Solving the Parabolic Tunnel Problem by Friday

• MHB
  • Thread starter Alelin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving building a tunnel to allow 2 lanes of traffic to pass through. The largest vehicle to consider are trucks, which are 5m wide and 7m high. The task is to investigate the cross-section of a parabolic tunnel and find a possible equation to represent it, with enough space for the trucks to pass through without bumping into each other or the sides of the tunnel. The person is seeking help with finding the equation and mentions trying various methods that have not been successful.
Alelin
Hi I have to solve this problem by Friday
I have to draw a diagram to represent the tunnel on a coordinate number plane, and fix the equation of the parabola. Using algebra to coordinate geometry to determine the maximum width of the truck
the problem:
a tunnel is to be built to allow 2 lanes of traffic to pass from one side of a mountain to the other side (straight line no curves). the largest vehicle are trucks,which can be considered as rectangles 5m wide and 7m high.
Investigate the cross-section of a parabolic tunnel and find a "possible equation" to represent it. Allow some space so trucks do not bump into each other or the sides of the tunnel.
Please if you can help me to find the equation of the parabola to plug it into spreasheets it will be awesome coz I have tried in so many ways but it doesn't look good

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: I need help with excel

Well, start designing!

Width has 3 Parts
  • 2x Truck Width
  • 2x Side Space
  • 1x Middle Space

You'll have to decide the widths of the spaces.

Re: I need help with excel

Why didn't the solution I gave you http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f52/ales-question-yahoo-answers-regarding-tunnel-parabolic-cross-section-4872/ work?

Related to Solving the Parabolic Tunnel Problem by Friday

1. What is the Parabolic Tunnel Problem?

The Parabolic Tunnel Problem is a hypothetical problem that involves finding the optimal path for a tunnel that must pass through a parabolic-shaped mountain or hill.

2. Why is solving the Parabolic Tunnel Problem important?

Solving the Parabolic Tunnel Problem is important because it can have real-world applications in civil engineering and transportation. Finding the most efficient path for a tunnel can save time, money, and resources.

3. What is the deadline for solving the Parabolic Tunnel Problem?

The deadline for solving the Parabolic Tunnel Problem is Friday, meaning that a solution must be found by the end of the day on Friday.

4. What are the current methods for solving the Parabolic Tunnel Problem?

There are several methods for solving the Parabolic Tunnel Problem, including using mathematical equations, computer simulations, and optimization algorithms.

5. What are some potential challenges in solving the Parabolic Tunnel Problem?

Some potential challenges in solving the Parabolic Tunnel Problem include the complexity of the problem, the need for advanced mathematical and computational skills, and the limitations of available data and technology.