Calculate the magnetic moment of a rotating sphere

LeoJakob
Homework Statement
A sphere with radius ##R ## is spatially homogeneously loaded and rotates with constant angular velocity ##\vec{ \omega}## around the ##z ## axis running through the center of the sphere.

Calculate the magnetic moment of the sphere ##\vec m##
Relevant Equations
##\vec{m}=\frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{V} \vec{r}^{\prime} \times \vec{j}\left(\vec{r}^{\prime}\right) d V, \vec{j}(\vec{r}, t)=\rho(\vec{r}, t) \vec{v}(\vec{r}, t), \vec{v}=\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}##
Ich wäre Ihnen sehr dankbar, wenn Sie sich meine Lösung der folgenden Übung ansehen:

A sphere with radius ##R ## is spatially homogeneously loaded and rotates with constant angular velocity ##\vec{ \omega}## around the ##z ## axis running through the center of the sphere.

First I need to calculate ##\vec{j}(\vec{r}, t)=\rho(\vec{r}, t) \vec{v}(\vec{r}, t)##

I will use spherical coordinates:

(i) I calculated ##\rho (r)=\frac{3 Q}{4 \pi R^{3}} \theta(R-r)## with the total charge ##Q##
(ii)

$$\vec{\omega}=\omega \vec{e}_{z}, \vec{r}=r \vec{e}_{r}$$

$$\vec{v}=\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}=r \omega\left(\vec{e}_{z} \times \vec{e}_{r}\right)=r \omega \vec{e}_{\phi}$$

$$\vec{j}(\vec{r})=\rho(r) \vec{v}=\rho(r) \vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}=\rho(r) r \omega \vec{e}_{\phi}=j(r) \vec{e}_{\phi} $$

$$\vec{m}=\frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{V} \vec{r}^{\prime} \times \vec{j}\left(\vec{r}^{\prime}\right) d V \\
=\frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{V}\left(r^{\prime} \vec{e}_{r'}\right) \times\left(j\left(r^{\prime}) \vec{e}_{\phi}\right) d V\right. \\
=\frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{V} r^{\prime} j\left(r^{\prime}\right)(\underbrace{\vec{e}_{r'} \times \vec{e}_{\phi}}_{\overrightarrow{e_{z}}}) d V \\
=\frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{0}^{2 \pi} d \phi \int \limits_{0}^{\pi} \sin \theta d \theta \int \limits_{0}^{\infty} r'\left(\frac{3 Q}{4 \pi R^{3}} \theta(R-r')\right) \cdot r^{\prime} \omega\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{2} d r^{\prime} \vec{e}_{z} \\
=\frac{1}{2}(2 \pi)(-2) \frac{3 Q}{4 \pi R^{3}} \int \limits_{0}^{R}\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{4} d r^{\prime} \vec{e}_{z} \\ =-\frac{3}{2} \frac{Q \omega}{R^{3}}\left[\frac{\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{5}}{5}\right]_{0}^{R}\vec{e}_{z} =-\frac{3}{10} Q \omega R^{2} \vec{e}_{z}
$$

The units are correct ##[ A\cdot m^2]##

Physics news on Phys.org
LeoJakob said:
$$\vec{v}=\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}=r \omega\left(\vec{e}_{z} \times \vec{e}_{r}\right)=r \omega \vec{e}_{\phi}$$
In spherical coordinates, ##\vec {e}_z \times \vec {e}_r \neq \vec {e}_\phi##, in general.
A sketch will help.

LeoJakob said:
$$\frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{V} r^{\prime} j\left(r^{\prime}\right)(\underbrace{\vec{e}_{r'} \times \vec{e}_{\phi}}_{\overrightarrow{e_{z}}}) d V $$
##\vec {e}_{r'} \times \vec {e}_{\phi} \neq \vec {e}_z##, in general.

LeoJakob said:
Homework Statement: A sphere with radius ##R ## is spatially homogeneously loaded and rotates with constant angular velocity ##\vec{ \omega}## around the ##z ## axis running through the center of the sphere.
(i) I calculated ##\rho (r)=\frac{3 Q}{4 \pi R^{3}} \theta(R-r)## with the total charge ##Q##
What does "spatially homogeneously loaded" mean? I think it means "has uniform charge density" and that you should have ##\rho = \text{const.}## Besides, your expression does not make sense because it shows a ##\theta## dependence that is not periodic. When ##\theta = 2\pi, 4\pi,\dots##, you should get the same value as when ##\theta=0##.

The way I would do this problem is write ##dq=\rho~dV=\rho~ r^2 dr~\sin\theta d\theta~d\phi## and consider the magnetic moment of a current loop of radius ##r## and current ##dI=\dfrac{dq}{dt}.##

Find the contribution to the magnetic moment of this current loop and add all such contributions over the volume of the sphere.

kuruman said:
your expression does not make sense because it shows a ##\theta## dependence that is not periodic.
I think the ##\theta## in the expression ##\rho (r)=\frac{3 Q}{4 \pi R^{3}} \theta(R-r)## is meant to represent the Heaviside step function.

kuruman said:
Besides, your expression does not make sense because it shows a θ dependence that is not periodic.
I'm really sry for that, I meant the heaviside-function and should have wrote ##\vartheta## for the spherical coordinates. I will give you a new calculation in a few minutes

LeoJakob said:
I'm really sry for that, I meant the heaviside-function and should have wrote ##\vartheta## for the spherical coordinates. I will give you a new calculation in a few minutes
Why do you need the Heaviside function? The volume charge density is ##\rho=\frac{3Q}{4\pi R^3}## as you say. If you integrate over ##r## from 0 to ##R## you implicitly take into consideration that there is no charge in the region ##r>R##.

TSny said:
In spherical coordinates, ##\vec {e}_z \times \vec {e}_r \neq \vec {e}_\phi##, in general.
A sketch will help.

##\vec {e}_{r'} \times \vec {e}_{\phi} \neq \vec {e}_z##, in general.
But ##\vec {e}_{r'} \times \vec {e}_{\phi} = \vec {e}_{\theta}## is correct?

kuruman said:
Why do you need the Heaviside function? The volume charge density is ##\rho=\frac{3Q}{4\pi R^3}## as you say. If you integrate over ##r## from 0 to ##R## you implicitly take into consideration that there is no charge in the region ##r>R##.
True!
LeoJakob said:
magneticMoment.png

First I need to calculate ##\vec{j}(\vec{r}, t)=\rho(\vec{r}, t) \vec{v}(\vec{r}, t)##

Failed attempt:
I tried to use spherical coordinates. Because of the radial symmetrie the magnetic moment will only be dependent on the distance ##r## from the origin. I can set my coordinate system so that the position vector ## \vec r## is on the z-axis. Don't know the next step....

kuruman said:
The way I would do this problem is write ##dq=\rho~dV=\rho~ r^2 dr~\sin\theta d\theta~d\phi## and consider the magnetic moment of a current loop of radius ##r## and current ##dI=\dfrac{dq}{dt}.##
I only know this formula ##\vec{m}=\frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{V} \vec{r}^{\prime} \times \vec{j}\left(\vec{r}^{\prime}\right) d V##. I don’t understand what your idea is: ##j=\frac{I}{S}=\frac{dq}{dt}\cdot \frac{1}{S}=\frac{d(\rho~ r^2 dr~\sin\theta d\theta~d\phi)}{dt}\cdot \frac{1}{S}##

##S## is the cross-sectional area.

LeoJakob said:
But ##\vec {e}_{r'} \times \vec {e}_{\phi} = \vec {e}_{\theta}## is correct?
Almost. Can you see that the sign is wrong? That is, you should have ##\vec {e}_{r'} \times \vec {e}_{\phi} = -\vec {e}_{\theta}##.

By symmetry, the magnetic moment will be in the ##z##-direction. So, you only need the ##z##-component of ##\vec {e}_{r'} \times \vec {e}_{\phi}##. What is the ##z##-component of ##-\vec{e}_{\theta}## in terms of the angle ##\theta##?

Second, you need to correct your expression for ##\vec{v}##. You wrote correctly that ##\vec v = \vec{\omega} \times \vec r = r \omega \vec e_z \times \vec e_r##. But then you wrote ##\vec e_z \times \vec e_r= \vec e_{\phi}##, which is incorrect. Note that ##\vec e_z## and ##\vec e_r## are not perpendicular to one another. You should get that ##\vec e_z \times \vec e_r## equals some function of ##\theta## times ##\vec e_{\phi}##.

If you make these two corrections in your calculation, I think you will get the correct answer. You will find that the only change will be in the integration over ##\theta##.

Likes LeoJakob
LeoJakob said:
I only know this formula ##\vec{m}=\frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{V} \vec{r}^{\prime} \times \vec{j}\left(\vec{r}^{\prime}\right) d V##. I don’t understand what your idea is: ##j=\frac{I}{S}=\frac{dq}{dt}\cdot \frac{1}{S}=\frac{d(\rho~ r^2 dr~\sin\theta d\theta~d\phi)}{dt}\cdot \frac{1}{S}##

##S## is the cross-sectional area.
I will show you my solution once you solve this problem the way you understand it best. I don't want to interfere with the alternative path that @TSny is guiding you through.

Likes LeoJakob
TSny said:
By symmetry, the magnetic moment will be in the ##z##-direction. So, you only need the ##z##-component of ##\vec {e}_{r'} \times \vec {e}_{\phi}##. What is the ##z##-component of ##-\vec{e}_{\theta}## in terms of the angle ##\theta##?
##(\vec {e}_{r'} \times \vec {e}_{\phi})_z=(-\vec {e}_{\theta})_z=\sin \theta ##? I don't know how I can represent ##\vec e_z## in spherical coordinates?

LeoJakob said:
##(\vec {e}_{r'} \times \vec {e}_{\phi})_z=(-\vec {e}_{\theta})_z=\sin \theta ##?
Yes. Good.

LeoJakob said:
I don't know how I can represent ##\vec e_z## in spherical coordinates?
From a sketch you should be able to identify the angle that ##\vec e_z## makes to each of the spherical-coordinate unit vectors: ##\vec e_r, \vec e_{\theta}## and ##\vec e_{\phi}##. Then you can fill in the parentheses in $$\vec e_z = (\,\,\,) \vec e_r + (\,\,\,) \vec e_{\theta} + (\,\,\,)\vec e_{\phi}.$$
You should find that the content of one of the parentheses is zero and the others are functions of ##\theta##.

Likes LeoJakob
Ahhhh, ##\vec e_\phi## is zero becaues it is perpendicular to the ##z##- axis., so it will not contribute to a ##z## component.
So I'm now at this point:

$$ \left(\begin{array}{l}0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{array}\right)=\lambda\left(\begin{array}{c}\sin \theta \cos \phi \\ \sin \theta \sin \phi \\ \cos \theta\end{array}\right)+\mu\left(\begin{array}{c}\cos \theta \cos \phi \\ \cos \theta \sin \phi \\ -\sin \theta\end{array}\right) $$

It is necessary that:
$$\sin \theta \cos \phi=\sin \theta \sin \phi=\cos \theta \cos \phi=\cos \theta \sin \phi=0$$

I haven’t gotten any further with my thought process.

Edit - new thoughts: $$ \begin{array}{l}\phi=0 \\ \left(\begin{array}{l}0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{array}\right)= \vec{e}_{z}=\cos \theta \vec e_r -\sin \theta \vec{e}_{\theta} ?\end{array} $$

Last edited:
LeoJakob said:
Edit - new thoughts: $$ \vec{e}_{z}=\cos \theta \vec e_r -\sin \theta \vec{e}_{\theta} ?$$
Yes, that's it.

Likes LeoJakob
$$ \begin{array}{l}m=\frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{V} \vec{r}^{\prime} \times \vec{j}\left(\vec{r}^{\prime}\right) d V \\ \vec{\omega}=\omega \overrightarrow{e_{z}}=\omega\left(\cos \theta \vec{e}_{r}-\sin \theta \overrightarrow{e_{\theta}}\right) \\ \vec{v}=\vec{\omega} \times \vec{r}=\left(\omega \vec{e}_{z}\right) \times\left(r \vec{e}_{r}\right) \\ =\omega r\left[\left(\cos \theta \vec{e}_{r}-\sin \theta \vec{e}_{\theta}\right) \times \vec{e}_{r}\right] \\ =\operatorname{\omega r}[\cos \theta(\underbrace{\left(\vec{e}_{r} \times \vec{e}_{r}\right.}_{=0})-\sin \theta(\underbrace{\overrightarrow{e_{\theta}} \times \vec{e}_{r}}_{-\vec{e}_{\phi}})] \\ =\omega r \sin \theta \vec{e}_{\phi} \\ \vec{j}=\rho \vec{v}=\rho \cdot \omega r \sin \theta \vec{e}_{\phi} \\ \vec{r}^{\prime} \times \vec{j}=\left(r^{\prime} \overrightarrow{e_{r^{\prime}}}\right) \times \vec{j} \\ =p \omega\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{2} \sin \theta(\underbrace{\overrightarrow{e_{r}} \times \overrightarrow{e_{\phi}}}_{-\overrightarrow{e_{\theta}}}) \\\end{array} $$

$$ \begin{aligned} \vec{m} & =\frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{0}^{2 \pi} d \phi \int \limits_{0}^{R} \rho \omega\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{4} d r^{\prime} \int \limits_{0}^{\pi} \sin ^{2} \theta d \theta\left(-\vec{e}_{\theta}\right) \\ & =-\rho \omega \pi\left[\frac{\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{5}}{5}\right]_{0}^{R} \cdot \frac{\pi}{2} \vec{e}_{\theta} \\ & =-p \omega \pi^{2} \frac{R^{5}}{10} \vec{e}_{\theta} \\ & =\left(\frac{3 Q}{4 \pi R^{3}}\right) \omega \pi^{2} \frac{R^{5}}{10} \overrightarrow{e_{\theta}}=-\frac{3\pi}{40}Q\omega R^2\overrightarrow{e_{\theta}}\end{aligned} $$

Last edited:
Everything looks good up to here:
LeoJakob said:
$$ \begin{aligned} \vec{m} & =\frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{0}^{2 \pi} d \phi \int \limits_{0}^{R} \rho \omega\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{4} d r^{\prime} \int \limits_{0}^{\pi} \sin ^{2} \theta d \theta\left(-\vec{e}_{\theta}\right) \\ \end{aligned} $$
##\vec e_{\theta}## has a direction that depends on the value of ##\theta##. So, you can't treat ##\vec e_{\theta}## as a constant vector when integrating over ##\theta##.

We know that ##\vec m## is in the ##z## direction. So, we only need ##m_z##.$$ m_z = \vec m \cdot \vec{e}_z = \frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{0}^{2 \pi} d \phi \int \limits_{0}^{R} \rho \omega\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{4} d r^{\prime} \int \limits_{0}^{\pi} \sin ^{2} \theta \left[\left(-\vec{e}_{\theta}\right) \cdot \vec{e}_z\right] d \theta$$ Substitute for ##\left(-\vec{e}_{\theta}\right) \cdot \vec{e}_z## and then do the ##\theta## integration.

Likes LeoJakob
TSny said:
We know that ##\vec m## is in the ##z## direction. So, we only need ##m_z##.$$ m_z = \vec m \cdot \vec{e}_z = \frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{0}^{2 \pi} d \phi \int \limits_{0}^{R} \rho \omega\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{4} d r^{\prime} \int \limits_{0}^{\pi} \sin ^{2} \theta \left[\left(-\vec{e}_{\theta}\right) \cdot \vec{e}_z\right] d \theta$$ Substitute for ##\left(-\vec{e}_{\theta}\right) \cdot \vec{e}_z## and then do the ##\theta## integration.
$$ \begin{array}{l} m_z = \vec m \cdot \vec{e}_z = \frac{1}{2} \int \limits_{0}^{2 \pi} d \phi \int \limits_{0}^{R} \rho \omega\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{4} d r^{\prime} \int \limits_{0}^{\pi} \sin ^{2} \theta \left[\left(-\vec{e}_{\theta}\right) \cdot \vec{e}_z\right] d \theta=\frac{1}{2} 2 \pi \int \limits_{0}^{R} \rho \omega\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{4} d r^{\prime} \int \limits_{0}^{\pi} \sin ^{2} \theta(\sin \theta) d \theta \\ =p \omega \pi \frac{R^{5}}{5} \cdot \frac{4}{3}=\frac{3}{4} \frac{Q}{\pi R^{3}} \omega \pi \frac{4}{3} \frac{R^{5}}{5}=\frac{1}{5} \omega Q R^{2}\end{array} $$

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me :) and for your patience.

Likes TSny
That looks very good. Nice work.

Here's something that you might see in a later course. For any object with uniform charge density ##\rho_c## and uniform mass density ##\rho_m## and spinning about a fixed axis, there is a simple relation between the magnetic moment ##\vec M## and the angular momentum ##\vec L##. $$\vec M = \frac 1 2 \int \vec r \times j(\vec r) dV = \frac 1 2 \int \vec r \times \rho_c \vec v(\vec r) dV = \frac 1 2 \rho_c \int \vec r \times \vec v(\vec r) dV = \frac 1 2 \frac{\rho_c}{\rho_m}\int \vec r \times \vec v(\vec r) \rho_m dV$$ The integral on the far right gives the angular momentum. So, $$\vec M = \frac 1 2 \frac{\rho_c}{\rho_m} \vec L = \frac{Q}{2m} \vec L, $$ where ##m## is the total mass of the object.

For a sphere with uniform mass density, we have ##\vec L = I \vec \omega = \frac 2 5 m R^2 \vec \omega##. Substituting this into the relation above, $$\vec M = \frac 1 5 Q R^2 \vec{\omega}.$$

Likes LeoJakob

Related to Calculate the magnetic moment of a rotating sphere

1. How do you calculate the magnetic moment of a rotating sphere?

To calculate the magnetic moment of a rotating sphere, you can use the formula: M = Iω, where M is the magnetic moment, I is the moment of inertia of the sphere, and ω is the angular velocity of rotation.

2. What is the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The moment of inertia of a sphere can be calculated using the formula: I = (2/5)mr^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. How does the angular velocity affect the magnetic moment of a rotating sphere?

The magnetic moment of a rotating sphere is directly proportional to the angular velocity of rotation. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the magnetic moment of the sphere also increases.

4. Can the magnetic moment of a rotating sphere be negative?

Yes, the magnetic moment of a rotating sphere can be negative. This would indicate that the direction of the magnetic moment is opposite to the direction of rotation of the sphere.

5. What are the units of magnetic moment for a rotating sphere?

The units of magnetic moment for a rotating sphere are typically represented in terms of Am^2 (ampere meter squared) in the SI system of units.