :smile:

Vanadium 50 said:
The fact that you can buy an oven mitt at all is proof of quantum mechanics.

There is an explanation in that thread.

Likes SammyS
From a thread where a math major is complaining that when he had to take a mandatory Physics course, he found the math in it to be very non-rigorous and not based on axioms...

andresB said:
Do you already know what the axioms of nature are?

While trying to give a B-level reply to a question about the speed of propagation of changes in spacetime...

Ibix said:
It's actually quite difficult to come up with a well-defined way of saying what you are trying to say without either resorting to postgrad maths or saying something not really accurate and crossing your fingers behind your back and hoping nobody asks awkward questions.

Likes pinball1970 and Ibix
berkeman said:
From a thread where a math major is complaining that when he had to take a mandatory Physics course, he found the math in it to be very non-rigorous and not based on axioms...

From the very same thread:
russ_watters said:
I guarantee any stroke QM could give a mathematician, an engineer could make worse.

• Haha
Likes DrClaude and DaveE
From a thread discussing WiFi and Routers, @Vanadium 50 observed:

The number on the box is really mostly irrelevant. "Up to X Mbps" just means that they promise you won't get X+1.

Vanadium on a post regarding David McCallum TV series.

pinball1970 said:
The Invisible man" 1975 series
V50 "I could never see him in that role."

• Love
  • Haha
Likes nsaspook, BillTre and DennisN
Vanadium 50 said:
I could never see him in that role.
Not to be outdone our talented, the lovely,our very own @DennisN !!
"Also, as far as I can remember, the portrayal of the character was rather transparent."

From a discussion in the Engineering forums about a part that a new user wants help designing:

Baluncore said:
If you have ignored the obvious failure modes, and so build a house of cards, that design failure may later be investigated by a Coroner.

Likes DaveC426913
From a discussion thread in the Academic Advising forum where a newbie is asking for advice about learning resources...

gmax137 said:
As others have noted, learning physics by reading alone would be like learning to play piano by reading a book. It simply is not possible.

Likes pinball1970
berkeman said:
From a discussion thread in the Academic Advising forum where a newbie is asking for advice about learning resources...

gmax137 said:
As others have noted, learning physics by reading alone would be like learning to play piano by reading a book. It simply is not possible.
But the skills are transferable...

• Haha
Likes PeroK, collinsmark and berkeman
Ibix said:
If I tell you that a scribblex is a fooddely scribblex if the warghandle is zero you might (reasonably) complain that this does not help you to understand what I'm talking about.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
gleem said:
Decisions made by emotional inclinations can be risky or just dumb.
:smile:

Likes berkeman
Exactly. How many times have you grabbed the vanilla ice cream only to beat yourself up later knowing you should have gotten chocolate?

Haborix said:
How many times have you grabbed the vanilla ice cream only to beat yourself up later knowing you should have gotten chocolate?
I solve this problem by not liking chocolate ice cream. :wink:

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes Wrichik Basu, BillTre, phinds and 2 others
Agreed. IMHO, (French) vanilla is the only real flavor of ice cream!

-Dan

• Skeptical
Likes Wrichik Basu, Borg, Bystander and 1 other person
Emack and Bolio's "Chocolate Moose" ice cream is excellent. But their "Vanilla Bean Speck" is outstanding.

Likes topsquark
Well, if we are going to be picky, I’d almost always take butter pecan over either vanilla or chocolate.

By @Baluncore in Engineering and Computer Sci Homework Help

Be productive, play LTspice simulation of circuits, not video games.

Haborix said:
Well, if we are going to be picky, I’d almost always take butter pecan over either vanilla or chocolate.
I would agree w/ you about that but then we'd both be wrong. :oldlaugh:

• Haha
Likes BillTre
Nice metaphor by V50 when giving advice in the Academic Advising forum to a user who is considering switching majors into a more narrow specialty...

Vanadium 50 said:
If you shoot for such a narrow target, what happens if you miss?

Likes Tom.G
Well worth keeping in mind, I think:
PeterDonis said:
The fact that quantum systems behave highly non-classically in some cases does not mean they do so in all cases.