Fast Food Discussion: Mexican Pizza at Taco Bell

In summary: The Mexican pizza is back at Taco Bell.I like certain items at Taco Bell, but this is not one of them. I wonder what people like about it? I'd rather eat a crunchy taco...a real/normal pizza...I don't see the hype behind this concoction.I have a soft spot for Arby's roast beef sandwiches, because I grew up not far from where Arby's was founded. When I was a kid in the 1960s, my mother and I occasionally stopped at one of the first Arby's on our shopping trips to that city, as a change from hamburgers at McDonalds etc.Just last weekend
kyphysics said:
I agree most fast food is pretty bad for you. But, I have to think Chick-Fil-A is one of the heathier (even if in relative terms) ones.

I've never been to one. I had to look it up to see if there were any nearby (there's one 3 miles away).

What do you get there? Some sort of chicken I presume. Is it basically chicken or a chicken sandwich with fries instead of a hamburger with fries? Or is it different?

I wish there were a Salmon-Fil-A franchise.

Likes Algr
Physics news on Phys.org
JT Smith said:
I've never been to one. I had to look it up to see if there were any nearby (there's one 3 miles away).

What do you get there? Some sort of chicken I presume. Is it basically chicken or a chicken sandwich with fries instead of a hamburger with fries? Or is it different?

I wish there were a Salmon-Fil-A franchise.
Do a simple web search. Mostly chicken sandwiches with a bun, and a few other chicken items.

symbolipoint said:
Do a simple web search. Mostly chicken sandwiches with a bun, and a few other chicken items.

I did look at their online menu. But under sides it had things like chicken noodle soup and greek yogurt parfait. I was thinking that people probably don't typically eat those things with a chicken sandwich. Hence my question to kyphysics about what he gets there.

JT Smith said:
I did look at their online menu. But under sides it had things like chicken noodle soup and greek yogurt parfait. I was thinking that people probably don't typically eat those things with a chicken sandwich. Hence my question to kyphysics about what he gets there.
Chicken Soup often would be unusual at any fastfood shop, but best to not discount the idea. Could be good soup; Pollo Loco has or had a soup, and certainly it was a nice one.

symbolipoint said:
Chicken Soup often would be unusual at any fastfood shop
Except for Chick-fil-A, Chipolte, subway, Panera, and Quiznos.

Vanadium 50 said:
Except for Chick-fil-A, Chipolte, subway, Panera, and Quiznos.
Fine. Unusual but not extremely unusual. Now we need to check at Burger King, In-&-Out Burger, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Carls Jr., and see if they sell soup.

Subway has 25,000 stores in the US, about twice that of McDonalds.

The top 10 in terms of stores are:
  1. Subway *
  2. Starbucks
  3. McDonalds #
  4. Dunkin Donuts
  5. 7-Eleven
  6. Pizza Hut
  7. Burger King #
  8. Taco Bell
  9. Dominos
  10. Circle K
If you drop the convenience stores and Starbucks, you would add Chick-fil-A (*), Wendy's (#) and Dominos.

The "*" means they have soup, the # that they have that iconic fast-food staple, hamburgers.

To me, this indicates the availability of soup is there. If you want to argue that the popularity of soup is fairly low, I think the evidence supports that,

PS In-&-Out? Carl's Jr? You must be on the west coast.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and Bystander
Vanadium 50 said:
To me, this indicates the availability of soup is there. If you want to argue that the popularity of soup is fairly low, I think the evidence supports that,

The availability isn't what I asking about. McDonald's has oatmeal and fruit parfait but I'll bet those items are far down the list of popularity.

I did a very quick search and found this website that listed the top items in each category at Chick Fil A in 2020. The #1 entrées were the chicken nuggets and the chicken sandwich. The number one side was the waffle fries. So it's what I was imagining: standard fast food using chicken instead of beef.

JT Smith said:
The availability isn't what I asking about. McDonald's has oatmeal and fruit parfait but I'll bet those items are far down the list of popularity.
He was responding to my comment from one of my posts.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/americas-fastest-growing-restaurant-chain-150000886.html
QSR Magazine reports that Jersey Mike’s is the number-one fastest growing chain in America: From 2020 to 2021, 246 stores were added across the country, bringing the total number of locations to 2,100, and the chain brought in more than $2.2 billion in sales, a huge jump up from the $1.5 billion in 2020 sales. Jersey Mike’s star is on the rise, and while it still has a way to go before catching up with Subway’s 37,000 locations, its exponential growth proves how far it has come from its humble beginnings to earn a spot among the country’s top sandwich brands.
They are pretty tasty.

Known for absolute freshness (daily baked bread, meat sliced to order, and fresh veggies cut every morning), I usually rate them about an 8/10. Only thing preventing me from eating there is pricing.

So expensive. Since I'm not the biggest sub fan and am fine getting lower quality (that is still good) at a much cheaper price elsewhere, I don't eat here.

Main problem from my experience was big WET, DRIPPY sandwich, so physically bad quality. I had something with lettuce, chicken, pickles, and i-do-not-remember what else. My preference of which store brand would go to Subway, because, just neater.

symbolipoint said:
Main problem from my experience was big WET, DRIPPY sandwich, so physically bad quality. I had something with lettuce, chicken, pickles, and i-do-not-remember what else. My preference of which store brand would go to Subway, because, just neater.
I've been a few times and never had a wet, drippy sandwich. I do ask for vinegar and oil, but it's a reasonable amount that never gets to that stage.

Maybe give them another chance if you liked them except for the drippy factor? Everyone I talk to usually loves Jersey Mike's. They also say it's expensive, so cannot eat there a lot.

I bought 3 big subs a year ago and they cost $52 (after tax). Harris Teeter has $5 sub days, where the size isn't as long, but the meat/toppings level is actually more. HUGE savings for only a slightly worse tasting sub (then again, I'm not a big sub fan, so maybe a true fan would notice the difference more), imho.

I'm guessing Harris Teeter (owned by Kroger) also loses money on those $5 subs, which they probably use to lure shoppers into buy other stuff.

I tried Chick-Fil-A's Chorizo Egg Bites today for $4.79 (pre-tax).

WORST item ever at my favorite fast food restaurant
i.) They were SMALL. 4-total and each was only slight larger than the diameter of a U.S. quarter. The height was about half an inch. So, these were TINY and you got so few. Over $1 for one. You'd think they tasted amazing right? . . .
ii.) Taste-wise, they had a barely perceptible flavor. It was mostly egg with a tiny HINT of chorizo and cheese. I was expecting a fluffy egg with lots of gooey cheese inside and actual chorizo chunks. NOPE. If there was actual chorizo, I didn't notice it. I only noticed chorizo "flavor" - only a tiny hint at that. No runny/gooey cheese either. If there was cheese, it felt very light and dry.

The awesome chicken biscuits are $3.19 (pre-tax) and a much better deal.

My rating: 1.5/10 :confused:

Last edited:
kyphysics said:
The reason I eat out a lot is that it's non-laborious all-around. I eat and throw my food bag in the garbage. No pots and pans to clean. No dishes. . . .The cleaning, for me, is worse than the actual cooking.
I tended to eat out when I was younger because it's difficult to cook for one. I'd get tired of eating the same thing for three days and would often end up forgetting about leftovers, which then ended up getting tossed. Also, the whole planning thing never really worked for me.

kyphysics said:
Cooking can be therapeutic/fun. Cleaning after a long day of work or right before work (when your mind is trying to prep) is not ideal for me. I know I pay more eating out, but it's a convenience factor.

The thing is...I spend very little on other areas of my life. Some people spend big bucks on their car...clothing...gadgets, etc. I'm a minimalist on that stuff. My one big spend area is food (eating out). I enjoy it and like that I don't have to "work."
Eating out is certainly more convenient, and often the food will taste better than stuff you make yourself. But I find fast food gets old really fast. I'd rather pay a bit more and get something that's more sophisticated than a burger and fries or a burrito.

vela said:
Eating out is certainly more convenient, and often the food will taste better than stuff you make yourself. But I find fast food gets old really fast. I'd rather pay a bit more and get something that's more sophisticated than a burger and fries or a burrito.
You're not trying too hard and the effort needed is yet no so much. But do not worry about that. Continue spending extra money for the fast-food you like. Finding the fast-foods are more expensive than you are comfortable? Time to learn to cook some foods the way you like and for often, less money!

symbolipoint said:
You're not trying too hard and the effort needed is yet no so much.
Did you intend to reply to me? I'm not the one who eats fast food all the time.

vela said:
Did you intend to reply to me? I'm not the one who eats fast food all the time.
Yes. I explained in post #191. Possible slippage within interpreting that part of yours which I quoted. Fast-food taste better? NO. You can control this when you cook the food you like your own way. Then, left-overs should be no problem. Convenient to "eat out"? I amn't so sure. You have to drive somewhere, speak into a big speaker, wait in line stting in the car, pass your money through the window, pass the food through the window, put in somewhere or somebody hold it and struggle to still put it somewhere, then drive home and carry the food out in the bags to bring into the house. On the other hand, sitting and eating at the fast-food place is uncomfortable.

vela said:
Chick-Fil-A isn't "sophisticated" (very basic conceptual items), but I honestly think they taste better than stuff you can buy at a more expensive casual/sit-down restaurant. Everything from their chicken sandwiches to mac-n-cheese, all the way to their fresh squeezed lemonade (amazing and refreshing!), I think they offer the best combination of value (cheap) + taste (flavor - even good quality real ingredients too - unlike most ff w/ "filler" ingredients/substances) + "health" (least unhealthy of ff places).

. . .Hence the reason I am there 4x a week and a lot of staff know me by name.

I think In-N-Out burgers are the same way. Way better than what expensive burgers taste like at a ff price. ..It's just that we don't have them here. Otherwise, I'd eat there 4x a week too.

symbolipoint said:
Fast-food taste better? NO. You can control this when you cook the food you like your own way.
Depends on the place. Depends on your cooking skills.

I'm not making any burgers and chicken sandwiches at home better than In-N-Out and C-F-A.

kyphysics said:
Depends on the place. Depends on your cooking skills.

I'm not making any burgers and chicken sandwiches at home better than In-N-Out and C-F-A.
Certainly. My skill for making a meat stew is good. I can make a chicken sandwich but this is definitely more work and more time-consuming, so is quicker to go to a chosen fast-food place, but then, I usually do not like their quality. Breading and frying the pieces of chicken is a big chore,...

vela said:
I tended to eat out when I was younger because it's difficult to cook for one. I'd get tired of eating the same thing for three days and would often end up forgetting about leftovers, which then ended up getting tossed. Also, the whole planning thing never really worked for me.Eating out is certainly more convenient, and often the food will taste better than stuff you make yourself. But I find fast food gets old really fast. I'd rather pay a bit more and get something that's more sophisticated than a burger and fries or a burrito.
This is about food we like and this is A. Usually overpriced for what it is and B. Not good for you.

That is what I think of when I think of fast food. That is what to fast food is but my caveat is that it has to be a treat. Once a month ideally but as you get older you earn more and can afford to do it more often.
At a time when you should be looking at what you eat a little bit more.
By you I mean me. I made a video, two actually on a place in Manchester.

I will try and post it. It not work last time.

A taste of Manchester where non of the food is actually from the UK let alone Manchester.
Or perhaps it is now? How long do we eat food before accept it as our food?
I did not cook Sunday dinner with Yorkshire pudding, I cooked Chicken Madras or Vindaloo.
Excuse the technology, I have never tried to walk whilst videoing and talking.
Plus people kept standing in front of the menus and ruining my shots. Anyway...
EDIT: Too big

symbolipoint said:
Certainly. My skill for making a meat stew is good. I can make a chicken sandwich but this is definitely more work and more time-consuming, so is quicker to go to a chosen fast-food place, but then, I usually do not like their quality. Breading and frying the pieces of chicken is a big chore,...
Any ability to make loaded fries?

In theory, these shouldn't be hard to make. You can buy frozen fries or just cut up fresh potatoes and put them in an air fryer.

Next, cut up a bunch of topping/garnishes (onions, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapenos, etc.) and have some bags of mixed cheese blend to sprinkle over them and give a bake in the oven.

Never tried it, but just thought in theory it should be simple. Main problem is that frozen fries NEVER taste as good as fresh restaurant fries. And, secondly, the "Ranch" dip you buy at a grocery store is NEVER as good as the ranch from some restaurant. I have no idea why, but it's always been that way for me. . .just can't find a "restaurant-quality" ranch at the supermarket.

kyphysics said:
In theory, these shouldn't be hard to make. You can buy frozen fries or just cut up fresh potatoes and put them in an air fryer.

Next, cut up a bunch of topping/garnishes (onions, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapenos, etc.) and have some bags of mixed cheese blend to sprinkle over them and give a bake in the oven.

Never tried it, but just thought in theory it should be simple. Main problem is that frozen fries NEVER taste as good as fresh restaurant fries. And, secondly, the "Ranch" dip you buy at a grocery store is NEVER as good as the ranch from some restaurant. I have no idea why, but it's always been that way for me. . .just can't find a "restaurant-quality" ranch at the supermarket.
Too complicated for me. No matter, I prefer not loaded fries. My best choices if I want "fries" or something approximately like that is Wendy's, McDonalds, or the Potato Wedges from the hot-foods counter of some grocery stores.

symbolipoint said:
Too complicated for me. No matter, I prefer not loaded fries. My best choices if I want "fries" or something approximately like that is Wendy's, McDonalds, or the Potato Wedges from the hot-foods counter of some grocery stores.
Wendy's (new version) are, indeed, sublime. A+/ 10-out-of-10
McDonald's are always do-able. Used to be the best - new competition beats them, imho. 9/10
C-F-A's waffles fries are 9/10 as well. So cheap. Under $3 (even after tax) for a large.

I could eat those alone.

I still prefer loaded for a truly divine and full meal out of fries.

I got 3 Dominos $5.99 deals last night:

2 salads; 1 medium 2-topping pizza

The medium pizza was worth every cent of $5.99. Those two salads were horrendous. Taste was fine, but the "space" in the container was practically all air. I don't know who (other than dummy me) would pay $6 essentially for one of those air lettuce trays.

My rating of Dominos $5.99 salads: 1/10

I feel I'd have to buy six of these just to get decently full.

kyphysics said:
I got 3 Dominos $5.99 deals last night:

2 salads; 1 medium 2-topping pizza

The medium pizza was worth every cent of $5.99. Those two salads were horrendous. Taste was fine, but the "space" in the container was practically all air. I don't know who (other than dummy me) would pay $6 essentially for one of those air lettuce trays.

My rating of Dominos $5.99 salads: 1/10

I feel I'd have to buy six of these just to get decently full.
Pizza place salad?

Likes collinsmark
HOLY COW, that was so accurate!

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
kyphysics said:
kyphysics said:
My technique is to eat the pizza then dip into the salad which is then cold relatively speaking.

Eating warm salad is like eating cold chips, it is wrong.
In the UK we tend to get onions which is good, I like my 1/3 of tomato and hot pepper so it's not all bad.
They also cut the lettuce.
Olives would be nice, I think they are not a pizza salad option unless it's on the pizza.

jtbell said:
In other parts of the US, I think there are still many small window-service ice-cream places, but they're often or usually not Dairy Queens. Instead, they're small local chains or individual operations, with names like Tastee Freeze, Dairy Dream, etc. I remember these being very common in the Midwest. Not so common down here in the Southeast. I can't remember a single one in the towns within a couple hours' drive.
I was reminded yesterday that a few of these actually do exist in this area. While driving home from a day-trip to Columbia SC, I made a detour through Newberry, and noticed this place.

zesto.jpg

I don't know how long it's been closed. A sign on the door says "new owners - will reopen soon".

According to Wikipedia, Zesto started in the late 1940s as a national franchise chain under a company that made frozen custard machines. Now the restaurants are independently owned and operated, and simply license the trademark.

There are two other Zestos in South Carolina, and one in Atlanta. The rest are in the midwest. I've driven past the Zesto in Chapin SC many times, including yesterday, in fact. It's about halfway between Newberry and Columbia. It's an indoor sit-down restaurant with a completely different "look" from the one in Newberry, so I didn't connect the two immediately.

Likes collinsmark
jtbell said:
[...] Zesto [...]

I have fond memories of Zesto -- or "Zesto's," as we used to call it -- as a child. My family would go there in late afternoon/evening, once every week or two in the summertime, to beat the heat.

I got my first brain freeze there. I didn't know what was happening and I cried like a baby. It was great!

The one in my hometown was outdoor only (no indoor sitting). I visited this summer and it was still open.

Last edited:
Likes jtbell
I need to end this thread. I gained 8 lbs. in the past month or so.

Face facial skin is sagging in a disturbing way that makes me look 15 years older. Holy cow.

Need to workout again. . . weights and cardio

Likes pinball1970
kyphysics said:
I need to end this thread. I gained 8 lbs. in the past month or so.
And why is this thread to blame?

Vanadium 50 said:
And why is this thread to blame?

@1:50

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50