Exploring Future Time Periods: Pick Yours!

In summary, the future seems to be full of potential for exciting new discoveries and developments, but it's also possible that things could get worse.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If you had a pick of any future time period which would you choose, given that the future may be exotic or chaotic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the periods definable by me?
eg. Can I say
'whatever time period it is in which we have made alien contact'? or
'whatever time period it is in which we have established routine travel to extra-solar planets'?

Getting beyond this next US election.

No, make that the next two or three. I know, I know, there I go being an optimist again.

Likes CrazyNinja
DaveC426913 said:
Are the periods definable by me?
eg. Can I say
'whatever time period it is in which we have made alien contact'? or
'whatever time period it is in which we have established routine travel to extra-solar planets'?

Yes Dave

Whatever time period it is in which we have made alien contact.
Whatever time period it is in which we have established routine travel to extra-solar planets.
:cool:

Likes CrazyNinja
Whatever time period we've achieved:

- World peace (achieved by peaceful means only)
- Prosperity for all
- Effective, fair political and economic systems
- Automation good enough that working for a living is a thing of the past
- A completely green, sustainable economy
- Cure's for virtually every disease

I think I might have to be in cryosleep a while to see this one...

Likes TheNoobie001 and CrazyNinja
I think I just want to stick around as long as I can to see as much as possible of the future.

We seem to be in a golden age right now where we are making rapid advances in science and technology. At least enough to keep me engaged trying to follow it.

In less than 60 years we have already stepped on the moon and are opening the door to quantum computing. The first heart transplant was done about that long ago. Now more than 5,000 are done on a a daily bases.

We have been rapidly peeling back the mysteries of physics at a blinding rate, shattering preconceived notions of the cosmos and bringing to reality materials that only existed in the wild minds of fiction writers.

A a number of centuries ago a man claimed to have read every book ever written. Today you couldn't possibly read every title. A few hundred years ago technology was little different than it was a few millennia ago.

What's happened in the last fifty years is amazing. We have discovered more and open our minds wider in just those fifty years than the total sum total of our existence.

I feel so privileged to be here now.

Likes DaveC426913
I'd like to be transported forward in time to the point where we can take a human mind and upload it to an immortal machine. We may be there before the century is out.

wolram said:
If you had a pick of any future time period which would you choose, given that the future may be exotic or chaotic.

Revalation of future time lines is strictly forbidden by Article 38 of the Time Traveler's Code.

Likes Artribution
Hornbein said:
Revalation of future time lines is strictly forbidden by Article 38 of the Time Traveler's Code.

Do not be a spoil sport, i want to live in a future where we can use 100% of our brain capacity

wolram said:
Do not be a spoil sport, i want to live in a future where we can use 100% of our brain capacity

As my anatomy teacher said, we always use 100% of our brain.

Likes CrazyNinja
Likes diogenesNY
Late 18th gigaannum of the universe, because I have a project there.

If that doesn't happen, then whatever future date we end up being reconstituted or simulated by aliens, up to the hypothetical end of time.

Ryan_m_b said:
Whatever time period we've achieved:

- World peace (achieved by peaceful means only)
- Prosperity for all
- Effective, fair political and economic systems
- Automation good enough that working for a living is a thing of the past
- A completely green, sustainable economy
- Cure's for virtually every disease

Yeah, you may be waiting on these for a while. Aside from technological advances I tend to think that things get different, not better. For example: wouldn't it be great if the Nazis had never come into power! Yeah it would, and if the Kaiser and Germany would have won WWI it would have never happened! (Hope you're not English:oops:).

I don't I think I'd want to necessarily live in this time period, but I'd like to take a peak at the Solar System around 7.6 billion years from now. Watching some inner planets get consumed by the Sun expanding into it's red giant phase would be entertaining - from a safe distance.

Time period without judgmental bias intolerant elitist with power and the ability to abuse it.

It ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun... those will be times that change the world.

gjonesy said:
Time period without judgmental bias intolerant elitist with power and the ability to abuse it.
Shimmery blinky lights, rising humm. Flash of light and - BAM!
gjonesy finds himself transported to...
3,000,000 BC - before the dawn of genus Homo.
:DD

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
DaveC426913 said:
3,000,000 BC - before the dawn of genus Homo.

Like so many of these trips it's not actually seeing doing anything, it's getting to say you've been there.

wolram said:

Article 5951c of the Time Traveler's Code forbids revelation of the nature of future time periods. Sorry. Nothing I can do.

Hornbein said:
Article 5951c of the Time Traveler's Code forbids revelation of the nature of future time periods. Sorry. Nothing I can do.
Soooo... you're saying that, in the future Time Travel exists, and there's a Code regulating it, eh? Thanks for the inside info. :cool:
(An actinic BZZOWT! and that's the last they ever saw of Hornbein.)

DaveC426913 said:
Soooo... you're saying that, in the future Time Travel exists, and there's a Code regulating it, eh? Thanks for the inside info. :cool:
(A noisy BZZOWT! and that's the last they ever saw of Hornbein.)

I am fully authorized to distribute information that is not believed.

Likes DaveC426913
1960-1980's in the West. That must have been a great period. High living standard, freedom, but much more social security than now. At least that's how I imagine life there.

Likes Ryan_m_b
@Sophia I was there then. And now. I take West to mean Western US - maybe New Mexico

An emulsion is the distribution of insoluble tiny globs of oil-based molecules in water. Most emulsions tend to be thick and visually impenenetrable.

So: Life out here has been severely emulsified since the late 70's. Kind of like Zippy the Pinhead's comment: "life is a blur of meat and wacked-out politicians'
- especially the blur part. SSDD.

Likes diogenesNY
jim mcnamara said:
@Sophia I was there then. And now. I take West to mean Western US - maybe New Mexico

An emulsion is the distribution of insoluble tiny globs of oil-based molecules in water. Most emulsions tend to be thick and visually impenenetrable.

So: Life out here has been severely emulsified since the late 70's. Kind of like Zippy the Pinhead's comment: "life is a blur of meat and wacked-out politicians'
- especially the blur part. SSDD.
Maybe the US would have been ok, but I'm not sure about the social security it had in that period. I meant European western countries or even yugoslavia.
They had both freedom and employment and affordable social services. It may not be true but that's the picture I have in my mind :-)
Life is too complicated and unstable nowadays. I prefer stability.

the point at which the vast majority of humans have left Earth or died and every thing is easier due to lack of competition and life expectancy is a average of 200

I've been playing a lot of Fallout 4 lately, so being frozen for a few hundred years and waking up to find a radioactive wasteland filled with raiders, flesh eating ghouls, and supermutants wouldn't be too much of a psychological adjustment for me. A nuclear apocalypse with laser pistols and giant radioactive cockroaches? Sign me up!

Likes James Holland
I would like to rid myself of the current tech and return to a more slower age.
I would head forward 800,685 years. Their I would join the Time Traveler and the Eloi in AD 802,701 (The day after they destroyed the Morlocks).
This is reference to H G Wells, The Time Machine.

Hornbein said:
But which Star Fleet Officer ever listened to that?

Sophia said:
1960-1980's in the West. That must have been a great period. High living standard, freedom, but much more social security than now. At least that's how I imagine life there.

Well, being sent off to Viet Nam was no treat. Millions died there. Then there was the disco virus, which never went away.

Hornbein said:
Well, being sent off to Viet Nam was no treat. Millions died there. Then there was the disco virus, which never went away.
LOL we had disco, too :-D

Michaelhall2007 said:
But which Star Fleet Officer ever listened to that?

They didn't make programs about the people who actually obeyed orders.

Likes Megaquark and Michaelhall2007
Khatti said:

Can you imagine how boring those episodes would be? Typical episode: they follow orders, have no adventure, then spend the rest of the hour cataloging new species of space fungus or analyzing sensor readings to figure out how the nebula's composition varies slightly from the one they ran across in the previous episode.

Captain Clark: You can see from the spectral analysis that this nebula contains trace amounts of argon and neon.

Mr. Spork: Intriguing Captain, and very logical. Ensign Kalashnikov, please read off the wavelength of each spectral line for me again, and run us through the statistical mechanical calculations for a relativistic ideal gas so that we can compare those predictions to our observations.

Ensign Kalashnikov: *sigh* Vy do I haave to do theez for eevery neebula vee see?!

Likes DaveC426913
Megaquark said:
Can you imagine how boring those episodes would be? Typical episode: they follow orders, have no adventure, then spend the rest of the hour cataloging new species of space fungus or analyzing sensor readings to figure out how the nebula's composition varies slightly from the one they ran across in the previous episode.

Perhaps I need to start a thread dedicated to all the things I dislike about the Star Trek Franchise. The Dominion War in particular annoys me.

Likes Megaquark
Khatti said:
Yup! I have heard (and made myself) this statement many times about Star Trek.

There's a hundred other starships whose tale they did not tell.

Like there's been a thousand Greek Kings beside Alexander the Great whose tale they did not tell.