Exploring Space: MSc in Physics or Aerospace?

In summary: Firstly, don't take my advice (or anyone elses) as gospel; the only possible truth - people can only speak from experience.I'm sure there are programmes which would accept you for an MSc in aerospace based on your physics degree. I'm asking if that's what you want to do - or if you're just reconsidering your options?
space geek
hi,

I am frm turkey and Ryt now I am in 3rd year of BSc physics. And i guess the thing I want to do is expore space. I want to do my MSc in US. Should I do my MSc in aerospace or continue with physics. Doing what out of these two would you advice. I want to design spacecraft s and that sort of thing at NASA or other organisations.

I am also very much interested in robotics so that I can design unmanned spacecraft s in the future. Can I do MSc in robotics after my BSc in physics. Would they consider me.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the one that you enjoy the most.

A question I'd want to answer would be: with my BSc in physics, do I have enough engineering knowledge to do an MSc in Aerospace?

J77 said:
A question I'd want to answer would be: with my BSc in physics, do I have enough engineering knowledge to do an MSc in Aerospace?

That's what I wanted to know from you people.
I am not sure if a US university will accept into a MSc aerospace with my BSc in physics.
Can anybody answer it.

I would worry more about your personal knowledge of the subject over acceptance from the university.

Ask yourself if you could cope with taking on a new subject - which differs greatly from physics.

Do you have any experience in aerospace engineering, eg. mechanical vibrations etc.

J77 said:
Do you have any experience in aerospace engineering, eg. mechanical vibrations etc.

Right now i don't think i have any technical knowledge about aerospace.

J77 said:
Ask yourself if you could cope with taking on a new subject - which differs greatly from physics.

I am not really sure about that. Though I will be willing to spend one more year in MSc, aerospace or robotics, if required just to cover the basics.

I also wanted to know if i do MSc in physics, what opportunites might i get to do anything related to spacecraft s.

space geek said:
I am not really sure about that. Though I will be willing to spend one more year in MSc, aerospace or robotics, if required just to cover the basics.

I also wanted to know if i do MSc in physics, what opportunites might i get to do anything related to spacecraft s.
I think you may be doing aerospace an injustice if you feel that one year would allow you to cover "the basics".

Personally, with physics in mind, I would think of materials - this would allow you a link with aerospace. Although it's hard to link the two, particulary as in most universities you find the two in different faculties.

If you want a science or engineering based job - you need the MSc anyway, possibly (for research) leading into a PhD.

Why choose the US to do an MSc in?

Would it not be easier to stay in Turkey for the MSc - ie. continue from your BSc?

J77 said:
Why choose the US to do an MSc in?

Would it not be easier to stay in Turkey for the MSc - ie. continue from your BSc?

I want to do MSc in US, because I think most of the jobs realted to desgining spacecraft s or things realted to that, are in the US.
I thougt that it would be better to do my MSc in US, if I am going to try to get a job in US.

J77 said:
I think you may be doing aerospace an injustice if you feel that one year would allow you to cover "the basics".

Does that mean I have absoloutely no chance of getting a MSc in aerospace or robotics, with my physics BSc. I cannot really restart with a BSc in aerospace.

If its not possible for me to get a MSc in aerospace/robotics, I wanted to know if physicsts have anything to do with NASAs or other private organisations space programmes. Then maybe I could do MSc in physics, and maybe later Phd. and apply for a job.
What should I do ?
I am really confused here.

space geek said:
Does that mean I have absoloutely no chance of getting a MSc in aerospace or robotics, with my physics BSc. I cannot really restart with a BSc in aerospace.

If its not possible for me to get a MSc in aerospace/robotics, I wanted to know if physicsts have anything to do with NASAs or other private organisations space programmes. Then maybe I could do MSc in physics, and maybe later Phd. and apply for a job.
What should I do ?
I am really confused here.
Firstly, don't take my advice (or anyone elses) as gospel; the only possible truth - people can only speak from experience.

I'm sure there are programmes which would accept you for an MSc in aerospace based on your physics degree. I'm asking if that's what you want to do - are you prepared for it based on your experience?

If you know nothing about aerospace, I'd have concerns that you can't catch up in a single year.

However, you presumably know about physics, and of course physics is well suited to space :smile: What are your strengths? - I suggested materials because I can see that as a cross-over between physics and engineering.

Look to see what research these space agencies do - look at how you can fit in based on what you know.

More practical questions - there was a jobs in NASA thread a while back and it looked hard for a non-US national to get in with them. Anyway, how would you fund an MSc in the US? Have you looked at the ESA?

First thing I would do is go to the NASA or ESA websites and find out what research they do.

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Careers_at_ESA/index.html

"Applications are accepted from nationals of ESA Member States: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, together with Canada which has a cooperation agreement with ESA."

Are you a Turkish national? - you may find stumbling blocks like this in many defence orientated fields. However, in the future, Turkey may be added to that group. An alternative is going into university research which doesn't have such limitations.

Last edited:
J77 said:
Anyway, how would you fund an MSc in the US?

ZapperZ said:
There are two forms of assistantships: (i) teaching assistantships (TA) and (ii) research assistantships (RA). No matter which form of assistantships that is being offered, typically what is involved is a complete tuition/fees waver, and a stipend. What this means is that your schooling tuition and fees are being paid for by your department, and you will also receive a paycheck (stipend) for your services. The amount of your stipend depends entirely on your school. So this award is certainly significant especially since top tier schools can have outrageously high tuition and fees.

I cannot really afford to pay, but I thought one doesn't have to pay for doing MSc, if successful getting an assistantship.

J77 said:
"Applications are accepted from nationals of ESA Member States: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, together with Canada which has a cooperation agreement with ESA."

Turkey isn't a member of EU yet, so I can't apply for a job at ESA.

J77 said:
An alternative is going into university research which doesn't have such limitations.

That is an alternative, but that would be my second choice. I don't think a university research would have much to do with spacecraft s.

J77 said:

How much time do you think it will take ? I could spend more than a year if that is what is required. Would they allow me attend undergraduate classes of aerospace/robotics if i am doing MSc from the same institute.

Last edited:
space geek said:
1. I cannot really afford to pay, but I thought one doesn't have to pay for doing MSc, if successful getting an assistantship.

2. Turkey isn't a member of EU yet, so I can't apply for a job at ESA.

3. That is an alternative, but that would be my second choice. I don't think a university research would have much to do with spacecraft s.

4. How much time do you think it will take ? If could spend more than a year if that is what is required. Would they allow me attend undergraduate classes of aerospace/robotics if i am doing MSc from the same institute.
1. How easy is this to acheive?

If I was interviewing you for, say for aerospace, I would expect you to have good background knowledge (from day one) just to get a place - let alone to receive funding.

2. That's why I said, in the future...

3. You need to look at the research areas of universities you're interested in - what do you want to do with " spacecraft s"?

4. This would be for you to find out - like I said earlier, they may be two different facultis so unlikely to give you a free ride. Plus, for the MSc, the prerequisite knowledge would be assumed from day one.

I think you need to do more research - look at the space sites, look at aerospace and physics depts at universities. Find out what you want to do before planning on where you want to go (and how).

J77 said:
I think you need to do more research - look at the space sites, look at aerospace and physics depts at universities. Find out what you want to do before planning on where you want to go (and how).

I think I will do that first. Thanks a heap for your advice.

space geek said:
I think I will do that first. Thanks a heap for your advice.
That's OK - I hope I haven't discouraged you, I just want you to look at what's required in a structured way.

Good luck!

NASA does employ a large number of physicists, I don't know what the physicists work on per se but you could look ino that.

Related to Exploring Space: MSc in Physics or Aerospace?

1. What is the difference between an MSc in physics and an MSc in aerospace?

An MSc in physics focuses on the fundamental principles of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. On the other hand, an MSc in aerospace is more specialized and focuses on the application of physics principles to the design and development of aircraft and spacecraft.

2. What are the career opportunities with an MSc in physics or aerospace?

With an MSc in physics, you can pursue a career in research, academia, or industry in fields such as materials science, optics, or renewable energy. With an MSc in aerospace, you can work in the aerospace industry, designing and developing aircraft and spacecraft, or in government agencies such as NASA.

3. What skills will I develop during an MSc in physics or aerospace?

An MSc in physics will help you develop advanced analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as laboratory and research skills. An MSc in aerospace will also develop these skills, but with a focus on their application in the aerospace industry.

4. What are the admission requirements for an MSc in physics or aerospace?

Admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, a bachelor's degree in physics, aerospace engineering, or a related field is required. Some universities may also require a minimum GPA and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Additionally, letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose may be required.

5. What research opportunities are available during an MSc in physics or aerospace?

Both MSc in physics and aerospace programs offer research opportunities in various fields. In physics, you may have the opportunity to conduct research in areas such as astrophysics, particle physics, or condensed matter physics. In aerospace, research opportunities may involve designing and testing new aircraft or spacecraft technologies, as well as studying the impact of space travel on human health and biology.