Find Equation for Parabolic Mic Cross-Section | Miguel's Yahoo Q

In summary, The equation for the cross-section of a parabolic microphone with a 9-inch feedhorn placed at the origin is y=(1/36)x^2-9.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Could someone show me how to do this problem?

I don't understand anything about parabolas or hyperbolas and I need help. PLEASE show me how to do this

Find an equation for a cross-section of a parabolic microphone whose feedhorn is 9 inches long if the end of the feedhorn is placed at the origin.

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Miguel,

One of the wonderful properties of parabolic curves is that for any point on the parabola, this point will be equidistant from the focus (a point) and the directrix (a line perpendicular to the axis of symmetry).

Let's let the parabola's axis of symmetry be the $y$-axis and its vertex be at the origin (don't worry, we can use a vertical translation to put the focus at the origin after we are done). So, if the focal point is $(0,F)$, then the directrix must be the line $y=-F$.

Thus, for some point $(x,y)$ on the parabola, we must have the square of the distance from this point to the focus being equal to the square of the distance from this point to the directrix. So, we may state:

\(\displaystyle (x-0)^2+(y-F)^2=(x-x)^2+(y+F)^2\)

Simplify:

\(\displaystyle x^2+(y-F)^2=(y+F)^2\)

Expand:

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2-2Fy+F^2=y^2+2Fy+F^2\)

Collect like terms:

\(\displaystyle x^2=4Fy\)

Solve for $y$:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{4F}x^2\)

Now, if we wish to shift this curve vertically, so that the focus is at the origin, we may write:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{4F}x^2-F\)

Now, in the given problem, we are told the feedhorn (the focal point) is nine inches from the vertex, and so our cross-section becomes:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{4\cdot9}x^2-9=\frac{1}{36}x^2-9\)

Related to Find Equation for Parabolic Mic Cross-Section | Miguel's Yahoo Q

1. What is a parabolic mic cross-section?

A parabolic mic cross-section is a 2-dimensional representation of a parabolic microphone, which is a type of microphone that uses a parabolic reflector to capture sound waves and focus them onto a single point. The cross-section shows the shape of the reflector, which is typically a parabola.

2. How do you find the equation for a parabolic mic cross-section?

To find the equation for a parabolic mic cross-section, you need to know the coordinates of the focus point and two other points on the parabola. You can then use these points to plug into the standard equation for a parabola, y = ax^2 + bx + c, and solve for the values of a, b, and c. These values will make up the equation for the parabola.

3. What are some real-life applications of parabolic mic cross-sections?

Parabolic mic cross-sections are commonly used in parabolic microphones, which are often used in sports broadcasting, wildlife recording, and surveillance. They can also be used in sound amplification systems for outdoor events, as well as in research and medical fields for capturing and analyzing sound waves.

4. Are there any limitations to using a parabolic mic cross-section?

One limitation of using a parabolic mic cross-section is that it only captures sound waves from a single direction. This can be beneficial in certain applications, but it may not be suitable for capturing sound from multiple sources or in a crowded or noisy environment. Additionally, the shape and size of the parabola may affect the accuracy and quality of the sound being captured.

5. How can I use the equation for a parabolic mic cross-section in my research or projects?

The equation for a parabolic mic cross-section can be used to calculate the exact shape and dimensions of the parabola, which can be useful in designing and building parabolic microphones. It can also be used in mathematical and scientific calculations and simulations involving sound waves and reflections. However, it's important to note that the equation may vary slightly depending on the specific design of the parabolic microphone.