Fine structure, hydrogen atom, principal quantum number 3

In summary, the discussion revolved around calculating the degeneracy due to spin-orbit coupling for the states 3p and 3d in a hydrogen atom. The conversation mentioned two different formulas for this calculation, one from books and Wikipedia and another from the professor. The results obtained using the first formula were confirmed to be correct, with the difference in energy between the levels being significant enough to have been measured. This difference is known as the Lamb shift and is a relativistic effect. The conversation also clarified that both formulas were equivalent, with the second one being a factor of E_0 higher due to the use of the fine structure constant, $\alpha$.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The level n=3 for atoms with 1 electron have the states [itex]3s_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]3p_{1/2}[/itex], [itex]3p_{3/2}[/itex], [itex]3d_{3/2}[/itex], [itex]3d_{5/2}[/itex]. If we ignore the spin-orbit coupling these states are degenerated. Calculate the degeneration due to the the spin-orbit coupling for the levels 3p and 3d for the hydrogen atom.

Homework Equations

[itex]E_{n,j}=E_n \left [1+\frac{Z^2 \alpha ^2}{n} \left ( \frac{1}{j+1/2}-\frac{3}{4n} \right ) \right ][/itex]. I've found this formula in books and in wikipedia. My professor gave us a slightly different formula so I'm confused which one to use.
His formula: [itex]E_{n,j}=E_n - \frac{Z^4 \alpha ^2}{n^3}E_0 \left ( \frac{2}{2j+1} -\frac{3}{4n} \right )[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I reach, using the book/wikipedia formula that for the states with j=5/2, [itex]\Delta E \approx -2.24 \times 10 ^{-6}eV[/itex].
For the states with j=3/2, [itex]\Delta E \approx -6.70 \times 10 ^{-6}eV[/itex].
For the states with j=1/2, [itex]\Delta E \approx -2.46 \times 10 ^{-5}eV[/itex].
I have the feeling that my numbers are somehow wrong but I am not sure.
Could someone confirm my results? I tried to check up these values in some book and on the Internet but I didn't find them.
Thanks for any input!
Edit: Hmm I think both formula are equivalent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Right? Because the second one is just the first one with the factor E_0=m_e c^2 \alpha ^2/2. Therefore I think my results are correct. Right? A:Your calculation is correct, although if you are going to use $\alpha$ you should use the fine structure constant, which is $\alpha \approx 1/137$.The difference in energy between the 3 levels is significant enough that it has been measured and is due to the spin-orbit coupling, which is a relativistic effect.The fact that the 3p level is higher in energy than the 3d level is known as the Lamb shift.

Related to Fine structure, hydrogen atom, principal quantum number 3

1. What is the fine structure of a hydrogen atom?

The fine structure of a hydrogen atom refers to the splitting of spectral lines in the atom's emission spectrum. This splitting is caused by the interaction between the electron's spin and its orbital motion around the nucleus.

2. What is the significance of principal quantum number 3 in a hydrogen atom?

The principal quantum number 3 indicates the energy level or shell of the electron in a hydrogen atom. It represents the third orbit or energy level of the electron, with higher energy levels having larger values of the principal quantum number.

3. How does the principal quantum number 3 affect the fine structure of a hydrogen atom?

The principal quantum number 3 plays a role in determining the energy and spacing of the spectral lines in the fine structure of a hydrogen atom. As the energy level increases, the spectral lines become closer together, resulting in a more complex fine structure pattern.

4. Can the principal quantum number 3 have a decimal value?

No, the principal quantum number must be a positive integer. It represents the number of nodes or circular regions in the electron's orbital around the nucleus.

5. How does the fine structure of a hydrogen atom impact its chemical properties?

The fine structure of a hydrogen atom has a minimal impact on its chemical properties as it does not significantly affect the electron's behavior in the outermost energy level. However, it does have an impact on the atom's energy levels and emission spectrum, which can be observed through spectroscopy.