Fast Food Discussion: Mexican Pizza at Taco Bell

In summary: The Mexican pizza is back at Taco Bell.I like certain items at Taco Bell, but this is not one of them. I wonder what people like about it? I'd rather eat a crunchy taco...a real/normal pizza...I don't see the hype behind this concoction.I have a soft spot for Arby's roast beef sandwiches, because I grew up not far from where Arby's was founded. When I was a kid in the 1960s, my mother and I occasionally stopped at one of the first Arby's on our shopping trips to that city, as a change from hamburgers at McDonalds etc.Just last weekend
$7.49 for a spectacular Masala Dosa (dosa stuffed with spiced potato mix) and a side of Sambar and coconut chutney at a great strip center vegetarian Indian joint, less than what a fast food burger meal would have cost

(this is not the restaurant, but a similar pic)

masala-dosa.jpg

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
Too bad that's only vegetarian. If it had curry ground beef inside (along with the potatoes and any other veggies), that'd definitely be my kind of snack. Visually, it looks delicious!

Likes pinball1970
kyphysics said:
Too bad that's only vegetarian. If it had curry ground beef inside (along with the potatoes and any other veggies), that'd definitely be my kind of snack. Visually, it looks delicious!
Hard to find Indian restaurants that serve ground beef

• Haha
  • Skeptical
Likes pinball1970, kyphysics and berkeman
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/chick-fil-revives-two-summery-210402728.html
Chick-fil-A is bringing back two fan-favorite menu items just in time for summer!

The fast-food chain has announced that the beloved Peach Milkshake will be returning for the season this Monday, June 12, along with the White Peach Sunjoy, which is making its grand reentry to the menu after five long years.

The basic Peach Milkshake is one of the most popular seasonal shakes, according to the brand, with customers often marking the start of summer with its yearly debut.

The White Peach Sunjoy is riding in on the coattails of the limited-time return of Watermelon Mint Lemonade, and can also be ordered alongside a White Peach Lemonade, Iced Tea, or Frosted Lemonade.
I routinely blow my would-be retirement savings on such drinks (the way some do with Starbucks) and look forward to these delights.

I find the regular fresh squeezed lemonade (I ask for no ice always) to be worth every dollar. Looking forward to trying their summer peach offerings.

kyphysics said:
What is different & better about restaurant ranches?

The good ones are "home made" rather than generic canned stuff from the restaurant supply.

gmax137 said:
The good ones are "home made" rather than generic canned stuff from the restaurant supply.
Hmmmm...For sure, I can see how homemade versions are better.

But, overall, I think restaurant ranch dips are simply way better than grocery store versions for the reasons I laid out in the earlier post.

I was actually at Target today and went through their ranch dip offerings (some I've had before) and shook my head. Even the ones I hadn't had before, I did a "shake" test and they seem way too gloopy, gloppy, and thick/heavy.

As noted earlier, restaurant ranches are simply much more thin/watery/light, which I prefer (and tangy). The texture of store bought ranch is just gross to me and I end up never finishing the various bottles I buy.

Buy the dry mix and combine with mayo/sour cream/milk/buttermilk to your taste!

Likes kyphysics
kyphysics said:
Hmmmm...For sure, I can see how homemade versions are better.

But, overall, I think restaurant ranch dips are simply way better than grocery store versions for the reasons I laid out in the earlier post.

You might try buying the packets, and instead of adding the directed milk or mayonnaise, you might try experimenting with buttermilk instead (and letting it chill for a few hours). I haven't tried that myself with modern packets, but it might be worth a try. -- Or maybe just stick with the milk & mayonnaise but just use a lower proportion of mayonnaise.

Or perhaps better yet, experiment with all fresh ingredients (no pre-made packets). There are recipes and instructions on the Internet.

By the way, this "thick" ranch dressing, as it all seems to be at the grocery stores these days, wasn't always that way. While today, the Hidden Valley Ranch packets call for added milk and mayonnaise, originally the packets called for simply buttermilk. They changed it over the years. I don't see buttermilk sold as often for anything anymore, which may have had something to do with it.

Speak of which, the history of ranch dressing -- and why we call it "ranch" dressing today -- is a fascinating story filled with excitement and intrigue. From Nebraska to Alaska to California. There are dude ranches, Clorox, and beans that fit into the nail biting tale of trademark law.

Likes kyphysics
gmax137 said:
Buy the dry mix and combine with mayo/sour cream/milk/buttermilk to your taste!
Where does the tangy taste come from at restaurant versions? Lots of sour cream? I wouldn't think so, given sour cream seems mostly tasteless to me (it's not even really sour to me - if it is, it's very, very light compared to the "punchy" tangy taste of, say, Buffalo Wild Wings ranch dip).

Could it be a dash of vinegar? I wouldn't think so either, as that seems it would separate from the ranch and/or create "bubbles" of vinegar (I could be wrong).

I'm definitely open to trying to make my own. Just wish I knew all the ingredients and ratios used at restaurants where I like the ranch.

collinsmark said:
By the way, this "thick" ranch dressing, as it all seems to be at the grocery stores these days, wasn't always that way.
Oh, btw, I was talking strictly of ranch dip - not dressing (as in salad dressing) if that's what you meant. . . .I know some people might think both are the same, but they are different in my eyes.

Ranch dressing does routinely come in a thick, gloopy, gloppy texture - even at restaurants.

Ranch dip, however, should/does not at most restaurants that I have gotten it at. It's light, thin, and tangy (not some rich and saltier taste like the dressing and/or grocery store versions of dip).

I'm sure for some people this is a non-issue. To me, I notice it right away and am very picky about my preferences here.

. . .Don't get me started on salsa in store bought containers either. It's more like salsa SOUP! SOOO watery.

kyphysics said:
Minced lamb is good to go. Keema. It tastes ok but being mince and Lamb gives it the potential to be greasy.
You can get beef curry in the UK but the source will not be Hindu.
7.23am here and I am now craving curry.

Last edited:
Has pot noodle and similar had a mention? It ticks a lot of boxes, over priced for what it is, pretty unhealthy (just carbs)
It does not taste particularly amazing but I like it
To transform a pot noodle, put your hot water in and cover, I recommend "Bombay bad boy."
Leave 3 minutes stir and add lazy garlic and chilli.
After two minutes add a tin of tuna in oil (drained).
25g of protein, tastes great, takes a few minutes.

I was bored and saw this . . .it PERFECTLY describes my grocery store ranch vs. restaurant ranch dip dilemma. I'm actually surprised how much it mirrors the discussion here (only thing missing was my "tangy" point). He nails the highly flavorful aspect of "runny ranch" vs. the thick/heavy/glue-like taste of Hidden Valley ranch (or insert your local grocery store bought bottle).

Even funnier and better is the comment that the source of the runny ranch is somewhat secretive. . . .But, seriously, where can one buy it or find a recipe to it? No one seems to know. The non-restauranteur civilian (or non-experienced cook/chef) must suffer the indignities and horrors of Hidden Valley-like gloopy, gloppy ranch.

Likes collinsmark
For those who've never tasted a Nathan's hot dog, I think it's a must-try.

I was doing some shopping at Walmart today and had not had dinner yet. I walked by the hot foods area and saw $1.50 Nathan's hot dogs. I thought that sounded cheap and I like hot dogs usually, so I bought one.

This was one of the best hot dogs I've ever had. There weren't any condiments on it, as it was just the dog and bun. Yet, it was great - the flavor and quality of the dog were just so much better than other dogs I've had.

Time to get some more for next dinner!

Likes collinsmark
kyphysics said:
For those who've never tasted a Nathan's hot dog, I think it's a must-try.

I was doing some shopping at Walmart today and had not had dinner yet. I walked by the hot foods area and saw $1.50 Nathan's hot dogs. I thought that sounded cheap and I like hot dogs usually, so I bought one.

This was one of the best hot dogs I've ever had. There weren't any condiments on it, as it was just the dog and bun. Yet, it was great - the flavor and quality of the dog were just so much better than other dogs I've had.

Time to get some more for next dinner!

Yes, Nathan's Famous hot dogs are quite tasty. I agree. Also, Nathan's plays a big role in the history of hot dogs, going all the way back to Coney Island where hot dogs as we know them today* had their origin.

*(as opposed to their German sausage predecessors).

Likes kyphysics
Fast Food

Likes collinsmark
collinsmark said:
Yes, Nathan's Famous hot dogs are quite tasty. I agree. Also, Nathan's plays a big role in the history of hot dogs, going all the way back to Coney Island where hot dogs as we know them today* had their origin.

*(as opposed to their German sausage predecessors).
I bought 5 today and ate 3. Two left for tomorrow. For $1.50 (hot and prepared already), they are 100% better value imho than a McDonald's burger. I was reading online that Nathan's can have a "premium" attached to the price vs. other hot dog brands (. . .at $1.50 it's negligible for me if it's marked up), but to me it's very worth it.

The worst hot dog brands taste more like cheap spam meat (which I find repulsive). It's rare to find a good dog that you can buy at a grocery store, so I've been pleased.

Now...if they could only make some decent Spam that is reasonable priced. . .actually, I don't really like Spam at all (I know some people place it in the same category as hot dogs and other processed meats, but it's particularly repulsive to me for some reason).

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
My next trip to Walmart's hot foods section: I shall try their chicken egg rolls. They actually look tasty and are good sized. I really wonder if they make money on these items or if they're loss leaders (like milk) to attract people to buy actually profitable items.

Kroger/Harris Teeter's $5.99 fried chicken (8-piece) recently has also been another steal and very tasty (at least for the price point). That deal ended, but Friday's is often $6.99 (dollar more) fried chicken sale days.

My fast food for breakfast everyday:
Water
Pure whey protein
Concentrated vegetables powder [equiv of 3 helpings]
Concentrated fruits powder [equiv of 3 helpings]
Pure peanut butter
A few dashes of Stevia
10 seconds in the NutriBullet

kyphysics said:
My next trip to Walmart's hot foods section: I shall try their chicken egg rolls. They actually look tasty and are good sized. I really wonder if they make money on these items or if they're loss leaders (like milk) to attract people to buy actually profitable items.
Wal-mart does make a good margin on immodium tablets

Likes gmax137 and Bystander
BWV said:
Wal-mart does make a good margin on immodium tablets
No issues so far. :smile: I think McDonald's destroys my stomach much more.

Those turned out to not be called "egg rolls." They are some kind of "flor...." (first few letters sounding it out....can't remember exactly how the woman said it) dish. Probably just the Italian/Mexican or whatever name for the same concept as egg rolls.

2 for $2.50. Like the Nathans hotdogs, they were worth it. Those egg rolls (how I call them) had chicken and cheese inside and a nicely crisp exterior. They remind me of taquitos in their shape (long and thin), but the texture was more of a Chinese egg roll (chewy, flaky, and crispy flour shell) and the interior has much more gooey cheese than a normal taquito. They are thinner than egg rolls, but thicker than taquitos. They are like the perfect combo and I do like them more than taquitos and egg rolls.

You are all welcome for my Walmart reviews. Now go and enjoy yourself some $1.50 treats!

Last edited:
Flour tortilla flautas?

collinsmark said:
I don't eat at Waffle House myself (none nearby), but I know that Waffle House will operate on just the bare essentials in order to stay open at nearly all costs. As such, they probably avoid reliance on automated cash registers and things that might break down. For example, if the power goes out, or a store's computer system is damaged, they still need to be operating at full speed.

It's enough that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) based their disaster recovery index on Waffle House. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index
I got stranded in Charlotte, NC one winter. An ice storm knocked out power in the area around the airport, including the hotel where we were staying after our flights were cancelled. The Waffle House was the only place open.

The 1993 Storm of the Century (also known as the 93 Superstorm, The No Name Storm, or the Great Blizzard of '93/1993)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

Likes collinsmark
kyphysics said:
No issues so far. :smile: I think McDonald's destroys my stomach much more.

Those turned out to not be called "egg rolls." They are some kind of "flor...." (first few letters sounding it out....can't remember exactly how the woman said it) dish. Probably just the Italian/Mexican or whatever name for the same concept as egg rolls.

2 for $2.50. Like the Nathans hotdogs, they were worth it. Those egg rolls (how I call them) had chicken and cheese inside and a nicely crisp exterior. They remind me of taquitos in their shape (long and thin), but the texture was more of a Chinese egg roll (chewy, flaky, and crispy flour shell) and the interior has much more gooey cheese than a normal taquito. They are thinner than egg rolls, but thicker than taquitos. They are like the perfect combo and I do like them more than taquitos and egg rolls.

You are all welcome for my Walmart reviews. Now go and enjoy yourself some $1.50 treats!
They are called flautas (Spanish for flutes).

kyphysics said:

It's worth dining there just for the ambience.

BWV said:
They are called flautas (Spanish for flutes).
YUP.

I just bought some actually (an hour ago). I asked the employee what they were called and she said that too. Then, I realized they also have chicken egg rolls ($1.25 or $1.50 - can't remember which), which are located in a different area.

Walmart's set-up is a hot foods section by the Meat & Deli area with employees serving you. Then, usually there is a section at the front by the cash registers with heated hot foods with no employee service. You just take what you want under the heat lamps. I saw corn dogs there too. Everything seemed to be $1.25 or $1.50.

If these are not loss leaders for Walmart, then I give them credit for serving me something that tastes of higher quality for such a cheap price. Best of all, there is no 10%, 15%, 20%, etc. tip that is asked of me. I've gotten annoyed with the insane tipping for stuff that never had it before. Food like this is a last refuge in the food service industry that doesn't require a tip. More savin$ for me!

jtbell said:
I was reminded yesterday that a few of these actually do exist in this area. While driving home from a day-trip to Columbia SC, I made a detour through Newberry, and noticed this place.

View attachment 315297

I don't know how long it's been closed. A sign on the door says "new owners - will reopen soon".

According to Wikipedia, Zesto started in the late 1940s as a national franchise chain under a company that made frozen custard machines. Now the restaurants are independently owned and operated, and simply license the trademark.

There are two other Zestos in South Carolina, and one in Atlanta. The rest are in the midwest. I've driven past the Zesto in Chapin SC many times, including yesterday, in fact. It's about halfway between Newberry and Columbia. It's an indoor sit-down restaurant with a completely different "look" from the one in Newberry, so I didn't connect the two immediately.
I drove to Columbia again today. I didn't think about the Zestos in Newberry and Chapin until I had gotten to Columbia, so I didn't check them out.

Instead, on my way home I made a detour to the Zesto in West Columbia, which I hadn't seen before.

zesto-wcola.jpg

It was late in the afternoon and I had already told my wife I would be home for dinner, so I just had an ice cream cone. Their chicken apparently has a good reputation, so I'll have to try it for lunch sometime.

The layout here is a bit odd. You place your order at a counter in a small room, like at most fast-food places. Then, if you're getting something more than an ice cream cone, you go outside and re-enter the building via a separate entrance to the sit-down dining area, and receive your order there. At least the walkway is covered so you don't get wet if it's raining.

Likes collinsmark

McDonald’s is selling 50-cent double cheeseburgers for National Cheeseburger Day, Wendy’s is giving them out for a penny​

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/15/national-cheeseburger-day-mcdonalds-burger-king-wendys.html\
The fast food giant is celebrating Monday’s National Cheeseburger Day by discounting one of its most popular menu items: the Double Cheeseburger.

On Sept. 18 only, customers will be able to buy the sandwich for just 50 cents.

The offer is available only to customers who use the fast food chain’s smartphone app, and is limited to one burger per customer. . .

Wendy's is one-upping McDonald's by offering a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger from Sept. 18 through Sept. 22. The catch? The penny burger can only be added to your order if you purchase another menu item.
Is this per location? Or, can you only do it once (and cannot repeat elsewhere)?

On Chick-Fil-A's annual chicken day, I go on a route of 3 CFA's (total of about 15 min. apart) to get my free sandwiches. No limit on locations.

I finally tried Costco's famous hot dogs and also their pizza (which gets a bit less fanfare than the hot dogs).

Surprisingly, I found the pizza to be more of an underrated star than the ho hum hot dog. The large pepperoni was $9.99 (I think it was an 18-inch - HUGE size) had a good quality tasting cheese, a chewy crust (which I like), and flavorful sauce and pepperonis. Nothing was high quality, but nothing felt low quality either. It was simply a well-made pizza at a very cheap price value w/ decent quality ingredients.

The hot dog was okay. The bun was what ruined it. It was way too thick and doughy in a way that overpowered the tasty dog.

I'd buy both again, b/c of the value, but I'd prefer the pizza over the dog.

Likes collinsmark
I got a Costco hot dog a couple weeks ago, only to find they didn't have the brown mustard anymore. Not the same without it.

gmax137 said:
I got a Costco hot dog a couple weeks ago, only to find they didn't have the brown mustard anymore. Not the same without it.
I only had ketchup and mustard (ran out of relish there). I thought the beef itself was very flavorful. . . .That bun totally ruined it for me. SOoooo thick and doughy. Worst hot dog bun ever. . .it was more meant for a hoagie (and was even thick for that!).

kyphysics said:
This thread shall be a place where we can talk about anything fast-food related.

Does anyone here actually dislike fast food? I know it's not healthy, but it's sure darn good.

...The Mexican pizza is back at Taco Bell. I like certain items at Taco Bell, but this is not one of them. I wonder what people like about it? I'd rather eat a crunchy taco...a real/normal pizza...I don't see the hype behind this concoction.
Maybe Taco Bell is not the best for a pizza. Use Taco Bell for the items that you do like. Also worth to learn about other types of Pizza restaurants who can give or make custom pizzas, such as Pieology, who can give so many many different toppings like jalapenos, other chilis, cilantro, spicy sausages, and sauces other than tomato sauce.

Taco Bell's mexican pizza is really more like a tostada.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
gmax137 said:
Taco Bell's mexican pizza is really more like a tostada.
How do you guys feel about their "taco salad"? It'd rather have a taco salad than a Mexican pizza. Both share the same fried flour "crust." I bet they're the same ingredients overall too, but just arranged differently. More lettuce on taco salad too.

I haven't been back to Taco Bell since seeing a giant rat in the drive-thru lane.

Likes Khi Choy Xichdu
kyphysics said:
I haven't been back to Taco Bell since seeing a giant rat in the drive-thru lane.
What was he driving?

• Haha
  • Care
Likes collinsmark, Khi Choy Xichdu, kyphysics and 1 other person