Feynman rules for Lagrangian with derivative Interaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of Feynman rules from a given Lagrangian, specifically the Lagrangian given by L = \frac{1}{2} \partial_{\mu} \phi \partial^{\mu} \phi + \frac{\alpha}{2} \phi \partial_{\mu} \phi \partial^{\mu} \phi. The conversation suggests using the generating functional with interaction terms method to calculate the Feynman graphs, but the focus is on deriving the rules from the Lagrangian. This can be done by rewriting the Lagrangian in terms of its Fourier transform, which reveals a vertex function of the form -i \alpha (p_1 p_2 +
silverwhale

Homework Statement

The lagrangian is given by:
[tex] L = \frac{1}{2} \partial_{\mu} \phi \partial^{\mu} \phi + \frac{\alpha}{2} \phi \partial_{\mu} \phi \partial^{\mu} \phi [/tex]

And the question is to find the feynman rules.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by using the generating functional with interaction terms method, but the calculation is huge and with it I get all the feynman graphs this Lagrangian can generate. But I am just interested in deriving the rules from the Lagrangian. How can I do that? I am clearly missing something, but what?

Physics news on Phys.org
As a start, you should rewrite that term in the momentum picture by rewriting ##\phi## in terms of its Fourier transform. You should find something of the form ##V(p_1,p_2,p_3) \phi(p_1)\phi(p_2)\phi(p_3)##, where ##V## should be appropriately symmetrized. You will be able to read off the vertex from this term.

Likes silverwhale
I indeed got the vertex function.

It is: [tex] -i \alpha (p_1 p_2 + p_1 p_3 + p_2 p_3) \delta(p_1 + p_2 + p_3) [/tex].

Thank you.

Related to Feynman rules for Lagrangian with derivative Interaction

1. What are the Feynman rules for Lagrangian with derivative interaction?

The Feynman rules for Lagrangian with derivative interaction are a set of mathematical rules that allow us to calculate the probability amplitudes for interactions between particles in a quantum field theory. These rules involve assigning a propagator and a vertex factor to each particle in the interaction, and then summing over all possible particle exchanges.

2. How do the Feynman rules for Lagrangian with derivative interaction differ from those for Lagrangian without derivative interaction?

The main difference between the two sets of Feynman rules is that in the case of derivative interaction, we have to take into account the momentum dependence of the interaction vertex. This means that the vertex factor will involve derivatives of the fields, whereas in the case of non-derivative interactions, the vertex factor is simply a constant.

3. Can the Feynman rules for Lagrangian with derivative interaction be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, the Feynman rules can be applied to all types of particles that are described by a Lagrangian. This includes both fermions and bosons, as well as their corresponding antiparticles.

4. What is the significance of using Feynman rules in quantum field theory?

The use of Feynman rules allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of subatomic particles in a consistent and systematic manner. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the outcomes of particle interactions, and have been crucial in the development of modern physics theories.

5. Are there any limitations to using Feynman rules for Lagrangian with derivative interaction?

While the Feynman rules are a powerful tool, they do have some limitations. They are most useful for calculating perturbative results, meaning that they are best applied to systems with small interactions between particles. In addition, the rules can become quite complicated and difficult to apply in systems with multiple interacting particles.