Exploring STEM: Math, Physics, and Engineering Majors

In summary: But that's how you can start. After this, you can choose a more specific major field, which is likely to be a hard decision.In summary, the conversation revolved around the differences between various STEM fields, including applied mathematics, engineering physics, engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, and computer science. The speakers recommended exploring different options within engineering before making a decision, as all of these fields require a strong foundation in math and science. Ultimately, it was suggested to start with a general engineering major and then specialize in a specific field later on.
Varun Narayanan
Hey guys I am a senior headed to university
I considering studying STEM. I am not sure what is the difference between applied mathematics, engineering physics and engineering. Within engineering what is the difference between electrical, mechanical and chemical? Which one is suitable for those interested in math and science? I was also thinking about computer science. Please share your thoughts. Any background information will be very useful as well.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really struggle to chose study physics or maths. Most universities have a really broad maths and physics syllabus which will allow you to go into specific areas in STEM later! That's what I'm doing.

You're at the same level as me so I recommend checking out my site and forum, would love to have you there if you're interested in STEM too!

http://planckti.me

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Varun Narayanan
Varun Narayanan said:
I considering studying STEM. I am not sure what is the difference between applied mathematics, engineering physics and engineering. Within engineering what is the difference between electrical, mechanical and chemical? Which one is suitable for those interested in math and science? I was also thinking about computer science. Please share your thoughts. Any background information will be very useful as well.
Thank you

First two years of any of those degrees are basically the same, you should have time to pick a major after you've taken a few courses of each. Engineering physics degrees have a bit of a variance between schools, and whether they're accredited engineering degrees or not. If not, they're generally more like a physics degree, with some engineering courses mixed in. If they're accredited, they're generally like a engineering degree with some additional physics electives thrown in.

All are suitable to people who like math and science. The differences between engineering degrees primary deals with what systems you'll be working with. Mechanical engineering is more interested in materials science and mechanics, electrical is more interested in electromagnetism and circuit design, chemical, I have no real idea beyond my limited experience dealing with them in areas of materials science.

Likes Varun Narayanan
Varun Narayanan said:
Thank you

Electrical engineering is about applying electricity to do things and that can range from really high power applications such as power transmission to really low power things like electronics. Mechanical engineering is about mechanical devices. Chemistry is about studying how chemicals work, but don't forget about chemical engineering which I would imagine is developing practical chemical products. Whichever one is most suitable depends on which one of these applications you like the most.

Likes Varun Narayanan
Varun Narayanan said:
Thank you
Make an initial choice that will expose you to all of them: Engineering. This major field will require you study certain courses in Mathematics (through at least first three semesters of Caclulus + Analytic Geometry), Physics (fundamental three courses on Mechanics, Electricity & Magnetism, "Modern Physics"), and at least one introductory computer programming course, which likely is not really enough.

Likes Varun Narayanan

Related to Exploring STEM: Math, Physics, and Engineering Majors

1. What is the difference between math, physics, and engineering majors?

Math majors focus on the study of numbers, patterns, and relationships. Physics majors study the natural laws that govern the universe, such as motion, energy, and matter. Engineering majors apply scientific and mathematical principles to design and build solutions to real-world problems.

2. What kind of job opportunities are available with a degree in STEM?

There are many job opportunities available for those with degrees in math, physics, and engineering. Some common career paths include research and development, data analysis, software development, and engineering design. Graduates may also pursue careers in academia, teaching, or consulting.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to pursue a degree in physics or engineering?

While a strong foundation in math is helpful, it is not always necessary to pursue a degree in physics or engineering. Many universities offer introductory math courses for students who may not have a strong background in the subject. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts in order to succeed in these fields.

4. What skills are important for success in STEM majors?

Some important skills for success in STEM majors include critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical skills, and attention to detail. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for working on projects and collaborating with others in the field.

5. How can I prepare for a degree in STEM?

To prepare for a degree in STEM, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science courses in high school. It can also be helpful to participate in extracurricular activities or programs that focus on STEM subjects, such as robotics clubs or science camps. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the latest advancements and technologies in your field of interest can give you a head start in your studies.