Fluid Mechanics: Cone-Plate viscometer

In summary, the author was trying to solve for the differential surface area of a cone and got confused when he was doing the calculations. He eventually figured out how to do it using a truncated cone and the differential area element.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Untitled.png

Homework Equations

Fluid Mechanics

τ =μ (du/dy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got far enough to write down

dM = μ (Ωr/tanθ) dA

from just substitutions, easy enough.

I get confused when I'm solving for the differential surface area. I somehow need the dA for a cone.
For a circle it's easy enough. A=πr^2 so then dA = 2πr dr.

But how do I go about getting this for a cone? the book lists it as (2πr/cosθ) dr, without any explanation, of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a strip element 2πxdr, where x is the radius of circle formed by that strip element. Try relating x to r using similarity of triangles.

Well you should first understand how to find the surface area of a "truncated cone" (ignoring the faces)
It is the average circumference of the cone multiplied by the side length (not the height)

So the surface area of a truncated cone (ignoring the faces) is [itex]2\pi r_{avg}L[/itex] or you could say [itex]2\pi L\frac{r_1+r_2}{2}[/itex]
(Side note, this also applies to normal cones; just treat the tip as r2=0)

So with this understanding of truncated cones, look at the following picture I made:
coneintegral.png

The differential surface area would be [itex]2\pi r_{avg}L[/itex] but as you can see from the picture, [itex]L=\frac{dr}{\cos\theta}[/itex] therefore the differential surface area is [itex]\frac{2\pi R_{avg}}{\cos\theta}dr[/itex]

The two radii are r and (r+dr) but since dr is obviously infinitesimal, it suffices to say [itex]r_{avg}=r[/itex]

Last edited:
Likes Feodalherren
Does it really require all that? Isn't using similarity to relate x and R, considering a string element of radius x, just enough?

erisedk said:
Does it really require all that? Isn't using similarity to relate x and R, considering a string element of radius x, just enough?
No that is incorrect. The differential area element is [itex]\frac{2\pi x}{\cos\theta}dx[/itex]

Me and the OP were using r not to represent the radius of the base of the cone, but to represent what you called "x"

Nathanael said:
No that is incorrect. The differential area element is [itex]\frac{2\pi x}{\cos\theta}dx[/itex]

Me and the OP were using r not to represent the radius of the base of the cone, but to represent what you called "x"

Oh ok.

Nathanael said:
Well you should first understand how to find the surface area of a "truncated cone" (ignoring the faces)
It is the average circumference of the cone multiplied by the side length (not the height)

So the surface area of a truncated cone (ignoring the faces) is [itex]2\pi r_{avg}L[/itex] or you could say [itex]2\pi L\frac{r_1+r_2}{2}[/itex]
(Side note, this also applies to normal cones; just treat the tip as r2=0)

So with this understanding of truncated cones, look at the following picture I made:
View attachment 78118
The differential surface area would be [itex]2\pi r_{avg}L[/itex] but as you can see from the picture, [itex]L=\frac{dr}{\cos\theta}[/itex] therefore the differential surface area is [itex]\frac{2\pi R_{avg}}{\cos\theta}dr[/itex]

The two radii are r and (r+dr) but since dr is obviously infinitesimal, it is suffices to say [itex]r_{avg}=r[/itex]
Excellent explanation. Thank you very much, Sir.

Related to Fluid Mechanics: Cone-Plate viscometer

1. What is a Cone-Plate viscometer and how does it work?

A Cone-Plate viscometer is a type of instrument used to measure the viscosity, or resistance to flow, of fluids. It consists of a cone-shaped rotor that is immersed in the fluid and rotates at a constant speed, while a stationary plate is positioned just above the rotor. The resistance to flow caused by the viscosity of the fluid creates a measurable torque on the rotor, which can be used to determine the viscosity of the fluid.

2. What are the advantages of using a Cone-Plate viscometer?

Compared to other types of viscometers, the Cone-Plate viscometer offers several advantages. It is highly accurate and precise, has a wide range of measurable viscosities, and can be used with both Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids. It also requires a relatively small sample size and can provide results quickly.

3. How is the viscosity of a fluid calculated using a Cone-Plate viscometer?

The viscosity of a fluid is calculated by measuring the torque on the rotor and the angular velocity of the rotor. The ratio of these two values is known as the shear stress and is used in the calculation of viscosity using the formula: viscosity = shear stress / shear rate. The shear rate is determined by the geometry of the viscometer and the rotational speed of the rotor.

4. What are some common applications of Cone-Plate viscometers?

Cone-Plate viscometers are commonly used in industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and petroleum, to measure the viscosity of various fluids. They are also used in research and development to study the rheological properties of new materials and in quality control to ensure consistency and stability of products.

5. How can the accuracy and reliability of Cone-Plate viscometer measurements be ensured?

The accuracy and reliability of Cone-Plate viscometer measurements can be ensured by following proper calibration procedures and using high-quality materials. It is also important to carefully control the temperature and cleanliness of the sample and to properly maintain and calibrate the instrument. Regularly comparing results with other methods or instruments can also help to ensure accuracy and reliability.