Fluid Dynamic Torque [in symbols]

In summary, to rotate the bearing with a constant angular velocity, the professor required a torque of T. The equation for the torque is: τ=μ(dy/dt) where μ is the viscosity of the fluid and y is the distance measured from the vertex of the cone to the location of interest. The radius at Location z is given by r=ztanθ and the relative velocity between the cone and the stator surface at location z is θ.
Bluestribute

Homework Statement

The conical bearing is placed in a lubricating Newtonian fluid having a viscosity μ.
Determine the torque T required to rotate the bearing with a constant angular velocity of ω. Assume the velocity profile along the thickness t of the fluid is linear.

Homework Equations

v=ωr
τ=μ(dy/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

So our professor was in the middle of a problem like this before running out of time and abandoning it . . . so I'm not really sure where to start. I know trig is used to find a relationship between R and H, but setting up the integral and actually integrating . . . I'm lost . . .

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
Let z represent the distance measured upward from the vertex of the cone. What is the radius at location z in terms of θ? What is the relative velocity between the cone and the stator surface at location z? If the spacing in the figure is t, what is the horizontal spacing between the cone surface and the stator surface in terms of θ? What is the shear rate at location z?

Chet

r=ztanθ

Isn't velocity ωr? So ωztanθ?

I don't really understand that last points you made, but so far is this correct? I know the final answer has a sinθ in it, and it's because the thickness of the cone is used instead of height. But the reasoning behind the confuses me too . . .

Bluestribute said:
r=ztanθ

Isn't velocity ωr? So ωztanθ?

I don't really understand that last points you made, but so far is this correct?
Yes.
I know the final answer has a sinθ in it, and it's because the thickness of the cone is used instead of height. But the reasoning behind the confuses me too . . .
The horizontal spacing between the cone and the stator is t/cosθ=tsecθ, so the shear rate is:
$$δ=z\frac{ω\tanθ}{t\secθ}=z\frac{ω\sinθ}{t}$$
What is the shear stress τ(z)?
What is the torque on the increment of cone surface between z and z + dz?

Chet

Incidentally, this can be done more precisely if we use spherical coordinates.

Chet

Related to Fluid Dynamic Torque [in symbols]

1. What is Fluid Dynamic Torque?

Fluid Dynamic Torque, denoted as Tfd, is a measure of the rotational force or torque exerted on a body immersed in a fluid, such as air or water. It is a result of the interaction between the fluid and the body's surface and can contribute to the body's movement and stability.

2. How is Fluid Dynamic Torque calculated?

The calculation of Fluid Dynamic Torque involves factors such as the velocity of the fluid, the surface area of the body, and the fluid density. It can be represented by the equation Tfd = ρ * V^2 * A * C, where ρ is the fluid density, V is the fluid velocity, A is the surface area, and C is the drag coefficient.

3. What is the significance of Fluid Dynamic Torque in engineering?

Fluid Dynamic Torque is important in engineering as it helps determine the forces acting on a body in fluid flow, which is crucial for designing structures or vehicles that can withstand and maneuver through fluid forces. It is also used in the analysis of fluid flow in pipes, pumps, turbines, and other devices.

4. How does Fluid Dynamic Torque affect the performance of vehicles?

Fluid Dynamic Torque can have a significant impact on the performance and control of vehicles such as airplanes and ships. It can create rotational forces that can affect the stability, speed, and maneuverability of the vehicle, and must be taken into consideration during the design process.

5. Can Fluid Dynamic Torque be reduced or controlled?

Yes, Fluid Dynamic Torque can be reduced or controlled through various methods such as altering the shape or surface area of the body, adjusting the fluid flow, or adding features such as fins or spoilers. This is important in optimizing the performance and stability of vehicles in fluid environments.